Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on August 15, 2012
The perfect Yankee.
Authors Don Larsen and Mark Shaw achieve two things with this book. First the reader gets an autobiography of Don Larsen and reader also gets a detailed break downs of every key situation in Larsen's life and his perfect game five in the 1956 World series game against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Larsen had a long career but he was an average pitcher at best with the shining exception of one key game in 1956. Larsen and Shaw take the reader through Larsen's childhood ,his baseball career and to a certain extent his life after baseball.

Larsen got his start in professional baseball baseball playing for the St Louis browns and then the Baltimore Orioles (the Browns became the Orioles) and had a record of 10 wins and 33 loses before being traded to the Yankee's in 1955. he went on to play for many teams including the Kansas city A's, The Chicago White sox, the San Francisco Giants, the Houston Colt 45's and the Houston Astros (same team with a name change) and the Chicago Cubs.

Larsen and Shaw do a fantastic job of providing mini biography's on the players that Larsen and Shaw talk about in the book and really excels in Larsen's pitch by pitch, batter by batter, inning by inning description of his 1956 World Series perfect game.

Larsen and Shaw do a good job of building excitement through out the the description of the perfect game, building to the climax of the last out of the game (Dale Mitchell striking out) you almost feel like you are there with Larsen though out the game but especially with the last batter.

The writing style was crisp and kept me involved and interested in the book. Nice autobiography on Don Larsen and an outstanding recap of the game.
on January 24, 2013
While I am definitely not a Yankee fan (born in Detroit and the Tigers are my team) I really enjoyed this book. Larsen gives a detailed look at his pitching approach to each batter inning by inning and digresses with some nice background history for players on both teams. For those of us old enough to remember this game with Mantle, Berra, Snider, Martin and all the rest of the Dodgers and Yankees it is a very nice refresher course. If you were not around in 1956 it is a good way to learn about how the game was played before free agency appeared and changed everything. And I was reminded that baseball is truly a game of inches as Snider misses the foul pole by not very much and then is called out on a close pitch. Casey Stengel, a wacky manager in his day who was loved by all, names his starting pitcher (Larsen) on the day of the 5th game. Many more details are presented as the game moves along and the zeros (or goose eggs) appear on the scoreboard. If you are a true blue baseball fan, young or old, this book should appeal to you.
on October 26, 2012
"The Perfect Yankee" is a very good book about Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series. To date, Larsen's accomplishment has never been equaled by another pitcher. Note: Roy Halliday did pitch a perfect game for the Phillies in Playoffs but not in the World Series. Although Don Larsen is not a writer, he and his co-writer do a good job relating both the action and the circumstances as the game was being pitched.This game was the highlight of his entire career as a major league pitcher.

I bought the Kindle edition. The ease of ordering this edition was very easy.

I recommend this look at one of baseball's highest achievements.
on September 30, 2012
I am not a Yankee fan but reading this book brought back so many memories of ball players from the past. It took me back to my childhood. I loved the different stories about both the Yankees and the Dodgers as well as other players that were mentioned.
on April 23, 2013
As a Yankee fan I looked forward to reading the book. It was a bit tiresome to read and at times not that interesting However as a diehard Yankee fan I am glad I read it. The book has a lot of interesting aside about the Yankees I grew up and loved. I would recommend it for Yankee fans Not because it's great reading.
on June 26, 2015
Enjoyed reading about the game, the players, and thoughts from Don Larsen of what he experience during the game. Easy reading.
on September 23, 2012
Although a enjoyable read (for real baseball historians), this title is from the genre of the "as told to" (Pre-"Ball Four")sports "autobiographies" prevalent in the 1950's and 1960's. No major insights or revelations, just a drawn out revisting of the 1956 World Series perfect game pitched by the "author".
on June 8, 2013
I bought the Kindle for my husband and then downloaded some books...He loves baseball so I knew he would enjoy this book...I just asked him about it and he said he loved it. Now he is reading The DiMaggio book and so I will write to you when he finishes i.RBt
on June 6, 2013
I was only 5 years old when Larson pitched the perfecto, so I was too young to remember the game itself. Many ball players mentioned in this book had careers going into the mid 1960's and I do remmember them. I could not put the book down.
on October 23, 2015
Great, must have read for any true Yankee fan