Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 400 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 821 reviews
on September 28, 2016
For me, it was a perfect storm for watching this film again. I was in Portland Maine with my bride of 30 years. After some sightseeing and a lobster dinner on the harbor, I just HAD to watch this movie again. I'm not a film critic, but on that night, it was pure magic for me (my bride dozed a bit, but chuckled at some of the great lines, especially Bugsy's and Irene's). There is some great dialogue here, and yes, some that's a little hokey. I don't care. I've watched it at least a dozen times, and I hope to watch it a dozen more.
review image
on September 14, 2015
This is a terrific, suspenseful and heroic look at the events of "The Perfect Storm", a unique set of weather conditions that led to the loss of the Andrea Gail. Excellent acting and terrific special effects! From Wikipedia: The F/V Andrea Gail was a commercial fishing vessel that was lost at sea with all hands during the "Perfect Storm" of 1991. The vessel and her six-man crew had been fishing the North Atlantic Ocean out of Gloucester, Massachusetts. Her last reported position was 180 mi (290 km) northeast of Sable Island on October 28, 1991. The story of Andrea Gail and her crew was the basis of the 1997 book The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, and a 2000 film.
on June 24, 2014
The movie is based on a book written by Sebastian Unger that explores the sinking of the Sword Fish boat, the Andrea Gail, during the collision of three storms off the east coast of the United States in October of 1991. The movie follows the book closely and pays homage to the six people who dissappeared at sea. True to form the movie portrays the characters as they are, average fish handlers, hard working, hard drinking, hard living individuals with average everyday problems. Captain Billy Tyne is on a streak of bad luck, and needs to change his fishing tactics or lose his boat. One last late season haul is the solution to all his problems, including the lack of respect from his crew. However, mother nature has something else in store for him. A very good movie and highly recommended for every land lubber out there.
on November 12, 2014
I have come to love this film over the years. I suppose I expected something more when it first released. There was so much hype about the novel and the film. I see now that is such a personal story. Men who go down to the sea to make a living, trying to make a better life, men trying to survive day to day and not just men, but women too. In each crew member there lives a story. Dreams, love, the open air, the sea... they are such wonderful and noble things. I suppose I originally expected a story bigger than life, but THE PERFECT STORM is life, it is living and dying ...that is part of the circle. And James Horner's score, I see now that this is one of his greatest scores. It is beautiful, it is haunting, it is powerful and intimate. That is how I feel about THE PERFECT STORM.
on September 18, 2013
A movie based on a storm...shows us that Hollywood can pull off just about anything with the proper effort. And the effort shows in this fine film. Sure, it takes a few creative liberties, but 1) this is drama, and 2) we don't know absolutely everything that happened out there in real life. So, I can live with the creative liberties. Anyway, George Clooney leads a band of fisherman out to sea after a previous trip brought them a poor haul and complaints from their boss/the boat's owner. They soon hit the jackpot and catch more fish than they know what to do with. Heading home, they are confronted by the storm of the century, or "The Perfect Storm" (there were all kinds of fancy weather-related explainations for what happened out there, but I can't get them straight to repeat them, so I won't even try.) This cast of fisherman has great chemistry with one another, even during the fights and disagreements. Ultimately, it is this chemistry that brings them together to battle this monsterious storm to the death. It's a film worth owning to see what drives these men, both out at sea and back home.
on September 8, 2016
My PC does not have HD capability, and the SD option offered by Amazon does not provide good streaming. The sound was fine, but the picture was like watching a slide projector. Don't waste your money if you do not have HD capability.
on November 23, 2013
I love G. Clooney....he's so handsome here.... all grubby, and fishy. He is also very kind and caring, over-worries about his crew and is also somewhat selfish and self-destructive. But, he is also quite noble, in this lost cause of a movie. Events, begin to look up for Mr. Clooney and the crew, as they begin to turn dark, darker and darker, still. The cast is great, handsome, tense and ultra -masculine. The captured swordfishes, are RUBBER!! thank fully.

The rattle trap fishing boat they use, is a no man's land of fishing boats. Ice machines breaking down, antennas ripped of the roof, giant waves...howling winds, treacherous seas. This film has everything, one could want in an action film.

And then, is just gets very, very sad.....
on July 2, 2013
someone made a movie that is a real life tragedy. We've got oodles of those stories, unheard by most. So for that I salute them. George Clooney is cast in the lead probably because he was super popular then. Mark Wahlberg is in the second place probably for the same reason. I think they'd have done better and been more realistic to cast unknown actors. My opinion solely and has absolutely no influence obviously in Hollywood. LOL Basically about a bunch of guys who head out because their greedy boss is pressuring them to haul in more fish; Captain wants to please the boss. So they go out and get caught in the mama-jama of storms and that's it.
on July 19, 2013
SPOILER ALERT!!

So, for some reason, and I don't know why, I had been apprehensive to watch this film. I am a HUGE George Clooney fan. I had seen all of his films except this one and Collinwood. I finally decided to sit down and watch it online one night. WOW! I loved it so much I got on here and bought the DVD the next day! I have to say, the fact that they all die does suck! But, that being said, I understand it was based on a true story. There were also arguments that I have heard, as to the realism behind this plot. Obviously no one knows the true journey those men faced aboard that boat, because they died. But, adding to the base story that is true to make this better for Hollywood, this is excellent! Sure, some of the scenarios they survive up until the boat sinks border on unbelievable. But, what else would you expect for a film like this. I wanted to be on the edge of my seat, and it certainly did not disappoint in that aspect! This is a true must see!
on April 28, 2017
My favorite movie from the past. Great movie great DVD. Played fine. received it on time