Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 966 reviews
on May 27, 2014
I gave it three stars purely on strength of the importance of the ideas; I would've rated the story line two stars at best. The writing was okay at times, in my opinion, but like the story itself is not up to the task of realizing the ideas presented.

The value of the novel lies entirely in the research it was based on. which in my observation is almost spot-on. The book fictionalizes very well the process of shifting the debate from "We have individual rights" to "What kinds of rights might the Powers That Be permit us?" The speeches of the villain are almost worth the price of the novel in themselves. They were so well-written that I almost felt myself falling under the spell of: "The masses are far too stupid and ignorant to be entrusted with the task of running their own lives!" As a demonstration of this point, please note the chorus of "But liberty is a wingnut idea!" that usually greets claims that we're well on the way to becoming an Orwellian police state here and in America. "Why should we care if we're monitored and controlled 24/7 if we're not doing anything wrong!"

People who say these things are living proof of the book's thesis. And therein lies the value of the book. People may hate its amateurish style and sloppy plot line, but the facts and ideas presented may stick to some degree in readers' heads. Or so I hope.
on August 15, 2013
And it bothered me a little. Perhaps it is something that could be events of the future and seems to be the P.S. to 1984. Some of the information in the book seemed to be a composite of internet information that I have seen or heard. I have no problems with the author as a very creative writer but with the paranoia that would suit a conspiracy theorist to a T. I did not like the feelings while reading but perhaps there may be activities in our world possibly in the future which will match what has been written in this book and it was disturbing to me.
I have known that there are things which come to a logical conclusion if a certain route is taken and maybe our country coming to this point is a logical conclusion when values are replaced with unjust social justice for the sake of political correctness. I remember reading a quote from de Touqueville who said, " When American ceases to be good, it will cease to be great." This book did not portray American as good.
It is written well and does hold your attention. I have the sequel just to find out how it ends.
on May 12, 2014
Hmmm - a good read, but it scared the pants off me.

Well, that sounds simplistic, but after a lot of thought, it's true. I happened to watch Beck on Fox when he was talking about the concept of the overton window & how it works (an actual technique of changing group attitudes). Scared me then & it scares me now.

So, the story is just the vehicle Beck uses to show his perspective of what's happening in today's world. There are 40 pages of documentation of source material - honestly overwhelming. He says repeatedly 'do your own research', but I'm not sure how many casual readers will do just that. Maybe they feel as I do - what would I do if I found even half of this stuff true? Well, it's more than I can handle & just reading the list of sources is difficult.

I think we, the people of the United States, are probably heading down the same path traveled numerous times before us by other great nations (Romans, Greeks). And unless we make huge changes - that many won't do - we'll probably continue down the path to ruin. Wouldn't have thought these things 20 years ago, but now it seems almost a given.
on July 26, 2010
Mr. Beck is a deep thinker in American politics and is an excellent entertainer and commentator...his fiction writing, on the other hand, needs some work!

The Overton Window is a quick and fun read but while a lot of thought was put into how to weave the various threads of government conspiracy theory into a fun story, the basic plot elements of the narrative were left horribly neglected. For instance, if your going to write a story from the omniscient point of view, then the audience ought to be treated to the back story of the characters in the plot. The character development was scant; we barely know or learn anything about the protagonist, Noah Gardner, let alone any of his supporting cast. Without some deeply thought out backgrounds, it's next to impossible to believe the characters would act the way they do and do the things they do simply from the animus of the stories environment. I'm all for the "love, liberty & search for the truth" motivations, but, in the real world, it takes a lot more than that to get people involved. If I am to believe Noah will do the things he does in this story, then the author needs to show us his "Road to Damascus" experience, those "turning points" that the author tells us about...

Another painful aspect of the story is the ending. I will not spoil it, but Mr. Beck must have just put down his well-worn and dog-eared copies of Tom Clancey's "Sum of All Fears" and Orwell's "1984" just prior to writing it. Some minor differences to fit the characters and circumstances, but not very original...

Thanks Mr. Beck, it was a fun read but perhaps your publisher and editors were a little too eager to birth this story just in time for the November elections than to actually help you to refine your fiction writing. Give it another try and I'll be glad to read the next installment...
on July 29, 2010
I must admit, it was hard for me to actually see myself rating a Glenn Beck book lower than a four star, but I did on this one. The reason I did was (similar to some other three star reviewers) that the story started to captivate me while peaking my interest, but proved to be in vain as far as the thriller part of the story. I admit I mostly read non-fiction books, but have read view thrillers as well. The characters were interesting but not complete. I am a reader who really enjoys putting me in the place of the character until I can literally see and hear them in my head. I could accomplish but could not really get an in-depth look. The book could have been a hundred pages longer in my opinion. Now for the good stuff! I enjoyed the short chapters and easy reading of the print. The book also helped me to see more clearly the insider look into the actual people who might be planning this sort of plot. The fact is that I did not have any proper knowledge of the Overton Window before reading about it in the story. This is a concept that plugs a lot of gaps in my own personal education on various schemes and maneuvers being carried out on the American public every day. I think that this book had good information and explanations of the facts throughout the story. Without the afterword I would have spent a lot of time wondering what exactly was fact and fiction so I could add the knowledge to my memory bank. Overall, I hate the three stars but I had to give a fair rating for the thriller faction book for what it was meant to be to a reader. I really wished the publishing would have been slowed and more emphasis placed on development of the story and characters.
on January 26, 2011
I just finished reading the book and there is no end. It was a valiant attempt to write a factual based novel and I enjoyed the story, but was not "thrilled". It did not keep me awake reading into the wee hours of the night because there were long lectures in great detail that were boring. In contrast, there was little detail of the book's characters. I liked the characters, but wanted to know them better. I wanted more informational background about them. The main character Molly and her mother had very strong convictions but where did these values come from and how did they develop? How did this organization they belonged to evolve? This book left me with more questions about what was happening than answers. I've read other of Glenn Beck's non-fiction books and really liked them. His radio and TV show's are very popular and successful so I would recommend he keep his day job.
on May 14, 2013
I found this book to be a disappointment. I already believe Beck's philosphies, and appreciate his fervor. I thought this would be a novel, but while it purports to be, it really is a lecture strung together with a little plot. It felt more like listening to his TV shows and political lectures than a novel. I believe Beck to be an extremely talented man, but he doth preach too much in this book!

It is reminiscent of Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" - the unabridged version. I finally stapled the philosophical chapters together, so that I can could Hugo's novel without the interruptions of his preaching. At least he kept those separate from the other chapters, which is what Beck might have done, and kept the story going within exclusively novel chapters?

I still love Beck!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2010
Honestly, if you combined George Orwell's "1984", Ayn Rand's "Anthem", and Stanley Kubrik's "A Clockwork Orange", you would get "The Overton Window". Glenn Beck's portrayal of a government-corporate partnership looking to overthrow our current system is not an original idea. Many of us have either read about this, or it has become a constant theme in recent movies.

Though there are some interesting points made by Beck, the novel fails to fully amount to a thriller. Throughout most of the book, I was unable to feel like I was in complete suspense of what would happen next. Much of this had to do with Beck's lack of character development, and any attempt he made was done in a hapharzardly way. Dedicating 3 paragraphs to a character's background / development does not get the job done.

I am neutral towards Glenn Beck, so this is only a review of the novel, not his philosophies or possible undertones. I was very disappointed that the book ended up pittering out at the end. If you are still interested in reading it though, I suggest borrowing it from the library and saving yourself $15.
on May 1, 2017
Recommended by a friend. It was good to understand the concept. Fair writing.
on July 26, 2013
I purchased this book for something to listen to besides the radio as I drive to different job sites in the area. As a listener of the Glenn Beck radio show, this book sounds just like Glenn Beck is telling all of his conspiracy theories in a fictional format. There are endless mentions of the different books Beck has read and the people that are his heroes/enemies. Overall it is a good book. I was going to buy the second one, "The Eye of Molock", but I think I will pass.