Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on December 12, 2016
I bought two copies and did not notice this until months after purchase. My complaint is with the book's printing. It didn't occur to me that I should do a quality check when it arrived. The pages are misaligned, cutting off words -- see photos. I noticed another person had a section of their book missing! Check your book when you receive it, obviously books don't have a quality check before being sent out.
review imagereview image
22 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 16, 2016
Second up-date: Now hat we've used the hardback version for a very long time, I have to say there are a lot of words in it that just should not be there. The original Scrabble game did not allow foreign words. There are a ton of words describing foreign coins, clothes, etc. just not great. I do like the tech included words, new words to the English use. Older versions were cleaner on foreign words.
Update: Don't get the paperback version. We had pages falling out the first week of use. Hadn't even bent the spine yet and a whole section of pages started coming out. Bad glue job. Go with the Hardback version. It's super.
Scrabble addicts. We love the dictionary. We play open-book which allows us to look up potential words.Have three copies, one for each player. This edition has some questionable additions as they have expanded into new age, tech lingo, and more foreign items. But, overall its a fabulous resource for us regular players. Note to the creators: you left out the word "squaw." What's with that???
on October 1, 2014
We had large print version of the prior edition, and have enjoyed it, but it is a heavy book to pass across the table when your enemy (aka wife) needs to find an obscure word that fits her mix of five vowels, a "Z" and a "K". This new edition has 5,000 more words, and I feared the print might be too small for old people like us, but it is actually quite readable and lightweight in the normal paperback version, and well worth the money. And by the way, if you have never invested in the double-size Scrabble deluxe version with 200 letters, please get a set. It takes up a little more room when playing, and is a little more trouble to put back in concise and quick storage, but it is well worth it. With that set you can be 100 points down with only about ten letters to play and steal a victory.
This is one of two current hard cover Scrabble dictionaries that I own, both current editions after years using a quite old paperback one. Of the two, this is smaller and only fewer words. The bigger includes words up to 15 letters for those who can use the rare opportunities to create a word that covers an entire row or column in multiple turns. I've never seen such a game myself.

Both dictionaries are well printed, have clear definitions and don't look cheaply made. This has fewer definitions for each words, a little less white space, and slightly smaller print understandably to save space; but it's still easy to read. This is the dictionary I'd use for travel or more casual games, the other at home and when up against serious players or spelling Nazis.

By the way, I don't use it just for Scrabble, it's my first choice of go to dictionary all the time; followed bu it's colleague for the bigger words!
on January 24, 2017
Cover and many pages throughout book were improperly cut during printing process. This book should have been discarded by the publisher. Not sure why anyone from the publisher to the distributor/Amazon would think this was an acceptable product.
review image
on August 27, 2017
I am no longer laughed out of the room by my friends for my old, Old, OLD Scrabble dictionary. I believe mine was, ahem, the second edition *blush*. No wonder I wasn't allowed to bring it anymore! Love this updated version, and it's refreshing to be able to actually FIND modern words in it! Thank you, my friends will now have to find another reason to laugh at me!
on February 13, 2017
I am not a competitive Scrabble player so this dictionary has everything I need; however the print is small and difficult for me to read. It is a trade off though...small print, but very concise and compact book to throw in my purse when I go to Scrabble with the ladies. Also my friend has this same book and the binding broke along the spine. The pages are still intact so far and I do not know how much use her book got or how well she took care of it...just thought I would mention it as part of the reason for only 4 stars. I am still happy with this purchase and would buy it again even after mentioning the above,
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 28, 2014
As my username may imply, I take the game seriously. I've been playing in rated tournaments and sanctioned clubs since the 70's and have maintained an "expert" rating throughout. Therefore my opinion, shared by just about every other expert out there, carries more weight than those of the casual enthusiasts reviewing this "dictionary".

Like most of the Scrabble world, I had very high hopes for this long overdue update. Alas, it has turned out to be extremely disappointing. One noted club director called it "a clusterf..." and I have to agree.

The problems and issues with the OSPD5 (as well as the OWL3, the club and tournament version containing words that have been "expurgated" from OSPD) have been well-documented for the past two months in numerous articles, blogs, and even on Colbert's TV show. So I won't bother reiterating them all...just do the research on your own using any online search engine. A good starting point is to read fellow expert Dan Pratt's review in these pages. Keep in mind, his review was written very early on, so it barely scratches the surface!

My advice is to wait for the inevitable second-printing which will hopefully correct many of the errors of commission and omission.. Meanwhile, you can access the MW Online site and get all of these words for free...as well as many additional acceptable words that should have been added to the updated OSPD, but for some reason weren't included.

UPDATE: Due to popular request, I'm adding the links to sites mentioned in my review. The first link leads you to the MW page devoted to the OSPD 5 dictionary. The second link is a review of OSPD 5 that also includes footage from the Colbert TV show segment I referenced above.

33 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2018
Absolutely essential for scrabble players. I have played Scrabble with my children and grandchildren, and this book is always at hand. I bought the latest edition, because new words appear regularly, and ours was falling apart and was several years old. A must-have for Scrabble players of all ages. And it's very educational.
on June 23, 2017
This is a plus. It has every acceptable word, 2-3-4, all word lengths. The print is a wee bit small for me, but the reference is Fantastic!