Oil month Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on May 28, 2014
Robbie Risner was a warrior fighting his third war--a professional fighter pilot devoted to his country and his craft. His book may have been the first published by a returning Vietnam POW. Whatever the publication date, it appeared within months of his release from the Hanoi hell hole, and therefore carries an immediacy that is undeniable. I rate it four stars because in the rush to publication some errors and omissions occurred that could have been avoided with a bit more time. For instance, Risner wrote that he was shot down the first time in early April 1965 when actually it was March 22, attacking a radar site. And curiously, he omits any mention of his leadership of the important first mission against the notorious Thanh Hoa Bridge on April 3. Also, some names are misspelled.

However, the errors are minor when compared to the overall effect of Risner's ordeal. Try to imagine living in torturous isolation for more than seven years--not knowing when or if you might be released. The POWs' mantra was Unity Above Self, and the huge majority lived up to that creed, inspired by the courageous example of senior airmen like Robbie Risner.
33 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 10, 2018
This is a book for my husband, another Vietnam era fighter pilot who flew with Robbie Risner. It was a very difficult book for him to read, and at times it was almost unbearable for him to read about the terrible things that were done to his friend. It was impossible for him to refrain from putting himself in that same position. In my opinion, this is the kind of thing we cannot, as a free nation, forget.
on February 20, 2018
I feel like every American should read this book. It changed me as a person. To endure so much, to be so thankful still; it puts our petty world into perspective.
on February 14, 2016
This is a cousin's story I am finally able to read. Very hard to find after Viet Nam. His story is simply told without major hysterics. It's about surviving as a prisoner of war and not losing his faith in God, believing he and his fellow prisoners will be freed and the strength he found in himself to survive the tortures. ALL POWs are special but knowing this one makes this story closer to my heart.
on August 20, 2016
I purchased two hard cover versions for gifts for my two grandsons, one of whom is entering the health care business.
If anyone thinks he/she has an idea what punishment the human frame can survive, Robbie's account of torture will help put a finishing touch on that.
on January 1, 2014
I liked this book because I wanted to hear from a POW what he experienced in captivity & what he thought about it & how he coped. This book met that singular requirement for me.

I also found it interesting that his marriage fell apart shortly after he was reunited with a wife from whom he'd been separated for 7 years. Sad that after having endured so much as a POW that he had to go thru not only a divorce but the death of his son. Robby found new love & could certainly weather these somewhat normal life disappointments that so many of us 'mere mortals' have greater difficulty with.
on May 26, 2013
I actually had read this book when I was about 17 years old. My Dad had served under Col Risner at George AFB. I gave this as a gift to a co-worker who is an avid historian. The copy I got was obviously one of the first paperbacks but all in all was in great shape. It was a story I am not likely to forget. Although the men tried to shield Risner there was no escaping the horrors of being a POW. I am sure that is as true today as ever. I would encourage anyone who wants to get as near to the truth as possible to read this book.
on March 6, 2018
One of the best books I have read about the capture and imprisonment of one of our military pilots in North Viet Nam.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 27, 2018
Great book. It tells a sad story.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2010
I came across the author when he appeared on 'Dogfights' TV series on History channel here and then found out that he has written a memoir of his POW time in N. Vietnamese prison, so I bought this book. It's an extremely well-written book and passionately pro-America, pro-military. I couldn't put it down. These men are/were extraordinary people who did a lot. I salute them.