Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on September 23, 2014
Good; but the book fails to address the political decisions, which led to the crisis, i.e. fulfilling the purported aspirations of every American family to own their own home irrespective of whether or not they had the financial ability or acumen to handle a mortgage. This led mortgages issued to those who could not handle that kind of financial responsibility. But Washington protected the banking industry, both on main street and Wall Street, via Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, where defective mortgages where bundled and ultimately sold to unsuspecting investors. If my friends could see the handwriting on the wall before the advent of the "Great Recession" then so could the Federal Reserve. Cooper fails to address the issue.
on November 4, 2014
Good reading for understanding all that went into the 2010ish financial collapse. Understand why government oversight of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae kept these mortgage funding giants in check, and how private enterprise took over and lessened credit worthiness to the point of financial collapse...
on April 4, 2009
Perhaps I don't agree with everything the author says in the book, but it is written well, easy to understand, and offers a different perspective from what we often hear on TV or read in the newspapers. At a minimum, it makes one think about various issues that affect all of our lives, and for that I give it 5 stars.
on November 29, 2010
Accurate, easy to read. Short, and easy to understand. More useful than the other 4 books I have read on the financial crisis.
on May 28, 2011
The financial crisis of our time has created havoc in our system. However, this book tells you, the reader, that the financial system has flaws and these flaws contributed to the financial crisis. The most stricking point in this book is that the fed worked to promote demand in the financial system. Thus, promoting credit creation and economic profitability. This book is a must read.....
on January 25, 2014
An impressively readable introduction to key financial phenomena and concepts, and a nice refresher for those with more background in the area. The guy is kinda funny too.
on November 30, 2008
I am not an economics major. Cooper explains the core concept of finance , central banking in such a way that even a layman can understand. His arguments are very convincing . A must read for everybody wondering what is going on with our economy
on March 1, 2015
Very good insight into the current economic issues the global economy is facing.
on October 4, 2008
I completely agree with the positive recommendations of The Economist Magazine and the reviewers. George Cooper has combined a strong technical and practical investment background to produce a modern thoughtful study of how to best manage our complex economy. However, I disagree with Brady on its readability, I feel Cooper opens this subject up to any thoughtful investor {regardless their background) by writing in down-to-earth English. He uses everyday examples, like a baker making and selling bread. His clear understanding of the material and deep sympathy for the reader motivate him to use such everyday examples to completely dispense with mathematical equations. He still maintains the needed precision.
I was persuaded that economic crises are inevitable, and enjoyed his ideas on how we might deal with them. I want to encourage every investor and student who is curous about how we can improve our economy to read Cooper's clear, cogent presentation.
on November 19, 2008
This is an emminently readable review of the 'dismal science'.

The prose is clear frank and honest.

If the new administration really wants to try and repair our financial system, they should consult George Cooper.