Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 338 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 561 reviews
on January 26, 2015
I teach graphic design courses at a local community college and this updated edition is well worth the extra $2 (from the previous edition). It still provides easy to understand examples of the concepts she covers then explains why these are important. But its updated graphics gives it a much more professional yet friendly feel and she cut back on cuteness that seemed to diminish the level of knowledge within it.
on March 7, 2015
Excellent info. Love how he includes loads of examples, asking us to figure out what isn't working with each example. Worth every penny...my new graphics are hugely improved and more importantly, I UNDERSTAND why! :-)
on September 28, 2015
This book was exactly what I needed. I'm just getting into graphic design and design principles. I love this book because there are many exercises that help reinforce the lessons you are learning. The author has created a book that is not only easy to understand but inspirational as well. She encourages the reader to use their designer's eye when moving though our daily travels, therefore we learn to see things with a fresh vision.
on January 14, 2017
This book teaches you the fundamentals of design, not only with examples but also with problems to solve. Definitely a keeper.
on September 17, 2017
Teaches a lot about design principles. Easy to read. Plenty of illustrated examples. Good section on fonts. I bought 2nd ed.; so price was right. Recommend without hesitation for anyone who wants a quick and good tutorial on graphic design.
on July 15, 2016
Exactly what I was looking for - breaks down a lot of the very basic principles of design in a way that someone with no formal experience can understand. The author is a very good teacher, and goes over things thoroughly, repeatedly, and with lots of examples. Definitely recommend the book for someone who wants to get a grasp of basic design concepts.
on November 28, 2013
I purchased the Kindle version of this book, and I can't express how much I love it. I'm a Mass Comm student with a graphic designer job, and I wanted to learn more about design. When I stumbled upon this book I knew I had to have it. I know now why people rave so much about WIlliams and her books. I've learned so much from this book in so little time. She explains things simply but thoroughly. She provides LOTS of examples to help you visualize what she's writing about (perfect for us artsy people who learn best visually). She reiterates her lessons to remind you of them throughout the different sections of the book. This book made me so excited about learning, and that's a lot to say of anything nowadays. WIlliams even provides little self-quizzes throughout the book; what a smart touch. What I would like to boast most about of this book is the fact that it teaches awareness. You may read some of these lessons and think to yourself "well, duh, I already do that," and that's great. WIlliams will teach you WHY you do these things and how to recognize their benefits so you repeat them in the future. She will thoroughly explain concepts that are new to you as well, describing how, why, when, and where to use them. This book has a nice balance of "do's" and "don'ts". Great for those who want to brush up on their skills or for beginners. Very easy to follow and understand. WIlliams writes with clarity, ease, and lightheartedness. Definitely recommending.
on August 12, 2016
Good intro book to design, especially useful for teachers who want to make presentations that don't suck.
on September 20, 2014
Robin Williams has aptly entitled her book The Non-Designer's Design Book. In a conversational tone she teaches the neophyte to learn and apply "design and typographic principles." Each design principle is presented in a large bold font and followed by easy-to- understand illustrations; and a little quiz (answers included) to test your comprehension follows each chapter.The entire layout of this book is reader friendly, and the author writes in a clear succinct style which makes learning design easy and fun.
Now when I read magazines and newspapers, etc., I recognize the basic design principles on the page. What's better, is that the documents I now create are much more eye-catching and interesting. This book is certainly an excellent read for those who don't have much experience with graphic design but want to create documents that are inviting and engaging.
on January 8, 2013
Content was so so, not a lot of relevant explanation of concepts, but the formatting for kindle was just horrible, there was no telling which paragraph referred to which illustration.