Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,156 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,097 reviews
on November 16, 2015
I first read this book when I was either 12 or 14 years old and I have reread this book probably seven or eight times over the last 40 years. I decided to get the e-book so that I would not have to buy the book anymore. I think I’ve always identified with Johnny but I can’t explain why. Ponyboy was another great character that I identified with because he had a choice between being a lower-class/low to middle class blue-collar type of individual or that he could use his mind to improve his future and probably leave the background he grew up in and become something more. There are youth gangs in the book and some violence, if one looks back into the past one will understand that you gangs existed. The major difference between the youth gangs of the 50s to about the 70s is that young males mostly use their fists and not guns to settle quarrels. Loved the book and I will probably read it once or twice every year for the rest of my life because I too had a choice and have done fairly well.
on March 9, 2017
I think I'm the only person over 18 who'd never read this book. The situation of the story is one that's still true, today. Gangs and their fighting and rumbles are still happening everywhere for the high school age people. This book tries to give an understanding of both sides and why they are the way they are, individually and as a group. If you haven't read this book before and you're over 13, I suggest you read this to have a better idea what's going on.
on February 14, 2014
I had some serious concerns about teaching this novel to my students. Mainly, I was worried my students would not be able to identify with the characters in the novel. This could not be further from the truth! I have been able to incorporate some great informational texts regarding Greasers and the evolution of gangs, social class inequalities, the 1960s...there is so much that can be done in terms of instruction with this novel! It is an absolute classic - a compelling story with strong use of language and engaging to teens and adults alike.

My students are 8th graders at an urban middle school, predominately black and Hispanic and they are obsessed! Even my most reluctant readers are enjoying this novel. They're all excited about seeing the movie too!
on October 31, 2016
For Ponyboy and his gang the only things that exist in the world is greasers,socials,and blondes. When Ponyboy comes home late one night something shocking happens which sends Ponyboy on a train to Windrixville with his best friend Johnny. When they return they find themselves considered criminals and heroes at the same time. When things finally settle down Ponyboy's gang is now only five instead of seven. This now causes Ponyboy's social life and general grades in school to drop.One central conflict in the boom is the clash between greasers and socials. One central theme in the story is Ponyboy's gang constantly getting beat up from the rich kids which are the Socials. I thought this book was very good because it really describes the life of being a greaser and having pride in it. I have already recommended this book to friends which have not read the whole thing because they are not much of readers. I give this book five stars because I thought this book was very interesting because it really describes how life was as a greaser and even tough they were poor they didn't care and they even had pride in it.
on February 15, 2016
I read this book and bought it a long long time ago. However my daughter's school is reading it and said that the older version may not go exactly with the same formatting as the newer books. -- She said that the teacher may reference specific pages and it may be different with the older one. Thus the reason for buying a newer copy.

Overall I do like the story line, as I typically like to read the story to get a better understanding of the characters before watching the movie. I do plan to update this once my daughter reads it and provides her opinion of the book.
on November 27, 2014
The Outsiders changed my life forever. After reading this book, I never again looked at some things the same way. It is, to this day, still the greatest book I have ever read. I normally don't read nonfiction or realistic fiction, only fantasy or sci fy, but this book caught my eye. I enjoy how it was written by a teenager, because there is no better person to illustrate the lives of teens in a story. I don't like to write, but Hinton's book has inspired me to write more. The characters are so well developed that I felt like I could really live with them in the story. The plot and setting were so realistic and made me feel that the situations included in this novel were real.

As Ponyboy and the gang face hardship and danger, they got to know each other like brothers. The close knit gang gets even closer throughout the story.

I would recommend this book to teenagers everywhere, and when I read The Outsiders, I was thirteen years old. I have read it over and over again throughout the years, and each time I have read it, I got a different view of the characters and began to see through their eyes.
on April 17, 2013
"The Outsider" is a growing up tale by the wunderkind S.E. Hinton (she wrote the novel when she was still in high school). In a small town two gangs are divided along class lines. The greasers come from abusive and broken families, and they fight against a society that hates them as a way to identify themselves. The Socs come from success-driven and wealthy families, and they like to beat up greasers for kicks. But a common adolescent angst and need for belonging unite both groups in a common frail humanity, and it's the frailness and vulnerability of all the characters that make this book such a compelling read.

The narrator is fourteen-year-old Ponyboy, a greaser who's precariously straddling two worlds. Ponyboy's smart and articulate and loves to read, and though his parents are gone he's protected by two older brothers who will fight to the death to ensure a better life for their youngest sibling. If he keeps his head low then eventually he'll make it into the world of the Socs, which is where his eldest brother belongs (but isn't because he's so busy taking care of Ponyboy). But Ponyboy's loyal and emotional, and his best friends are the underachieving greasers, and it's Ponyboy's struggle to achieve an individual identity that is the central underlying tension in this book.

What makes this book ultimately work is Ponyboy's smooth elegant diction, which betrays a sensitivity and vulnerability, but also thoughtfulness and ambition. In her first book, SE Hinton displays the same powerful empathy and wisdom that Carson McCullers displayed in "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter."
on May 19, 2017
Unlike most, I wasn't required to read this in school as a kid. I only read it now based on some recommendations. I wasn't sure what to expect, but found myself pleasantly surprised. It's a story with a lot of heart and well-developed characters. The story took a while to really hook me, but by the end I felt like I had a real connection to some of the characters. I don't tend to read many fiction books of this type (more of a sci-fi or political thriller kind of guy), hence the 4 stars, but this is a story that I think most people should read at some point.
on March 2, 2013
When my daughter was in 6th grade at an academic magnet school, THE OUTSIDERS was on her reading list. I was busy with little ones and paid little attention. When my youngest was assigned the book this year we pulled it off our bookshelf for him. I told him I'd read it with him. After the first chapter I told him I was getting this book for ME! I put it on my Kindle, and we have read it together. We've had so many good discussions which included another one of our teens who had read it in middle school. The book has the ability to bring out thoughts and feelings that need to be discussed with young teens. No matter that the book is set in the 60's, it's theme, its social issues are today. I can't even say how many healthy discussions have taken place around our dinner table about THE OUTSIDERS. By a fluke we happened to attend a Paideia seminar on the poem, "One Today" which was read at this year's presidential inauguration. We all couldn't wait to see if the others caught the parallel in the themes. I just bought our high school daughter a Kindle, and what did she want to do first? Re-read THE OUTSIDERS! My advice: Buy it for you; then let your teens read it! (-:
on April 3, 2016
One of the kids (13) wanted this book after the teacher read it to them in class. I had not read it in a long time. It was of another time - kids unsupervised, bullies, beer drinking and fistfights. It does get quite dramatic. I did not ask my nephew what part of the book "caught him" but this is the first book he ever wanted to read so I got it for him.