Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Perfect Game
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Reading this book was an experience! It challenged me as a parent raising a teenage son. It confirmed the importance of always doing the right thing. It made me think, laugh, and deeply touched my heart. I really do hate baseball but did enjoy learning about the game. This is a must read for anyone raising kids, working with kids (especially boys), or who is interested in understanding the plight of this world if we do not raise more men of integrity. More "Trams" will make this world better.

I have passed this book on to others they have all loved the book and believe anyone who reads it will be moved!

I hope there is a sequel or two as Tram grows into adulthood. I cannot wait for the next book.
on June 30, 2011
Delightful book, sparks recollections from my own childhood. A good and enjoyable reading experience for young teenagers, but also for those of us who've left those formative years behind and have perhaps forgotten the raw nature of childhood. As a parent, it's a helpful reminder of what children face and perhaps guidance on what they need from us.

There's a lot of focus on baseball, I learned quite a bit I didn't know. But baseball and Tram, the protagonist, deliver much more than a simple story about baseball.

Highly recommend this one.
on February 12, 2013
Reading this book was a completely enjoyable experience. It reminded me of raising my two sons and their participation in youth sports, their friends, etc. Dr. Moore also was a lecturer in an online course that I took From Hillsdale College. I will not describe the wonderful ending other than it being powerful and moving. This book made me feel good.
on February 23, 2014
This book is a treasure!

Bought this for my nine year old son who loves baseball. As I read it, it's clear this is an advanced read for a nine year old. I started reading it to him at bed time and discuss the themes the next day. Eleven year old's and those going through the teen years have a better chance of absorbing the lessons. Bought a copy for my 11 year old nephew.

The first chapter is about going to church and is the slowest but no drag. The protagonist is itching to get to the field, but hears the sermon just fine. The action picks up as you get to the field. This story is probably set in the mid 80's to early 90's (they talk about video games a bit, but no apps, and a Mongoose bike costing $500). A little country music, no TV, and a few lines from favorite movies like Rocky. Childhood obesity is not a problem but there are some 'big-boned' kids. The few lines about Rocky are devastatingly insightful--worth the $12 in its own right.

The author creates characters who shine and others who do dastardly deeds. The dialog stretches your lingual capability if you are not from north Texas but you'll soon smile. The author knows baseball, knows combat, knows what teen boys are going through, captures their interactions with parents, friends and girls. Like Mark Twain, Dr. Moore writes a story worthy of becoming an American Classic about coming of age. The angst here is not about sex, pimples, drugs, or fitting in; it's about finding one's way to excellence. Frankly, it may not be liked by some who think all paths should lead to equal outcomes. This books makes it clear why we are all different and what choices we face that make us who we are.

The story is about a five month span in a 13 year old athlete's life; how he got to be who he is, and his friends. You can see how excellence is derived and bred into people. The last chapter is set in church and is so stunningly powerful--it needs to be shared.

This is a wonderful book, with a powerful ending that may sear into your consciousness like it did mine. It made me stop, think about the concepts, remember my own experiences, and apply some to how we raise children. You will feel the character's emotions, and maybe change course. This could make a very fine screenplay. 202 pages long--worth every cent and every minute spent with it. If you have a chance to add this to your 4th-8th grader's reading list, I recommend doing so for father and son's sake.

Extraordinary...the most powerful book I've read in some time.
88 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2014
The story plot is good. I like stories about the lives of boys since I once was one. The story unfolded well, the dialogs, which the spelling was to illustrate the less than perfect English pronunciations we are all guilty of was overdone and slowed my reading of it quite a bit. The main character is a young athlete who is a little too good to be believable, character building and athletic ability generally require more struggle and more humility lessons from errors in judgment than the plot illustrated. The book is still worth reading.
on April 3, 2013
This movie was so awaking to what life was like for children whom has nothing but have such strong beliefs of Jesus Christ. We enjoyed it and my grandchildren enjoyed it.
on March 3, 2014
This is a wonderful story about boys baseball and faith. A truly uplifting book. I look forward to his next book
on November 11, 2014
Great book great read, this should be required reading in High School and College as well
on May 26, 2011
"The Perfect Game", written by Dr. Terrence O. Moore, takes readers on a journey to Northwest Texas where faith, family, and the great game of baseball govern every young man's life. In fact, the story follows one such young man, Trammel D. Jones, who is admired by peers, parents, and coaches alike for his outstanding virtue both on and off the field. During one summer, Trammel is faced with the tough issues of life, death, girls, friendship, and, of course, baseball. By summer's end, Trammel has learned the most valuable lessons that will help him face life like a true man. A native Texan himself, Moore easily writes compelling and charming dialogue in the drawl familiar to Southerners and avid John Wanye fans. That aside, "The Perfect Game" is moving tale of true manhood, suitable for all audiences, regardless of age.