Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 145 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 193 reviews
on October 18, 2012
No matter what review you read or how you slice this book's content, you will gain enough insight to cover the cost, again - no matter what. Buy it. Don't hesitate - buy it. Or try to find it at the library, even the previous version will do. Steal it from a friend - just get this book asap!

At first I hesitated to read the reviews, because "The Now Habit" just sounded so gimmicky to me. I shudder to think that I would have missed out on finally changing something so close to my core that I never realized it was the root of so much anxiety and lower quality of life.

After reading reviews, I was well... desperate to buy this book. But being cheap and using the super saver option, I was told it would take 8-10 days to get here. So I immediately looked it up at the library, and they had a copy! So I raced down to the city library and signed it out. I was alarmed at the publish date... in the late 80's! Uggg, I had found the previous version. Weighing the investment of time (in reading a version of a self-help book 23 years old), I figured I should probably just read the older version and compare it to the newer version one it arrived.

I was absolutely stunned that this book is perfectly timeless. Reading this previous version just enhanced how potent and accurate the concepts are in this book. I found myself thinking... I could have had a completely different life if I'd found this book all those years ago.

When the new version arrived, I actually couldn't find any difference. There were probably some edits in there somewhere, but even the names and references in some of the charting tools were the same. So I (and you) would do perfectly as well finding that older version at the library. Again, I know I'm probably being annoying at this point - find ANY copy of this book!

The Now Habit does focuses on the root - it deals with the REASONS we procrastinate. It approaches procrastination for what it is - a symptom of a past experience, an irrational fear, or a variety of other reasons. Finally I've found a book that fixes the real problem. The bad habits just melt away afterwards.

I wish I could attach an emotion to my review, to explain how life changing this book was for me. I am a person who deals with concepts and practical wisdom. Dealing with symptoms or gimmicks will never work on me. I need to know what's at the root so that I can change my frame of mind from the ground up.

I am so much happier now and enjoy my time. There's so much less anxiety in my life now - I've pretty much done all that I was procrastinating. I've never felt this way before, and I'm 40.

If you still aren't convinced to buy, at least check the library. Borrow it, buy it, steal it... get this book!
on August 1, 2012
This book centers around the idea that procrastination is a natural response by the brain to high stress levels, and the two ways to break away from it are to create a situation where that stress does not exist (mostly through planning for breaks) and training your brain to either not register this stress or cope with it through rational thought.

Part hands on technique and part mental meditation, this book's advice might not appeal to some who dislike the idea of focused mental exercises. One good test would be to ask yourself how you feel about positive affirmations (the idea that through telling yourself a positive statement over and over you can influence your thoughts and actions). if you think they can work, you'll love the book. If you don't, you may not get as much out of the brain-training sections.

The only stylistic issue I've noticed is that some people have gotten very irritated by the fact that he uses phrases like "with the Now Habit you'll..." without defining what exactly the now habit was. This irritation probably comes from the fact that he gives no linear step-by-step program applicable to everyone. Instead he takes you through the stages of procrastination giving tips and insights. I actually found this more useful for my own style of learning, but can see why the title would be misleading.

I bought this book in ebook (breaking one of my cardinal rules not to buy ebooks which are expensive than print) because of the transformational experience described by another reader. I was not disappointed. I decided to go back through the book a second time outlining it along the way, and have already found several new insights.
on April 3, 2017
I really should wait until I've finished the book, but I've already seen enough results that I can't procrastinate on this review!

The message, tone and style won't be for everyone, but it works for those of us who need a heart-centered approach. Start reading, notice what resonates, and when a possible option occurs to you, just try it. That's how I have ended up with a system of planning documents that enabled me to make a full stir-fry dinner in the evening in the middle of a work week.

I'm generally too exhausted to cook at night during the week, to the point that food spoils in the fridge because my good intentions to eat healthy just aren't enough. But an affirmation came to me while reading: "When I am crystal clear on the very next step, I can do anything." So I wrote everything down, followed the plan to the letter, and it worked. Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, this is revolutionary in my little corner of the world. The stir-fry was a successful test case, and now I'm working on other plans and things are starting to shift.

I've read a lot of books on procrastination. This one is different.
on December 12, 2011
This book has really helped me stop beating myself up and get my Master's thesis done. I was tired of looking at the project but couldn't enjoy the rest of life because of the guilt of not having it finished. The author has a positive attitude about human nature and helped me to recognize some of my most anti-productive habits, while emphasizing that you don't develop these habits because you're a bad person! His explanation of why and how people procrastinate really rings true with my experience. It's great to know you are not alone in procrastination. He uses a lot of useful examples of procrastinators he's worked with, which includes quite a few graduate students. I've bought copies of it for my classmates who are in the same boat trying to get their theses done as well. When I hand final copies of my thesis in to my committee members, they are getting copies of this book, too, to pass on to future "stuck" students.

I'm not big into eastern philosophy, but there is something about this book that helps you become more honest with yourself, face your problems, think more clearly, and perhaps even establish a better connection with your true self (if that makes any sense!). The book focuses on getting the work done, but in the process real personal growth happens.
on January 29, 2010
I found this book very helpful -- easy to read, smart and dead on in it's observations of why people procrastinate and which approaches tend to work (and which don't). From the start, the author makes clear that, for most people, beating yourself up isn't the way to beat procrastination. If it was, you'd have solved your challenges long ago. He explains how procrastination is often a rational defense against fears of failure or success. This alone is worth the read and the book delivers quite a bit more. I also liked the book's tone, which is conversational and matter-of-fact. Fiore doesn't talk down or suck up or try to "motivate" you.

Be aware that while the The Now Habit offers a good practical approach to fight procrastination, its aim isn't to give very detailed and in-the-weeds tips for getting organized. If you're looking for that kind of detail, I agree with several other reviewers that David Allen's "Getting Things Done" nicely complements Fiore's book.

Finally, can't help mentioning Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." If you're procrastinating, maybe this 300+ pager isn't ideal (and it's also a bit preachy), but it makes at least one key point a bit more directly than Fiore. The advice is not to be so focused on getting things done that you forget to ask "what do I want to do" and "what matters to me." Covey's good reminder is that doing things MORE EFFICIENTLY is no substitute for making good choices in life. Each of these books has its strengths but I think Fiore's is the best place to start. Just hope this doesn't sound like an Amazon pitch ("better together") to buy more books...!
on August 16, 2011
What a fantastic book! I am so grateful to Neal Fiore for writing it and I thank my lucky stars that I found his book. Although I did buy the paperback, I also got the audible.com version and have been listening to it for the past week when I'm in my car. Already I have completed a task that had been hanging over my head for the past 5 months. I've been getting much more done with less stress and anxiety, and I'm only on the 4th chapter or so. I've also been enjoying my free time more, in that I am guilt-free, just as he says.

No matter how badly you want something with your conscious mind, if your unconscious mind is convinced that it could be dangerous or painful, it will find a way to keep you from doing it, every time. If you were raised to believe that your worth as a person was dependent on performing well, there is just too much at stake for you to risk failure. We need to separate our WORK from our WORTH. This is just one of many important insights I gleaned from this book.

Fiore also says that procrastination can become an addiction, because it makes us feel better in the moment, in that we avoid the source of our anxiety. But by constantly shying away from challenging tasks, we deprive ourselves of the opportunity to start out as a novice and gradually increase our skills until we are competent and then expert. Most of us procrastinators are so harshly judgemental of ourselves that we expect to be perfect right out of the gate, which is generally not possible if learning something new.

Really, I am just now realizing what a huge problem this is for me and how much it has held me back. If one has a phobia about work, your life will never be right. You will not live up to your potential, achieve your dreams, or succeed financially. Although our addiction is not obvious like an alcoholic's or a compulsive eater's, the effects are very real. I really believe this book will change my life and will report back on here in 6 months to let you know how it's going.
on April 22, 2013
This book was a critical piece of the puzzle in helping me complete my Bioengineering PhD at an Ivy League school* within 3 years of graduating from undergrad. I was originally recommended the book by my father, who told me the Now Habit's statistic that individuals who planned their leisure first (the Unschedule) were among those who completed their dissertations the fastest. Intrigued, I incorporated this into my schedule, and it worked wonders for keeping my energy up while pushing through difficult parts of my degree. On top of that, I felt happy, and avoided feeling like a slave to the lab. For anyone who has to rely on their intrinsic motivation and drive to accomplish difficult and nebulous goals, I can't recommend this highly enough.

*For those in the midst of their PhD programs wondering how much I produced, I had 6 peer reviewed publications (3 first author)
on August 7, 2009
I know that there are already 100+ reviews on here, but what the heck, Neil deserves my complements as well. Prior to reading this book, I was having serious anxiety about work. It was devastating. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why I couldn't "get to it" like all of my other colleagues. I thought I had ADD because I couldn't finish (or sometimes even start) my projects. I was so scared that I was going to get fired, I ended up going to a psychiatrist.I described my problem of being unable to work, get things done, being distracted etc, and they subsequently prescribed me ADD medication. However, after I took the medication for a month it still didn't help my problem. (Actually, the medication made me feel really weird , but I digress).

I stumbled upon this book on Amazon, and boy am I glad I did. This book saved my life, I really think so.
After I implemented the tools given in the book, I was suddenly able to get over my phobic response to my work anxiey. I started to become a producer. Knowing what I know now from this book, I would have paid $1000+ for the advice it gave me.

I just love the positive attitude that Neil conveys throughout the book.
Also, I would like to add that I work full-time and recently started university full time as well. And guess what, I'm on my third consecutive semester of getting a 4.0!

Thank you Now Habit!
44 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this book. In general, I really don't care for the secular "self help" genre. The format of most of these books is well-worn and unoriginal, as if there is a template that almost every one of the authors in this area use (maybe there is a self-help guide to writing self-help books that I haven't read). The Now Habit, unfortunately, doesn't really break the mold in that sense. There's plenty of almost-laughable psychobabble, and large sections of the book are repetitive...this book could easily have just been a long essay or white paper.

As an essay, there were enough insights about why people procrastinate, and practical pointers as to how to solve the problem, that I'm not going to recommend skipping this book entirely, especially if you find procrastination a problem. Fiore does seem to get to the heart of the inner motivations that drive procrastination. He also provides some helpful tips to improve - although the advice isn't universally helpful and not always very profound.

Overall, you can safely skim this book in less than a day and get what you need. I read it fast in a few hours over a couple of days.
on October 14, 2016
This book helped me understand why I procrastinate at times and helped me think through some strategies to work on it. Others have tried to help me understand with bits and pieces of these techniques. It's good to have it in one place. The insight st the end about managing and living with those who tend to procrastinate was also helpful.