Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 9, 2017
Okay, so when this book was recommended to me, I'll admit I was apprehensive. Huge mistake. I'm a huge reader, and it's hard for me to take longer than 1 week to read a book. So, you can imagine how hard it is to pick a FAVORITE. Not in this case. The notebook is one of my favourite books of all time. You feel transported into this magical world as Noah reads his journal to his dear wife to try to get her to remember him (I won't give any spoilers). As a writer myself, Nicolas Sparks has given me skills and tools I never knew before. All in all, you really should read this book if you are looking for a good romance that keeps you on edge.

I would recommend this book for ages 13 and up, for there are some scenes which may not be sutible for younger children. Also, this book was made into an amazing movie.

On a side note, if you enjoy this book, continue the story by reading The Wedding, the fabulous sequel to The Notebook.
3 people found this helpful
on January 22, 2015
Well, what can I say; I did not love this. I like some of Mr. Sparks other books and have recommended A Walk to Remember, The Lucky One, and The Rescue to many of my friends. I especially felt that there was a special magic to the book A Walk to Remember. I enjoyed the movie The Notebook, so I figured it was time I read the book. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The story seemed to lack substance, and the writing style fell into a lot of gimmicks, such as Allie checking herself out in the mirror to get in her physical description. The "young love" portion of the book is told in summary, so you never really feel Noah and Allie's connection. You're just told they have one, and that's kinda dull. The movie showed this part of Noah and Allie's lives and it made a huge difference conveying the strength of their feelings for one another. So, let me put it this way, the book version of The Notebook is to the movie, what the movie version of The Lucky One is to the book. In other words, watch the movie of The Notebook, don't read the book unless you want to be bored or you're having trouble falling asleep. Read The Lucky One, but don't watch the movie unless you wish to be bored or you're having trouble falling asleep.
7 people found this helpful
on April 8, 2013
In his first published novel Nicholas Sparks shows us his understanding about love and relationships and how they can endure across the years. It is a very emotional and touching book. Some of us are lucky enough to have a perfect soul-mate - Noah found his early on just before WWII and she walked out of his life.

One fateful summer two teenagers, Noah and Allie, find that they share the same world and fall in love. Noah's father has given him a life-long love of poetry which he shares with her. Allie has artistic skills and she shares her ambition with him that she wants to follow these skills wherever they take her.

Allie's parents don't approve of her relationship with Noah as he doesn't have the education, money or social position to be suitable for their daughter. They move away and there are no replies to Noah's many letters.

Roll forward 14 years and Noah has returned home after a gruelling war. He has never forgotten his first love and loses himself in poetry and the physical task of restoring a lovely antebellum mansion in New Bern. One of Allie's paintings has pride of place in the restored home but otherwise the beautifully restored house seems empty.

Allie's life seems perfect - she has followed her parents' wishes, given up her art and is now about to make a perfect marriage to a kind, hard-working, rich and ambitious man. Her world changes when she learns about Noah's restoration work in a newspaper. Three weeks before her society wedding she finds herself driving to New Bern to find Noah for reasons she herself does not fully understand. The unexpected reunion is very emotional and shows the writing skills that have made Sparks a best-selling author in this genre.

The closing chapters skip to a geriatric nursing home. They are well written but left me emotionally disturbed as I am already over my allotted time of "three score years and ten".
on November 30, 2013
In so many ways this is my parents life. My Mom had Alzheimer's Disease and had to be put in a Nursing Home, but my Dad lives with my sister and he went to the Nursing Home every night for the past 11 years. He would spend time with her, feed her ice cream, help to bathe her and get her ready for bed. He would cover her in a quilt and whisper sweet somethings to her, told her he loved her, said goodnight and God Bless you. On November 8th, 2013, she passed away. The day of her Service before they closed the casket, my Dad tucked her in one last time. They both were 90 years old and both never dated anyone but each other. What an inspiration, honourable, devoted and loving parents we have. NICHOLAS SPARKS this book is phenomenal!!! Breathtaking story!
3 people found this helpful
on August 11, 2011
I first watched the movie and than check to see if there was a book. The reviews were good. There where negative dislike comments made by others. My decision was to buy the book. I am not disappointed.

It is a touching love story that starts when they are teenagers and lasts into their 90's.

Allie and Noah, two young people from different backgrounds and families. Separated but never forgetting when love was young and sweet and tender. After 14 years just 3 weeks before Allie is to marry another man, she finds Noah.

The marry and after many happy years they are separated again, this time by a devastating disease called Alzheimer. Before she become completely lost, she and Noah write their stories in letters to each other. When her memory is gone and she no longer knows her husband and children, he reads these to her as if a story.

The end scene is touching. Best friends and lovers, love that is complete mind, body, soul, and spirit. Very few find that kind of a deep love.

I have seen the devastation of this disease in my own family with a much loved aunt and uncle, siblings of my mother. That is the sad part, knowing this disease.

Don't base your decision about reading any book based on the negative comments left on the review by another. Anyone reading the story is free to writing their own review.
2 people found this helpful
on March 17, 2018
I liked the book as much as the movie it gave more vivid details of their story how they found out about Allie’s illness and touched a bit on the children they had. It almost made you want more information like their was a true history behind the characters like they were real life people. I am about to read The Wedding and hope that I find it just as intriguing. Nicholas Sparks is a fantastic writer and I was sad to hear that there will not be anymore screen adaptations of his novels .
on May 24, 2014
The best movie and book I have ever read because it so deals with life as it really is. Whether or not N. Sparks wrote it as a true
story, I don't know. I do know that it was a true to life story.....life as it really is ! I am not usually a "crier", but that story touched me
like no other story I have ever read. I have read it more than once and I bought it for my sister and before I got to the mail box with
it I read her copy over a week end. As far as I am concerned, Nicholas Sparks outdid himself on this book, so if you haven't read
it, I hope you will not waste another day....READ IT. Darlene
2 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2014
I LOVED THE NOTEBOOK! I thought it was beautiful! Being the first book I've read by Nicholas Sparks I will definitely read more of his books. What captured my attention most was Noah's amazing love for Allie. I also liked how the story was told by Noah's point of view. (Spoiler! : At the last chapter, Noah tells how his and Allie's life turned out to be. He is an 80 yr. old man living in a resident home with Allie who had Alzheimer's disease. I don't think that Noah's and Allie's love could be related or at all like a married couple's love on the Earth. It made me cry, smile and made me think of how love works. It's truly an incredible story. It has a sad, yet happy ending. Allie has Alzheimer's, and Noah reads to her everyday to help her remember him, who he is, and there incredible life together. And yet, there are those miraculous moments in this story where Allie remembers there love once again, telling him she loves him. Noah of course holds on to everything in this moment, and it's just so beautiful. I love this book so much, and recommend to everyone just to read how incredible this love story is.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on October 18, 2010
I started reading this book at bedtime and found myself closing the cover well into the wee hours of the morning, unable to put it down. The story of Noah and Allie is a testament to love. Spanning a decades long relationship, The Notebook is about a love affair which has stood the test of time and is as deeply seated in love at the end of this couple's journey as it was in the beginning. As Alzheimer's exacts its toll on Allie's mind, wiping away the memories of love and family and joy, she is left with the story of her love affair with Noah, as described in his notebook. Through the story's telling by Noah, as he reads the notebook to Allie, we learn of the stormy beginning and the relationship that almost wasn't. We feel the passion and fire of first love and the trials and tribulations they endure when it comes to an end. But though having spent years apart, neither are able to forget the other and when good fortune tosses these two back together, the chemistry between these characters is as alive and vibrant as in the beginning.

Allie and Noah's love endures and they live their happily ever after. But the true gift of this story is that the reader gets to move beyond the fairytale end experience the peaks and valleys of "ever after". Heart-wrenching and hopeful, this book has earned a permanent place on my bookshelf. Sparks clearly is a wonderful storyteller with a tremendous grasp on the complex nature of love and human nature.
on September 17, 2014
This book surprised me. In both good and bad ways.

In the good way, it surprised me by being different than I expected. I liked the plot and how it was paced. I liked that it was different from the movie and how the relationship between the characters was developed both in the present and in the descriptions of their original romance.

In the bad way, it bummed me out because a lot of what I think made the movie version of this story so great wasn't in this book. A lot of the magic of Noah and Allie's young romance is lost in this as it is merely told to us instead of shown. It feels like I'm being told about a story instead of being told the story.

That said, the book is worth a read. It is a good book that tells a beautiful story.