Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Phantom Tollbooth
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 2, 2017
You can't beat Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth for brilliance and creativity. The illustrations by Jules Pfeiffer are a wonderful accompaniment.
on May 2, 2017
This is such a great, classic fantasy book. I believe I read it as a third grader and loved it. I just bought it for some kids from church who are very avid readers because I know they'll enjoy it, too.
on June 10, 2015
My grandsons looked forward to my reading of this book. They would ask for the next chapter every time they would come over until the book was finished.
This was also a book my first teacher in hypnosis (therapeutic trance) used to illustrate how story and verbal flexibility speak on more than one level at the same time.
The drawings deserve special mention; a wonderful combination.
I liked the book so much, I passed the paperback version on to a lending library and ordered a hardcover version for my personal library.
2 helpful votes
on April 15, 2017
I read this book for the first time in second grade. Just reread it after forty years and it still blew me away. This book and A Wrinkle In Time are the two books that started my love affair with reading. I would highly recommend this book for anyone.
on July 27, 2016
I purchased the Phantom Tollbooth for a friend who had never heard of it. Really? I thought every Boomer had read this fantastic tale! It was first read to me, and the rest of the class, by my third grade teacher, Mrs Vadetskey. What a incredible journey Milo takes. Milo, a board little boy who is about to have his world turned upside down when he drives his car through the Tollbooth. My favorite has always been jumping to conclusions... I'll save the rest for you to discover. Just a great book!
on May 30, 2015
This book is a classic for older children and adults who love clever wordplay. It describes one boy's journey from everyday boredom to understanding that each day is a treasure to be used wisely. Along the way he meets a watchdog, a humbug, a senses-taker, a spelling bee, and many more examples of characters who help (or try to hinder) him from finding the princesses Rhyme and Reason. It is a fun book, not overlong, and is something that adults can have as much fun with as can younger readers. The illustrations by Jules Fieffer are charming (as always) and this is an excellent book to give to the next generation of youth, as well as to re-read as a grown-up.
on August 18, 2017
I loved this book as a kid. I haven't read it in years and when I saw it thought I need to reread it. Love this book
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2016
A truly great book! A classic for kids, youth, and adults. Shows the connections of math and literary learning--for schooling, and in the real world.
on November 14, 2013
"There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself — not just sometimes, but always.

When he was in school he longed to be out, and when he was out he longed to be in. On the way he thought about coming home, and coming home he thought about going. Wherever he was he wished he were somewhere else, and when he got there he wondered why he'd bothered. Nothing really interested him — least of all the things that should have."

And with that, Milo is any real life kid who's bored of the world around him, until he gets a mysterious package and goes on a trip through the Phantom Tollbooth. Written in 1961, this childrens' novel is fabulous. It reinforces that even though there are things that you need to learn, you have to be balanced and not dismiss the ideas of others. I introduced it to my 5-year-old a chapter or two a night as a bedtime story, and now at 6 he has his own copy to read and love and read again.
on February 7, 2017
This has to be my favorite book of all time. I'm pretty sure this book alone is the reason why I love reading. The imagination, the overall message, the language, the themes. It's a beautifully crafted piece of literature. I urge any parent to either purchase this book for their child or buy it and read it to your munchkins. This book is so special to me and I know that many will find it just as amazing as I if they give it a chance.