Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on July 14, 2016
This book was transformative for me. Mired in pain and grief after my wife left, I was unable to make any sense of my life. And then I read this book, and it opened up a path for me that helped me understand what I was experiencing and how it could serve as the way toward enlightenment.
28 people found this helpful
on December 21, 2017
Have you ever heard the expression, “Don’t just sit there, do something”? This book offers the alternative, “Don’t just do something, sit there.” If, like me, you’ve spent a good part of your life escaping from sometimes terrifically uncomfortable or scary circumstances and feelings, this book is for you.

This book has offered me the ability to learn how to sit with many difficult feelings that were unsafe to express growing up with loving kindness, just like I would have imagined a parent might do. Instead of allowing these feelings to push me into actions that are not in my best interest, I watch them come and go in meditation and have learned from Pema how to not get attached to any of them. Because they will surely change just like the weather.
12 people found this helpful
on August 24, 2015
I can't say enough about how great this book is. As always I find that I must savor this book. This is not one that you would get, read in a night and move on with your life. If you do that you're missing the opportunity to grow and learn. Pema Chodron is a wise and compassionate teacher. This book teaches to be present with the energy behind the story, behind the drama. It offers an opportunity to become a peaceful happy person capable of making the world around us a better place.
18 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2016
I've been navigating some challenging stretches over recent months, and I found the tone and spirit of this book to be so helpful. There are parts that pushed me out of my comfort zone and old habits, and then came with a gentle reminder to not slip into condemning ourselves when we make mistakes in our practice to sit with uncertainty and discomfort. Will read again, just wish it was an audiobook!
7 people found this helpful
on February 28, 2018
This is the best book I have read in regards to dealing with anxiety and fear. The chapters are short and easy informative which makes for a great nightly read. I flagged several pages for daily reminders and I keep the book by my bed to reach for when I need calming and constructive help.
5 people found this helpful
on January 3, 2018
I think this book was good when it first came out, but at this point, it seems behind the times as far as spiritual practice and psychology go. The ideas just seem like those we've all heard before. This may well be because the book was so successful that the ideas were quickly integrated into mainstream thought, so more power to you, Pema.
on December 9, 2015
I am still reading this, but just the half so far has brought me so much joy/peace/knowledge/general appreciation for buying this book. I'm big into yoga and have read some self-help categorized books before, but I think this would be good for anyone, as long as they're somewhat open-minded. I've recommended this to several friends so far and they've all loved it.
6 people found this helpful
on April 20, 2018
I’m not even all the way through it and I am recommending it to all of my friends. It may sound strange but I love the way she organizes information. It’s ancient knowledge delivered in bite sized pieces with bullet points that are easy to chew on. If you’re a deep thinker and like to roll around in some thoughts before moving on to the next thing, this book is a great read for you. I am hyper analytical and some books deliver so much information at once that I have to put it down before finishing a chapter. This book is both well written and organized.

The message is one that will begin to affect your daily life, especially if you are in a meditation practice. If you aren’t, it may encourage you to take up a practice in meditation and of lovin yourself fully.
on August 5, 2015
This book has really helped me connect with myself. I've struggled with many things like most adults: career, friends, relationships, etc. Although I am not a Buddhist (I am a practicing Christian), I could relate to many of Chödrön's teachings. Her explanations are clear and to the point. And much of what she says challenged me to hunk about how I can find more peace in a world that is pulling me in so many directions. With this book I have the blueprint for understanding how to maintain inner peace and joy.
on August 31, 2015
Pema does it again! She gets at the root of the thought process. How habitual thinking patterns (negative) can really flip us into dillusion. Meditation and compassion for ourselves/others can help us understand our negative emotions. I bought the kindle version - loved it! Especially the resources at the end of the book! Her writing style is clear and concise!