Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 591 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 776 reviews
on October 24, 2015
I look forward to the second volume of The Outlandish Companion, to be released within a matter of days, covering the second four of eight books published to date from The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. This Companion book is not a novel, but a tome put together to answer a myriad of questions posed by fans and others, about the author, the books, the series' characters, and even some of the history behind the stories. In some ways, this is how I'd have expected a "All you ever wanted to know about Diana Gabaldon and her craft but were afraid or unable to ask...." book to be. It is so much more, because you are drawn into an understanding of how this author crafts her books. You also appreciate that she does what scarcely any other historical novelist has done, that I'm aware, and that is, her companion book contains an entire chapter devoted to all of the errors from the first four books that, to date, either Gabaldon has determined herself or has been made aware of by her readers. All sorts of interesting information and stories related to the content of the first four novels comprising The Outlander Series is found in the Companion, not to mention bibliography, pronunciations, and a listing of other authors and books to turn to during the wait for the next volume (nine). If you have read all eight books as I did between May and September of this year, and are "addicted" then this "methadone list" is a blessing. Most appreciated in this newly revised version are some stunning photographs from the 2014-15 Outlander TV series, season one, produced for STARZ. After having perused this book, I feel as though I have met and enjoyed lively in-person discussions with Diana, and I'm hoping to be equally happy with the second Outlandish Companion, especially because, in my estimation, Gabaldon's novels have become better and better with each subsequent publication. My expections are that the second Companion will be more "outlandish" (ha!) than the first!
on June 22, 2015
I wish the gaelic words were in alphabetical order and there were more words translated. Also, the summaries could have tied up loose ends and been a little more descriptive. The part I found interesting which surprised me were the letters written to the author and the author explaining all that goes into a book tour. I don't know how they do book tours with everything that needs to be done. So that part was very enlightening and the author describing how readers want her to write "Dear So and So, etc. and by that time we should feel grateful just to say hello and get her to sign with book. Also, she describes herself with honesty which was nice to see - I would never want to cross her. But overall the companion book is very interesting. I am looking forward to the next companion book for the last four books. And she's writing the ninth book in the series so I imagine there will be another companion book.
on December 29, 2016
Having read the complete Outlander series of books, I have been looking forward to this book! It makes a great resource for information on all things Outlander (understand the book summaries only cover the first 4 books, the other 4 books are in Volume Two). But, there is so much more included in this book beyond the summaries. I love the glossary for the terms used in the books! At some point, I hope not to have to look up the words because I will have learned their meaning. This book is not necessarily made to be read front to back, but to be able to pop into a section as your interests in a certain subject show up. I am enjoying it thoroughly, even though I have not made much of a dent in the book. Thank you Diana Gabaldon for expanding on the Outlander World!
on July 31, 2011
I bought a Kindle for one reason --> to read the very long & heavy Outlander books. After lugging around the first 2, I made the switch to Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed bringing Jamie & Claire along on errands to read a few pages whenever I had a few minutes. Standing in line became almost enjoyable!
I didn't hesitate to add The Outlandish Companion to my Kindle library, but that was a Big Mistake. The Kindle version does not have chapter breaks, which means it must be read straight through. I had to tediously scroll through page by page to skip past portions that didn't interest me. I wound up returning the Kindle version, bought the hard copy, and am thoroughly enjoying jumping back and forth through it.
on May 9, 2017
This is a must for any fan of the books and the television show. The book gives a who's who list of the characters for the first four books. This is extremely helpful as each book is MASSIVE and has a ton of characters which often are only in that one novel. This way you won't be thinking "Who is this again?" Also, there is a summary of each book so even if you re-read them often; you can refresh your memory about the basic story line. Trust me, you need this companion to keep up with the story as the show is often different then the book. A great buy and a great gift for fans of the show/books.
on April 10, 2015
Love the Maps, family history, documentation, definition of Gaelic & French & Spanish words
on September 25, 2015
This book is a must have addition to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It not only has the synopses to her first 3 or 4 novels, there's an alphabetical listing of all the characters (who have appeared thus far), plus some odds and ends like her travel experiences w/ airports, public restrooms and her public relations tours, her responses to reader's questions (it never ceases to amaze me what people ask or request), her writing process and some personal tidbits about her family and pets. I would've given this 5 stars but the formatting was a bit off the: the photos for Kindle. Still, I would rather have Herself on my Kindle. Her books are BIG.
on May 17, 2015
Gabaldon is a prolific and entertaining writer. She brings her stories alive with her storytelling skills and command of words. This "companion" is a nice backdrop and reference to all her readers who need a refresher on the first four of her long novels. A big plus is all the reference materials she includes on gaelic pronunciation, maps, etc. I have all her Outlander books on my reader but enjoy being able to pick up this volume and thumb through it. I am looking forward to the next volume covering the last books.
on April 15, 2015
Amazing updated version (covers the first 4 books in the series). I loved the first version but this one is even better. Extensive updates by Diana Gabaldon herself! I sold the first edition to get this one! Looking forward to the 2nd part coming out in October for the last 4 books that have been published.
on January 25, 2015
This companion covers the first three books: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager. This is a large, hard bound book of 577 pages. Because there is so much going on in the Outlander series, readers can benefit from the information provided in these chapters: " synopses, characters, family trees, comprehensive glossary and pronunciation guide, outlandish web sites and online venues, research, where titles come from and other matters of general interest, the view from Lallybroch, frequently asked questions, controversy, excerpts of future books, annotated bibliography, and appendixes." I find the Outlander Companion to be indispensable as a reference supplement as well as a source of fascinating information. The extensive illustrations throughout are amazing. Recommended highly for all Outlander fans.