Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on February 2, 2012
This book is the best book I have read on non-verbal communication to date. It had me constantly saying this: "So THAT'S why people react that way to me!" For example, I have found women tend to think I am flirting with them when I am not. I couldn't figure out why. This book answered that question: I was looking at the wrong part of their face when talking. This, and many more examples, has provided me the kind of information I have always needed. My only regret is that I did not study this book at least once a year from the moment I could read so that I could have avoided so much confusion and failure due to accidental communication!

Also, it is grammatically perfect (rare, it seems, in Kindle editions) and it helps you to keep reading by never getting too wordy, yet always providing all the crucial detail. I read most of this book straight through. It is excellent in every way. I'm very happy I spent the money and time on this book.
on June 27, 2010
The author provided information she usually gives in business consultations to improve the ability to understand nonverbal messages hidden in body language for successful communicationThe Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work (Bk Business) . Based on neurolinguistic programming and Ericksonian psychology, this book gave suggestions on what to look for and try in the workplace to understand customers, colleagues and your boss. Because communication is 93% nonverbal, the astute individual needs to "read" those speaking to him/her and consciously choose his or her sincere nonverbal to enhance any conversation.

What I appreciated most was the format with photos and "try it" suggestions to actually practice and improve my current ability to read body language. While body language is an important part of all communication, validation of what it suggests should always be confirmed. However, I trust body language more than what is said,especially if it seems to be an unconscious expression.

Finally, the 182-paged paperback is light reading, easily done in any setting, good introduction to body language, and definitely met my needs for a college course.
on August 15, 2013
This was a very informative book on how people react, talk, and even feel about you with their body. I believe one of the book's best advice was one the lady took from a cop. Look at the feet, hands and face...in that order. Feet don't lie!!!! If they face you, they like you, away from you... not so much. 90% of what the body says tells us how the other person feels about you. So is someone is sitting by you, is leaning in, eyes dilated, palms out. Yeah, they interested in you!! Saw this for myself. Wished I looked at their feet though! The section on different cultures was interesting to read.
on November 19, 2009
I work for a large retailer. Working with my co-workers and with the public, I have learned from this book that people send you lots of non-verbal messages every time you interact. This book has helped me spot non-verbal cues and improved my communication not only with customers, but with my subordinates and superiors as well.
I've also learned to watch out for the non-verbal cues I might be sending. I have become more aware of my body language and, conversely, when I WANT to send a non-verbal message to someone, I now know how.
The techniques for both recognizing and utilizing body language are clearly explained and the photos that accompany the text are very helpful.
on December 14, 2008
I had the benefit of reading THE NONVERBAL ADVANTAGE, by Carol Kinsey Goman, while traveling on business. I say it was a benefit because I was able to apply what I read while observing the people in the airport. It was a real eye opener and really even gave me somewhat of a sense of empowerment knowing that I knew what people were really saying with their bodies.

Several years ago, I went through a training course on Integrity Interviewing, so I knew a lot of this stuff already, but I was very surprised at how much I DIDN'T know. I'm not just talking about reading other people, but my own actions as well. There is a great deal of information here on how our body language will invite others to be more open with you.

The subtitle here is SECRETS AND SCIENCE OF BODY LANGUAGE AT WORK, and this is critical knowledge for anyone in business, but it goes much further than that. This is somewhat of a training manual on social skills, both business and personal. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't benefit greatly from reading this book.
on February 10, 2014
This book reminds me of a mirror - it's what we likely look like to others, and what those images mean and the messages they convey. I learned long ago not to cross my arms when talking with someone - this book dives in to many other do's and don'ts with regards to not what we are saying - but how we say it.
on April 3, 2010
For the most part, the book offers insight into what most people would take as common sense. There are some rare pieces of information, however, that did prove to be interesting, i.e. pupil dilation, eye and feet movements. I also liked that there was an entire chapter devoted to cultural differences regarding body language. Overall, the book is a very quick read.
on April 4, 2014
I enjoyed the book. It gaves great detail to the responses one would look for as well as self examinations throughout the chapters. I was impressed and learned a lot. Highly recommended!
on March 1, 2016
Timely delivery. Product as described.
on December 20, 2013
I have a real interest in people and how their actions and movements tell others about them. I think this book will be invaluable.