Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2011
"The Main Thing"... that is what this book is all about, getting you, your employees and your company aligned to a single focus. Now, why it took 190 pages to say that, I don't know. I bought this book based on the great average review but I will not lie, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of ideas that can be implemented quickly and make this book useful. Now I understand the value of having everyone behind an idea but the reality is that it's simply not easy to pull off. In summary, this book did not live up to my expectations based on the average reviews.
on August 25, 2007
After reviewing several books on Strategic Execution, I was continuously left with the feeling that the authors had ommitted a key ingredient. This book has convinced me that that key ingredient was "Alignment".
This book was published 10 years ago (OK, I am embarrassed that I have only just got around to reading it) but it is as significant today as it was when it was first published. Probably more so considering the rapid state of change that most companies are faced with today.
It is a simple read, and the concepts are easy to follow. What I enjoyed most about the book is that the suggestions are practical and you can take them and implement them immediately within an organization.
I noticed that one of the readers who has reviewed the book said that the book was required reading for his MBA course. 10 years on, I still think it should be required reading for any business executive.
on February 7, 2012
This is one of the only books I have read multiple times. I've read it 3 times already and will read it several more times. I wish I had read it when I was a younger businessman, starting a business with the ideas outlined in this book provides a great advantage if one plans to grow one's business. I've given away more than ten copies!
on July 10, 2007
I'm always looking for visual ways of understanding critical elements of strategy. The Power of Alignment offers a very helpful way of thinking about four important ingredients in keeping the main thing, the main thing. Vertical alignment, the relationship between your strategy and the people on your team, "energizes...provides direction, and offers opportunity for involvement." Horizontal alignment refers to the connection between your processes and customers. Taken together the two measures provide some great insight into the development of genuine alignment.

One of the most interesting elements of the book is a 16 question diagnostic tool that is designed to provide a graphic view of your organization's alignment. Very helpful!
on December 31, 2014
Seriously solid insight for open and growth-minded leaders.
on March 16, 2009
This book is dated and probably not worth your time but if for nothing more than a refresher, it's also not terrible. However, I got it for my Kindle 2 and having read all of the more popular org dev books I thought I'd give it a try.

The point is that if you align strategy, people, customers, and processes, you stay aligned in your business. I guess if you don't already know this, then this is a good book. If you do, skip it and re-read good to great or built to last.