Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 65 reviews
on February 10, 2017
I like to collect unusual books, and I'm newly interested in "The Nutcracker Ballet" --having received a Penguin Christmas Classic book "The Nutcracker" by E.T.A. Hoffmann for Christmas this year--the book that inspired the much loved dance performance. During a search on Amazon, I discovered "The Nutcracker Ballet: A Book, Theater, and Paper Doll Fold-Out Play Set," and I thought it promised to be a wonderful edition to my library. I was not disappointed by this clever adaptation from Mara Conlon. The story is engaging, and the illustrations bring the tale to life in vivid colors. The paper dolls match the book's images allowing the reader to become a participant in re-creating the story. This is a quality set that would make a fun Christmas gift for young ones who are interested in dance and theater. A dance teacher might enjoy this item too! I really like how the book opens to become a grand stage complete with appropriate scenery. A green strap allows the stage to stay open for the play. The hardcover outer "book" is sturdy and provides a fantastic way to carry the inner book, the theater, and the players safely together.
review image review image
on January 14, 2009
I bought this book/playset for my 5 year old so she would understand the Nutcracker story before we attended the ballet. It is WONDERFUL! She has re-preformed the ballet again and again with the beautiful paper dolls that are included. They did not skimp! There are plenty of dolls for all the scenes in the ballet and the dolls (and the book) are beautifully illustrated! It's so rare to get so much for your money these days...this book & playset delivers! I wouldn't recommend for children much younger than 5 as the dolls are paper dolls and therefore will tear if not treated carefully. There is even a large envelope included in the back where the paper dolls can be safely stored after play.
on December 2, 2009
I was looking for a Nutcracker book that included the Angel role (since my girls are dancing that part) and this book does. In fact, my girls ages 8 and 6 loved it so much, we bought 5 more copies for their friends who are dancing with them in the production. I was impressed with the number of paper dolls, quality of the book, and definitely the price! The story book itself is illustrated with the same paper doll characters, so it is easy for children to locate and place characters onto the 3 scenes of the stage as they read the story. The paper dolls are made of heavy cardstock, but we also laminated ours so they would endure the amount of play they are getting. I recommend this book.
on March 28, 2013
I got this for my daughter for Christmas and she oohed and aahed over each page and each doll. They are easy to pop out, although I would recommend an adult do it, they are paper and do tear easy. The dolls also come with extra stands, just in case, which is wonderful. You can fit all the punched out dolls into the envelope inside the front cover easily and still close the book. The book fanfolds out 360 degrees to a circular stage where the dolls can dance and play the entire Nutcracker Ballet. I would definitely recommend this to paper doll lovers, Nutcracker lovers and little girls (and older girls) everywhere!
on December 2, 2010
We purchased this as a 5th birthday gift for our daughter that loves to user her imagination and to familiarize her with the story before attending the nutcracker ballet for the holidays. We have already read and acted out the story several times since she unwrapped it. The story summarizes the tale of the Nutcracker simply yet fully. The paperdolls and stages are fantastic and will lend to hours of imaginative fun. She is already in love with it and it has the possibility to last several years with the right amount of care. Even our 5-year old son enjoys playing it with us as long as he can act out the mouse/soldier battle. I would highly recommend it to anyone whose child loves stories and would enjoy using their imagination. I was not disappointed at all with this purchase and the price made it even more fantastic!
on August 3, 2016
Over the last few years, my family has drawn names for several people to do entertainment (there are 16 of us at our gatherings). I decided to use this as my entertainment. My family loved it - especially my little nieces, who were particularly delighted when I gave them their very own copy. I'm a big fan of the Nutcracker and this book and the pieces are really beautiful.
on October 12, 2012
This was a gift for my daughter who fell in love with ballet after seeing it for the first time in 2011. The story and illustrations were very nice, but obviously the draw is the paper doll set. There are actually a lot of characters (main and ancillary) in this set; I was very surprised. There is a neat pocket within the book to hold all the paper dolls so they don't get lost. We not only enjoy playing out the scenes, we have a great time making up our own stories. I highly recommend this for anyone who is a fan.
on February 21, 2017
This book is wonderful. My daughter will play with this for hours. We set up the stages for her and he turns and uses her imagination to make the paper dolls dance. Sometimes we play the ballet music for her and she really gets lost in the story. Would make a terrific xmas present for any child.
on January 11, 2014
This year was the first year I've taken my daughter to the Nutcracker ballet. She is five, and I wanted to find a way to introduce the story to her so she could follow along when we went to see it. These cut out paper dolls are adorable and she loved setting them up on stage! In fact, when we were at the ballet, she referenced this play set and said "Mommy, this is stage 2!" My advice though is perhaps consider punching out all the perferated dolls and props before giving this to your young one. There are a LOT of different pieces and takes some time, which some kids may lose interest while you work away :)
on January 11, 2015
The book has a thick binding and arrived broken, split, cracked when they piled other items on top of it. It has far too many pieces and doesn't seem to hold true to the storyline most are familiar with. The art is a bit odd and a lot more could have been done to promote the paper doll theme. Overall it was a good thought but, they missed the mark.