Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 17, 2013
Okay so I was pretty into Korn when they were huge. I was in high school when I went to see them tour for "Follow the Leader". I followed them from the beginning, and enjoyed them up until 2003's "Take a Look in the Mirror". I've dipped in a little bit here and there since then, but nothing really impressed me. First Brian "Head" Welch left the band, and then David Silveria... and I kinda don't like when the original band splits, so I kinda lost interest...

Recently I've been listening to a lot of "classic" Korn, I didn't even realize that Korn had a new album coming out the very next day, after I randomly found myself web browsing Korn online. I read about the return of Brian Welch, and I gave the new album a chance the next day, now that I had skipped the previous 5 albums...

The end verdict is a good one. Although I'd imagine I'd enjoy this album better if David had returned, just for my own stuborness of new members.

... To be honest, I've been all over the place this year with new albums. And likewise it's been a great year. The new Yeah Yeah Yeah's album was amazing. The new Filter album was amazing. The new Nine Inch Nails album was amazing. And now Korn has returned from the grave for me. The first album I've really enjoyed since 2002's "Untouchables."

I hate to say it, but this new Korn album has left a more positive effect on me than the new Nine Inch Nails, and from the beginning, I've always been a bigger NIN fan than Korn.

Every time I listen to this album, I love it more and more. Favorite songs so far being "What we Do", "Spike in my Veins", "Never Never", and "Lullaby for a Sadist."

Maybe not my favorite Korn album, due to nostalgia reasons, but this is pretty close.

Awesome.... Highly recommended.

Sidenote: It really does bug me when bands change members sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. Nine Inch Nails I don't worry about, cause that has always basically just been "Trent Reznor" with constant new members filling his vision. But bands like Alice in Chains... The newer singer is pretty good! But I feel the band would have been more successful if they simply retired the "Alice in Chains" name, and started from scratch with this new vocalist since "Layne's" death.

Another one... Guns N Roses... Axl Rose is amazing, he's always been a legend, but the dude is old now... He's very talented, but he should have let go of the "Guns N Roses" name instead of acting as immature as a teenager. Wake up! Let go of stuff! Start over! I think if Axl had devised a whole new band, the so called "new" Guns N Roses would be significantly more successful. He should have gone ahead and reunited with ex band mates for the Rock and Roll hall of fame too... when ARE you going to grow up... I have a lot of opinions on the matter of Guns N Roses.
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 8, 2013
Musically its Untouchables melded with Take a Look In the Mirror. Lyrically its a bit of Follow the Leader and Issues. If you're worried about the wubwub (dubstep), don't. There is a few slight electronic sounds, nothing close to Path of Totality (which I actually enjoyed), but it melds with the guitars very well and is barely noticeable unless you are trying to hear it. I only noticed it a few times in the outro and intro of a couple songs.

The album is mostly deep and low, signature KoЯn style, but heavy and upbeat at other times. If you didn't like their first single Never Never (I do), don't base the album on that one song, its the only one on the entire album that has a 'pop-like' beat. The rest is dark and very melodic, I missed this sound, one of my best purchases of the year, no regrets. Do yourself a favor and either listen to this on a nice speaker system or a nice pair of headphones instead of earbuds, at least for the first listen through. Hearing Head and Munky playing back forth in the left and right speakers is so good to hear again!

I highly recommend it, even if you've never listened to KoЯn this is a perfect place to start and work backwards through their work.
3 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on October 11, 2013
I've been a fan of Korn since back in '98, back in the 'Follow the Leader' days. I've dug what they were trying to do with the `Headless' years, but it seems like they were struggling with production problems with the 'Untitled/Korn II' album (even if it was a solid album) and the heavily flawed 'Korn III: Remember Who You Are'. I can only attest the attempt to recreate their raw mid 90's work to studio pressure and/or temporary insanity. I loved the spine it took for the band to put out The Path to Totality, even if it was clear that it was a one-time experiment.

Then of course the big event occurred, Brian `Head' Welch came back to the band. I saw the reunited Korn play back in Silver Spring in May, and the set was mostly from the self-titled debut album. It put a mild sense of unease in me that they would try to revive the 90's with The Paradigm Shift. I was worried we would end up with Korn IV: Now We Totally Remember Who We Are. Seriously This Time.

The release of `Never Never' as the first single may have confused people, considering it is the oddball of the album. I think it was a declaration that 'The Paradigm Shift' was going to be different, and not what you expect.

Which is true, I didn't expect the best, most confident Korn album in years. 'The Paradigm Shift' is an apt title as it sees Korn taking their signature metal/rock sound from the hip-hop sound of old to infusing it with new electronic/synth/stadium rock sound. Songs such as `Never Never,' `Lullaby for a Sadist,' `Victimized,' and many of the choruses see them just nailing an epic stadium rock sound that is completely new and oh so amazing! It never over powers the guitar work. It's impossible, Head and Munky's guitars sound so heavy it feels like getting curb-stomped by Godzilla. This is the perfect blend of old elements and new elements to create pure eargasmic pleasure.

Funky 'Follow the Leader' riffs? It's in there.

Haunting 'Issues' elements? Check.

Melodic 'Untouchables' choruses? Yup.

Crushing 'Take a Look in the Mirror' heaviness? Oh gawd yes.

Electronic/synth elements from 'See You on the Other Side' and 'Untitled/Korn II'? Better than it's ever been.

Fan of 'The Path to Totality'? Looking for some `wub wub?' There is some `wub wub!'

The only Korn `fans' that won't like this album are those who will whine that this isn't as raw as 'Korn' or 'Life is Peachy'. But I've learned to tune them out since '98.

There isn't a single song on this album I don't like. Even the whipping boy `Never Never' becomes great in context with the other songs. I guess if I had to pick favorites it would be `What We Do,' `Paranoid and Aroused,' and everything from `Punishment Time' through `It's All Wrong.'

'The Paradigm Shift' should be put up with Rob Zombie's 'Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor' and Stone Sour's 'House of Gold and Bones' as the best rock albums of the year. If you're a Korn fan, buy this album now, if you're a casual Korn fan, buy this album. Join the Korn of the future!
on February 14, 2016
Korn..... I still listen because in my youth you were my absolute favorite band (I was 14 when 'KORN' was released). I still do not acknowledge their last LP, but when I heard Head was coming back I figured I'd give it a go. While they will never relive their glory days, they still can write some songs that you want to bang your head to. I try to put into consideration that the band has aged, they don't have that late teen angst that they did in the 90's... but this record is a good listen and most Korn fans will be happy that they removed themselves from what the previous LP was.
on October 30, 2014
Heavy, but has a sort of new age upbeat to it, especially with most choruses. But when done right, like in "Mass Hysteria" or "Paranoid and Aroused" they're really catchy and awesome. Killer guitar work. I personally loved The Path of Totality, but that's because I already loved the music/artists they worked with on that album. They took few, but some of the best elements from that album and mixed it into The Paradigm Shift. This is a heavy rock/metal album, with just a few electronic and melodic elements mixed in. Tons of crunching guitars and punchy bass & drums. Vocals and lyrics are the best they've been in years. Love the occasional growls. They seemed to keep a good amount of the dark elements they've always had, especially with Head back, but added a bunch of melodic stuff. Which I guess I'm just still getting used to. With the return of Head, you can tell they went back to their core roots of writing, it's just a little different, but hard influences from the past with new stuff mixed in. Check it out on youtube for yourself. Either way, for what it's worth, it's definitely the best album they've put out since TALITM, almost just as bold and cutting edge as Untouchables. It's a 4/5 (maybe even 4.5/5) for me. Worth owning, especially if you're a Korn fan. Plus that DVD has tons of studio and interview footage. Worth the watch. It helps you see where they were coming from, were thinking and trying to do when they wrote and recorded the album. Keep an open mind. Take it for what it is. A band is the band at it's present. Beings and music should not be held back and boxed in by the past or any preconceptions. Life and music is far to creative for that. Support art any way you can!
on June 29, 2014
You get a lot of people who say Korn's best was Follow the Leader, Issues or Untouchables. Until Paradigm Shift, I was in the camp with those who thought Untouchables was their finest moment. It's the most powerful and artful delivery by the band and I think Jonathon's vocals and lyrics couldn't be surpassed. Musically speaking Paradigm Shift is Untouchables 2 but is not undone by the former. There are some moments on Paradigm Shift where I had to do a double take because I was surprised at the turn a song took ("Punishment Time", the bridge and chorus are so not Korn's, maybe nod a little at STP, but fit perfectly) or that a song came as a complete surprise ("Lullaby for a Sadist", this song is actually very sad but the music and lyrics are actually beautiful). Any "traditionalist" will find "Paranoid and Arroused" (one of my favorite Korn songs ever), "Prey for Me" and the even more powerful "Love & Meth" satiates their desire for a return to the "Untouchables" form. One addition to the deluxe edition should never have been off the original, and that is "Wish I Wasn't Born Today" which I can't get enough of. In conclusion, for people wondering what the new Korn is like, and thought Untouchables was Korn's finest, you will find a lot to love here. For those looking for a little more of that Hip-Hop vibe from Issues backwards, not so much. For me that's fine, I really love what they did here. It is really an evolution of sorts in song-writing, and Head did say song quality is at it's best here. I cannot disagree. Ray Luzier is a great addition to the band. Note: "Never Never"? is not really that bad, but they could have led people to this album with a stronger track.
on October 10, 2013
As a newer fan of Korn since "Remember Who You Are" to now, I have to say that "The Paradigm Shift" is a truly great cd regardless of genre! The songs gel very good together to form a wonderful cd that grabs your attention and doesn't let go. It's well balanced in the sense that it's heavy and intense but also lets up enough to let you recover until the next attack. Sometimes a "heavy" cd loses it's impact of heaviness if it constantly bombards you with pounding guitars and drums until your senses turn numb. (KoRn's 2010 release Remember Who You Are suffered a bit from the constant bombardment)
It seems now KoRn thankfully is mature enough to know the appropriate time to pound you over the head and when to lightly slap you across the cheek.

If you love metal you should get this cd.
If you love rock you should get this cd.
If you loove pop music you should get this cd as it still has the catchy choruses but in a much more "awesome" soundscape compared to say, Britney Spears.
If you love country you should get this cd as it might wake you up to something great finally.
If you love hip hop......well you can at least like that KoRn has a good focus on rhythm.

This easily belongs in the top ten rock/metal releases of 2013!
on November 5, 2013
To long time Korn fans, this album was a return to their innovative roots. From the moment the drums, bass, and guitar start in "Prey For Me", you know Korn is back again and just as good as ever. The dub-step experiment that was their last album, was something I stayed away from. With Paradigm Shift, they use elements of all of their previous albums to make one rocking CD. I noticed that several reviewers said how this CD is reminiscent of Issues, which I agree with. It has a slight extra-terrestrial vibe mixed in with some of the songs that calls to mind "falling away from me" and "make me bad" (listen to Love & Meth and Paranoid and Aroused). However, there are several new elements here that work very well. A toned down dub-step (Korn-step, I've... dubbed it..) is still there but it works very well (listen to Spike in my Veins). They even introduce an acoustic guitar (Lullaby for a Sadist) which I believe is the first time for that but I may be incorrect. All in all, a great and refreshing CD for Korn fans that will make you want to dust off those old discs and have another listen.
on January 1, 2014
Look, if you are considering a Korn CD at this point, you probably already know that they are not the same band that recorded their original, self-titled album or Life is Peachy. Since Issues, Korn has experimented with their sound and gone off in several directions either in the name of artistic creativity or to cover for the losses of key members David Silveria and Brian 'Head' Welch. I'll tell you right now, this CD is not a true return to original Korn, even with Head returning for this album. Original Korn had a progressive rock feel to it, this is more of a modern hard rock feel. If that turns you off, then forget getting this CD. If you are cool with that, please, read on.

I'll give you some reference on my taste in Korn music. Similar to Metallica, you have Korn fans that hate anything after "Follow the Leader" and you have fans that hate anything after the "Life is Peachy" (aka when the sold out). For the most part, I have enjoyed all of Korn's CDs. I actually like the CDs that involved Korn experimenting with their sound later in their career. I thought "The Path of Totality" was a great album. Unfortunately, "See You on the Other Side" had some good songs but was not a great album. With the new album, Korn promised a "heavier" album and that they would ditch the experimental side of things.

However, any time Korn promises a "return to roots" or a "heavier album", the results have not been overly impressive. "Take a Look in the Mirror" had 4 good songs ("Right Now" was my jam for a while), but it was not a great album. "Korn III: Remember Who You Are" was another 'return' album and it was TERRIBLE. I almost wrote Korn off after listening to that CD. Anyway, all that to say I was worried this "return" album would fall into the same trap as earlier Korn albums. I am glad to say I was wrong.

"The Paradigm Shift" is a really great album. It is solid from front to back. 'Love and Meth' is one of my favorite Korn songs in a long time. And the return to a heavier sound is done well, with awesome riffs and great beats. This CD seems to combine the best of Korn's experimentation with dubstep and the great guitars and bass stylings that Korn is best known for. Other tracks I enjoy are 'Victimized', 'It's All Wrong' and 'Prey for Me'. Unfortunately, some filler tracks keep the rating a 4.5 instead of a 5. I'm looking at you, 'Mass Hysteria' and 'Punishment Time'.

To conclude, this is my favorite Korn album right now. Korn's first CD will always be my favorite long term but this is tops for me at the moment. If you were a Korn fan in the past and thinking about trying them out again, this CD is a great time to take the plunge. Even if you are too young to remember Korn in their glory days but you want a good, hard rock CD to cruise to or jam out in your living room, this is a great way to scratch that itch. Enjoy.
on October 9, 2013
Oh my oh my it's about time Brian "Head" Welch made a return to the band that simply changed the metal scene in the early 90's and 2000's. Personally for me KoRn completely changed my taste in music, and opened my ears to dozens and dozens of bands I've grown to love today. This album just brings that heavy element KoRn was missing for all these years. Munky did a really good job on the 4 albums without head, but honestly I only really enjoyed about 5-6 tracks off See You On The Other Side and KoRn III - Remember Who You Are. Growing up with KoRn and being in love with their first 6 albums, I always kept on wanting more on the last 4 albums. This album ABSOLUTELY delivers what KoRn should sound like.

This might be my favorite album lyrically and instrumentally for these guys. It's obvious the maturity process with Head doing his amazing solo work, Munky being on his own really molded together well, almost like Head was just on a short hiatus. Jonathan's lyrics and vocals are beyond excellent on this album. Fieldy's bass as well seems to come back to life on this album as well. With the exception of Korn III I sware I had to be like ohh there's his bass! WTF it was so powerful and epic on Take A Look In The Mirror, then almost just disbanded the sound onward. If you have been a KoRn fan for years I assure you will not regret picking up this album. The deluxe is the way to go because you get 2 extra kick ass tracks and an hour documentary covering Head's return and his reasoning, recording sessions of songs, and a large background of the reconciliation of Head!!

I'm getting really tired of people saying it sounds like Untouchables or Follow the Leader. No actually it doesn't AT ALL, none of Korn's albums have EVER sounded the same with the exception of their first 2. That in itself is what makes KoRn so badass and still my favorite band to date. KoRn fans you MUST pick up this album!! If I can only figure out how to redeem my free t-shirt access code that came with the album haha

Personal favorites from album: