Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Camila Cabello All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

The Pout-Pout Fish
Format: Board book|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 22, 2017
This is one of the books we had under the tree last year for our youngest grandson, a darling little board book that - from my take on it - delivers two clear messages that are true not just for the children this book was designed for, but adults as well. First, that how we see ourselves can become a self-fulfilling prophesy... if we compare ourselves unfavorably to others in our circle (i.e. so-and-so can do such-and-such much better than I, such-and-such comes so easily for others but not for me, I'm not as loveable as so-and-so), and keep re-playing that tape in our heads (perhaps reinforced by how we feel others view us), then what we "see" in that mirror is who we'll end up being. But if we focus instead on what we have to OFFER to others, we can change that reflection to one we feel a whole lot better about! The other is that we are capable of influencing others in positive ways by demonstrating simple acts of kindness and compassion, much moreso than using words to point out faults or telling people how they "should" be, "should" feel, "should" act.

Brushing off the admonishments of his friends to stop being such a gloomy gus, (Ms. Clam with her winning smile, graceful Mr. Jelly(fish), slender Mrs. Squid, and Mr. Eight, an octopus who just lays it right out there: "Your hulky-bulky sulking is an unattractive trait!", the pout-pout fish has come to believe that spreading the "dreary-wearies" is just who he is, and accepted it as his fate. Then one day a new fish arrives, and rather than dispensing more words, she non-judgementally gives him a simple kiss and swims away. Experiencing how good her gesture made him feel, that simple act awakens the pout-pout fish to the possibility of what he himself might be capable of - "spreading cheery-cheeries all over the place!"

At just 2 1/2, we weren't able to explain it in those exact words to our grandson, but he's past 3 now and children at young ages have minds just like sponges - though they might not realize it, those are the lessons they'll begin soaking in with this charming book. REALLY like this book! Sturdy 6-1/2" x 6-1/2" book with thick pages for child-friendly turning.
on January 12, 2018
This (and another one from the same series) has become the favorite book of a 2.5 year old - she absolutely loves it. It also keeps the attention of a 6 year old - a great book for a toddler to a small kid. The messaging is simple but great. It is written in a more sophisticated language rather than simple baby speak of a lot of books for that age (which makes it a lot easier to keep reading over and over for an adult...) but the rhyming makes it accessible for young kids. The illustrations are also excellent and well thought out. Overall it's a fun and entertaining book.
on June 18, 2016
This book with its sing-song rhythm and upbeat ending is arguably my favorite children's book. It is also tops on my toddler's list as well. Started reading this to my daughter when she was about 6 months old and she still reads it now at 2. I see this being a good book even into early school years for her. We've also picked up some of the author's off-shoots to this including her holiday book and the fish goes to school. Each have been just as thoughtfully written. Highly recommend this series.
review imagereview image
0Comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2018
Love this cute little book. My daughter and I read it at least once a week, we have a LOT of books to cycle through and this one has quickly become a favorite!!!
on January 12, 2018
Adorable book!!! My 6 month old loves listening to us read it to him, the repition is great for young children.
on January 7, 2018
Love reading this to my little girl!
on January 14, 2018
Great rhythm and rhyme to this book! My grandson loves to have it read to him. One of my favorites!
on January 10, 2018
Arrived quickly. Just as described.
on January 11, 2018