Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on April 7, 2010
When I bought it I thought it was a little pricey. I was so wrong. It is priceless. It is beautifully packaged and the best thing a Coward fan can possess. It has marvelously filmed, beautifully acted versions of The Vortex and Hayfever on the first dvd (There are seven) and a 40 minute fascinating interview of a mature Coward. Having never seen any of these, I settled down to a fabulous experience. The Vortex is wonderful, intense and was so shocking when it was written Coward had a hard time getting it past the censors.The biggest surprise in all of the presentations, none can be called dated. The clothes and settings are knock-outs. Hay Fever is absolutely riotous. I have watched it 4 times and howled with glee each time. Private Lives, which I have heard of all my life but never seen is wonderful and again, it isn't dated at all.
So, bottom line. The $60+ this album costs is a huge bargain. I just cannot praise it highly enough. If you are a Noel Coward fan, this is the first must-have on your list. Do whatever you need to do to get it legally. Amazon is the best place to start. Do not deprive yourself of the treat of a life time.
on August 6, 2017
Most of the DVDs had either been used or simply would not play ..I tried on 3 different machines ,,what I saw I liked but very frustrating that on most DVDs I could only see the first 60%
on November 16, 2008
If you ever doubted that Noel Coward was a great writer, then buy this collection and be persuaded. Glittering productions of most of his masterpieces, with splendid casts. I missed BLITHE SPIRIT, but I guess you can't have everything (it is represented, however, in a radio production).

The collection as a whole is a rave, but I do want to single out a few of my personal favorites: Penelope Keith, who stars in both HAY FEVER and PRIVATE LIVES, is a particular standout; she has the Coward style absolutely to a "T." Rula Lenska (who achieved fame here in the 1970s when she did a series of commercials for Alberto VO5 hairspray) is lusciously luminous in DESIGN FOR LIVING. Joan Collins's anthology series TONIGHT AT 8:30 presents eight of Coward's famous (and not-so-famous but still worthy) one-acts, in perfect productions -- including fine, vanity-free performances from Collins herself that will give you a new respect for her. I could go on an on; suffice to say every item in this 7-disc collection is worth seeing, and many of them are unforgettable.

The package isn't flawless; some of the (audio only) radio productions are difficult to access, and the radio PRIVATE LIVES doesn't play in the proper order -- if you don't know the play you'll be awfully confused listening to it (better watch the superb production with Ms. Keith and Alec McCowen first, just to familiarize yourself).

All of these productions are British TV productions from the 1970s and '80s that, as far as I know, were never broadcast in the U.S., so every disc is a revelation. If you are a fan of Noel Coward, or theater, or great sophisticated comedy, you absolutely cannot be without this superb collection. It's an embarrassment of riches.

And best of all, as great as this set is, enough of Coward's career is left untouched to supply an equally lavish Volume Two. So how about it, BBC...?
on March 17, 2014
Without a doubt one of the best DVD collections available - an absolute 'must have' for anyone with a civilized sense of humour. 'The Master, ' Sir Noel Coward (1899-1973), at his very best; these plays are superbly acted by well known stars. They will be enjoyed over and over again. Mostly written in the 1920s, 30s and 40s; these 21 TV and stage versions were broadcast by the BBC throughout the 1980s and early 90s. Also included are three radio versions, two interviews and performances of some of his songs. Each of the 7 discs contains from between 5 and 8 hours of suberb entertinment which makes this set quite good value.
on September 5, 2017
Disc's do not read all the way through. I have tried several computers, a region free DVD player, even a Playstation 4. I have tried playing back on 2 different shipments. No luck, just a lot of frustration.
on September 3, 2010
Oh if Life could imitate Art then I would live in the world of Noel Coward. Reading his short stories is what spurred me on to order this fantastic collection of a portion of his work. My husband and I and our 13 year old daughter are quiet as mice as we watch these shows. In fact, my daughter is the one that requests we sit down and watch another show of "Uncle Noels". The acting is spellbinding and the Best of British Best are in these shows. Not to diminish their ability, but really, even a rank actor could pull off Coward's work. You can't do much wrong with his writings. It is just that remarkable. It plays itself. I imagine it is like being inhabited by the playwright himself: follow his lead and go. I find myself startled at the genius of Coward. The examination of the human condition, profound. And with this, his work will be timeless and never dated. The era seems almost irrelevant, it is the full understanding of the actions of people and the decisions they make that is compelling and I believe spans to people today in our mad society. Watching these collective disks made me smile with tears in my eyes. I wish I could have met Coward....and I do miss him all the same.
on November 18, 2012
I loved this collection and kept it for years. Unfortunately, I gave it away to someone else who also shared my appreciation of noel coward and now that i want to purchase it again, it's not available. Please get the problem fixed, Amazon, so I can buy myself another copy. I don't get what the problem was - it's great.
on December 27, 2008
The Coward Collection is a generous serving of the Master's works, principally culled from BBC production of the late 1970's and 1980's. If some of the productions are showing their age, there is still much to enjoy. Hay Fever, one of the earliest and funniest plays, received a curiously static and slow-moving treatment with a stellar cast valiantly battling the direction. Present Laughter is a filmed stage production with the redoubtable Donald Sinden in full mugging mode: but he nails the laughs.Cutaways to the audience are irritating, but possible were used as editing points. Ian Holm and Judi Dench in Mr. & Mrs. Edgehill, Tom Courtenay in Me And The Girls, Margaret Leighton in The Vortex (wildly melodramatic but undeniably powerful): there is much to treasure. Highly recommended.
on June 8, 2015
If you have any feeling for Noel Coward at all, you must own this collection.
on February 13, 2008
This 7-disc album is a feast for Noel Coward devotees. You will find in this album his plays, dramatizations of his short stories, music and interviews. No matter that some items are somewhat dated. There are enough delicious treats so that you can choose your favorites among them.