Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 26, 2017
Quite an eye opener for someone like me who has never been exposed in any manner to the tough life in the inner cities and poor neighborhoods of Baltimore (or any such city for that matter). I must admit that after reading this book I have a lot more admiration for those who are able to stay out of trouble and eventually lead a good life. I also feel sorry for those who remained trapped in the vicious circle because it seems so hard to break free. The book doesn't really explain why the fates of the two Wes Moore's turned out to be so different. It is not that there is one point of divergence, there are probably several reasons. Reading the brief description makes you feel as though there was a defining moment or event where their lives diverged.
on September 26, 2017
The Other Wes Moore is the first book for a school reading project I have read that has moved me so much that even after I was done reading it I didn't want to stop reading. I read past the initial story to the after word and even the entirety of the acknowledgements. I have never done that with a book before, period. This is a book about two boys with the same name of Wes Moore. The story goes through the very similar lives of both of these men from their childhood to adulthood. You see all of the twists and turns in their lives that lead them to their fates, with one being a Rhodes Scholar and decorated Veteran, and the other in prison with a life sentence. You get to read the lifetimes of these men and try and figure out for yourself the big question of the entire book, "What made the difference?"
What made the difference that led to our author being successful and the other Wes Moore serving a life sentence? You read the accounts of both men's lives as they struggle to survive in the Bronx from failing out of school, drug dealing, problems with the law, and young pregnancies. This book brings a complexity to the inner workings of the minds of two boys growing up in environments where everything is against them and they're expected to become delinquents, and then criminals, because it's the norm. You see their rises and falls as they go on paths where they begin to fix their lives but then just wind up falling right back to where they were. You feel the character's struggle as one falls further and further from grace and the other begins to get their life back on track. You know the outcome of the story and yet you keep hoping and praying that things will end differently, that everything will work out for both parties. It makes you forget that you already know the ending to the story.

At the end of the book you're left with many questions and thoughts, but overall the message that your situation doesn't define you, that anyone can change their future no matter how hopeless the present seems. This book leaves you with the thought that anyone can turn their life around, while at the same time wondering why the other Wes Moore could not see the same. It's a powerful story of two boys becoming men in different ways and experiencing identical struggles of identity and trying to fight society's expectations of them while at the same time falling into them at one point or another.

I would recommend this book to many if you want a powerful and thought provoking read that will captivate you and make you think about your path in life a little deeper like it did for me.
on September 24, 2017
The Other Wes Moore, is a riveting and well thought out book that held my attention in entirety. The book explores the struggles of living in a poverty and crime stricken community that influences you in negative ways, especially in teens and young adults. Wes talks about what both his and the other Wes's life was like after not having a father and growing up in society that expects you to become another statistic. The book opens your eyes to the hardships not only boys go through to survive, but the young single mothers who work day and night to provide and care for her children with the absence of their father. It takes you through the path both took, similar in some ways, to get to where they are today which is two different places. The novel brings out emotions that makes you feel like it is you who is going through the adversities that are faced. The Other Wes Moore is a book I would highly recommend to anyone and everyone.
on October 3, 2017
I really liked The Other Wes Moore. It was a really good book about the lives of the two Wes Moores. The author’s purpose was to show the similarities and differences of himself and the other Wes Moore. I really like how the stories go back and forth between both Wes Moores. I also love how the book is based on a true story. I do not really like reading; however, this book was very enjoyable. The book goes from story to story. I believe Wes Moore did a very good job of telling the stories. Both of the Wes Moores grew up just blocks from each other. Author Wes Moore talks about how neither of them had a dad in their lives. The book also showed the many struggles of both of the Wes Moores. I feel like the biggest difference between the two Wes Moores is the fact that one was a high school dropout and the author Wes Moore was sent to military school, which really changed him as a man. I believe military school kept him out of trouble. Overall, I really enjoyed the book.
on October 4, 2017
The Other Wes Moore is now my new favorite book. I have never been the biggest fan of reading and I always dread doing it, but this book was different. Even in the first couple pages, I knew I was going to like it. I loved how it gave the story and perspective from each Wes Moore. This book reminded me that anything is possible and you are able to achieve anything if you don’t give up. It was very interesting to read this book because both Wes Moores’ lifestyles are completely different than mine. The fact that this is a true story makes me realize how lucky I am to have two parents, go to a nice school, and live in a safe part of town where I don’t have to worry about getting mugged walking in my neighborhood. It was very easy to read and follow along. It had so many details that I felt like I was there. I would definitely give this book a 5-star rating and I would recommend it to anyone, especially people who don't like reading.
on September 23, 2017
I read this book for book club and did not review it on my blog. It was so interesting to read a book that takes place near my house. I loved reading about these two men and how at a few moments of their life their lives could have switched places and there were many different reasons that sent them down the path that they ended up on.
on December 24, 2016
I read this book for several reasons. One that I have a friend who has expressed at one time he wished he could be two versions of himself at a defining moment in his life because he had a hard decision to make and wanted to be able to follow the course of each decision to its outcome to be able to live both those very different lives. Secondly I know people I love who have had hard times in their lives and just like both Wes' wanted I felt it important to show these people that only we can and should be the those who decide what hard decisions define us. I appreciate all who were involved in bringing their experiences into my life through this book! I can say even I came away a changed person.
on November 13, 2017
Very illuminating look at how decisions, luck, and circumstances can lead people from similar starting points to very different paths. Heartbreaking at times, encouraging at others, and always insightful. You'll cheer and you'll cry. I enthusiastically recommend!
on September 26, 2015
I didn't think this book was well written especially towards the end. Author was not clear in comparing why the characters took such different paths which I thought was to be the focus.
on May 19, 2017
Do any of us really try to put ourselves in someone else's place? Can we do that without knowing their story? I enjoyed the chance of following both Wes' lives. Maybe I will start giving more people a chance to show me who they are trying to become.