Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on March 24, 2014
Being a big fan of Almaas's books I have had this on my shelf for years and have attempted read throughs many times but just gave up. It was so hairsplitting on the subject of Kohutian and Kernberg's self-psychology on narcissism that it didn't hook me. Quite unlike the other two Diamond Mind books. More recently I realized that I should take it as separate books and see which one is the main idea of the transformation of narcissism and self-realization. It turns out that book two is the meat of this. The core of the book. It could easily be read as a separate book from the others, which are in depth explorations of self-psychology and essential realization. So I read through just book 2 and am now going through the other books in spurts. Book 2 was fantastic. It outlined the origins of and the phenomenological transformations of the deepest levels of narcissism into the establishment of essential identity.

Almaas really needs to be accepted into the transpersonal field. Compared to his phenomenologically grounded metapsychology, the field of transpersonal psychology is a hodgepodge of map makers that fall short of Almaas's (and colleagues: Johnson/Faisal) brilliance and coherence.
on December 29, 2008
This book is intense. Don't even think about it unless your mind is ready to go on a journey. Not really for the lay-reader. Of course, if you're one of those types who really likes reading psychology journals and scientific papers and stuff, then you might disagree, and you might say this is fluffy or something. But, for lay readers such as myself - it pushed the limits of my cerebral capacities.
However, after pushing through to the end of the book, I've gotta say that I now see reality in a completely different light. He really breaks down exactly what Self-Realization is. Before this book, I didn't really think there was such a thing as self-realization or that it was even important.
I love this book, and I can't wait to re-read it again someday and find out how much I must have missed the first time through.
Highly Recommended for those bold enough to digest it!
on November 14, 2012
There is only one thing that I would like to add in regards to my reviews of the first two books in this series. When Mr. Almaas refers to "diamond" essence, ie "diamond strength", "diamond will" and so on, what he's referring to is -unconditional- essence. Not only can love become unconditional (something which people fail to understand by and large) but so too can strength, will, compassion, and so on. I hope that helps some people make better sense of this book than I did the first time around.

Besides that, this is a must read. I also suggest following this with the Diamond Body series. I found it was by far the most logical transition.
on June 22, 2014
As usual Almaas explores deeply the relationship between the human psyche and spirit. This is a detailed description of our relationship with narcissism and only for those who are really committed to understanding the nature of personal experience. A must read for those folks!
on December 29, 2016
excellent work on topic of authentic self
on May 30, 2014
Made me think, made me feel, and made me happy. What am I doing, anyway? A challenge to read, because it cuts to the chase about what am I, and I have to actually consider the grounds that I have taken for granted.
on February 11, 2016
Very deep, and profound,had to read it over a few times just to absorb it all. Wow.
on July 8, 2016
Cogent, usable information hard to come by. Should note that I was studying this text along with Sam Vaknin's "Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited." Possibly an unfair comparison, but that's my take on "The Point."
on November 3, 2013
The Point of Existence is brilliant. Almaas is the most psychologically sophisticated spiritual teacher writing today .
The Point of Existence is very theoretical but worth the effort.
on August 14, 2006
The author considers narcissicism in its various folds to be the central impediment to self realization. He looks at it as a natural human defense against what he sees as the almost inevitable annihilation of our soul and the "essence", that we encounter early on in our family upbringing. Not only is it the root of most psychological problems, but we will encounter it constantly while seeking a life of the spirit.

The best book on self realization that I've ever read, because of its compassion for and understanding of the difficulties a Western mind encounters on the path. It does not stop at the Freudian model for psychological health, but rather sees recovery of lost

essence as the key to the self.