Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 183 reviews
on March 2, 2011
I read many of the reviews before purchasing this book and found most want to relate it to the movie. As the author plainly states, this book is the work of research not used by the movie. This book should in no way be connected to the movie and stand on it's own merit. Also, I do believe the author also stated he was not a writer and this is his first book which he wrote in honor of his deceased Father.
The book is very informative and I did not realize until reading this that I have never read much about Iwo Jima or Okanowa battles. Anyone who is interested in history or WWII should read this book as it should be a must read. Most WWII books you read only go the late 1943 and jump over the Pacific Theater until mid 1945, glossing over the horrors. After reading this, I am now is search of more books. Highly enjoyed reading and savoring the information provided. I agree at times, the reading seemed to jump around (as many other do) and at times you may have to review something that was previously wrote to keep the story line in mind. Even with any flaws the reader may find, this book should go on your reading list.
One of the best informative books I have read in a long time. Full of new perspective and many new views not previously written.
To Hugh Ambrose, I say thank you.
on July 2, 2014
This is the true story of what it was like to fight the japanese in the pacific. It was a brutal struggle, and although just three marines are highlited, the story is much bigger than these three individuals. When you look at the combatants in the war, the japanese soldier was the only combatant who willingly died for his country. This turned out, in my view, to be a very wasteful policy. This book captures the grim reality of war, there is no nobility in it, its just a live or die situation.These men did not ask to go to war, but they nonetheless went out and did their jobs. This book is well worth its price, because it does not pull any punches, it gives the reader the experience just as it happened. JRV
on April 20, 2015
Excellent book, but I can't give more than four stars to anyone who violates the first rule of the writers craft. You always capitalize Marine. When in doubt, YOU ALWAYS CAPITALIZE MARINE. Having watched the HBO MINISERIES I thought I might find the book uninteresting. I was wrong. I just wish they would go back and fill in the blanks with another miniseries and tell the story of Lt. Colonel Austin Shofner and Lt. Commander Mike Micheel of the Naval Aviation side of the war. I found myself totally immersed in this 508 page book. I read morning, noon, and night and enjoyed every minute of it. I feel like I served with Gene Sledge, Sid Phillips, Bob "Lucky" Leckie, and "Manilla John" Basilone.
I was a Mortarman, a rifleman, and a Rifle Company "Gunny". Hugh Ambrose has his father's gift of writing and attention to detail that quite frankly I find amazing for someone who didn't spend years in the military. Excellent, Excellent book. Capitalize Marine's next time mr. ambrose.
( Annoying isn't it ? ). SEMPER FI'
on May 14, 2013
I think any one who is interested in WW II would appreciate this book. In addition to the brutal combat itself, it delves into the unending difficulties with the heat and mud and insects these courageous kids went through for months on end. To me they were ALL heroes--I don't know how the fatigue factor alone didn't keep them from functioning as a fighting force.

The book also eliminates (IMHO) any doubt about whether the use of the atomic bomb by Truman was justified--it saved hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides.
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2011
This is an excellent history of WWII in the Pacific as seen from the eyes of several active participants. The author crafts his words carefully and reading the book is fascinating. I've read a lot of work about the war in the pacific, and this one ranks up there with Neptunes Inferno and Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Highly recommended for a weekend of solid pleasure.Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at GuadalcanalThe Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour.
on January 4, 2015
Full of good and very personal information but a bit strung out and cumbersome. Need to do a second book that clarifies the overall strategies of campaigns in the Pacific and how the leadership fit in. This was more about the individuals on the ground
on July 10, 2013
I was very excited to receive this book. My Dad and Uncle's fought in the pacific, the fighting was so horrific.
This book gives us a look into what our families went through. My Grandfather fought in the European Theater.
The hardest part of fighting a war on 2 continents nobody gave any mentions of what was going on in each conitnent.
My Dad always said he never knew how bad it was over there.So it bothered him a lot.
on October 28, 2010
Wow! What a book! Hugh Ambrose did his father Stephen proud, and is carrying on the family tradition of telling history authentically! This book is a must-read for anyone interested in the whole picture of World War II - not just the European Theatre. I was so impressed by the book, that I made a trip to the Strategic Air Command Museum at Ashland, Nebraska, when they celebrated with an event that included many former Marines who actually fought in the Pacific. It was a wonderful event! Mr. Hugh Ambrose attended and was gracious enough to autograph my book!
on October 19, 2016
Excellent book! Gives good first person accounts. Read this along with "Helmet for my Pillow" and "With the Old Breed."
on November 29, 2012
Not a very good read at all. I couldn't even finish it. It felt like I was just reading transcripts of the war reports. Also just diving into the lives of so many different people and then jumping around from story to story made it difficult to follow. Being a book vs a movie, I think more time could be spent developing the background of the main characters to help get to know them thus making it easier to follow the stories.