Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,708 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,099 reviews
on December 8, 2016
This was a really amazing book. It literally changed my life. I have been reading a lot of self-development and psychology books and there are similar messages in all of them, including this one. This book just approaches it from a more simplistic "just do it" kind of perspective without all the scientific jargon of how you are rewiring your brain.

The end goal here is that amidst the spiritual undertones of the book, what Tolle is really educating people about is self-awareness, which is the cornerstone of growing emotional intelligence. I was reading Daniel Goleman's book, "Emotional Intelligence" at the same time and the parallels were quite obvious. The additional benefit that Tolle offers is walking through some meditations and affirmations and presenting the information in a way that is like an easy to digest conversation.

After I was about halfway through the book, I had a moment of sitting in my car by myself, and had the thought, "I don't have to take this bulls*** anymore, I am not a victim," and then I laughed for about five minutes and many months later, still feel great about all of the things I was able to let go of.
0Comment| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2017
I was feeling suicidal and had been for two years. I was completely done with life, with trying to heal my emotional traumas, limitations and with trying to be a full-functioning adult. I felt trapped inside an endless corridor of meaninglessness and pain.The Saturday morning when I was contemplating really ending it, I heard an inner voice say "one last book, read one last book and if you still want to kill yourself, go ahead." This was my "last book" I read it three months ago and haven't returned to that dark and hopeless place yet.
It taught me how to disconnect from the insanity of the mind. I had spent my life reading thousands of books trying to "figure it out" to make my way to a place of happiness and functionality, what Tolle explains that trying to solve the problems of thought from the level of thought is an impossibility. When we let go of mind-consciousness we do not become a meditative vegetable, instead, we gain access to the consciousness of our whole body and a more advanced awareness. I know it sounds weird, but it works. When I can stay present everything I do becomes more effective, and my social skills are way better now then they have ever been.
I don't mean to say that this is the be-all and end-all to human growth, but it has in fact saved my life, so I figured it at least deserved a good review. I am no longer helpless in the face of crushing memories and emotions. Thank you, Mr. Tolle.
on November 10, 2015
Eckhart Tolle's, The Power of Now, is a monumental achievement in spiritual literature.

The theme of the Power of Now is that you can find and maintain a deep sense of peace, joy and fulfillment, and in doing so, "return home to yourself." These concepts are very real and attainable. The goal is to break through the barrier of the noise of the mind. When you do this, it is like having total awareness of being alive. It is like being able to see the world with clarity and without the constant stream of mental judgments, mental noise and fear. Even the appearance of objects seems so different and vibrant. And even physical space takes on new meaning -- you sense that everything is connected. Knowledge takes on a deeper dimension that transcends language. Instead of having faith in God, you know and feel God. You go through life having a deep sense of peace and joy. You feel that peace and joy within yourself and external to yourself. It is a life with little mental fear. The peace you feel is not like coming home to yourself, it is coming home to yourself, meaning your natural state of being. When you realign with yourself, it becomes obvious that this state is the way you were meant to be.

A main theme to Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power of Now, is that humanity can change, but it will start with individuals returning to their spiritual center. Just as humanity can learn from the past of what it doesn't want to be; humanity can learn from the past what it wants to be. His message is that we need to look to the past and see the common thread of messages of hope given to us. These messages of hope are: (1) that we are spiritual beings; (2) that we do have an innate joy and peace within; (3) that we essentially have God within us; and (4) that we can experience a new reality that is radically different, but radically true to whom we are.

The Power of Now's message is that many people of he past and present have broken the barrier of fear and discontentment; they have rediscovered or reconnected with their deep sense of peace and joy. In our lack of understanding, we often refer to these people with terminology that may not really be accurate: "enlightened," "awakened," "mystics," "gurus," "holy," etc. These terms are too loaded and create an impression that such a state is unlikely to occur to the average person. We can find our peace and joy and find it now. We are not discriminated against when it comes to God's Grace.

Tolle aids the process of coming home to ourselves. He provides us with an age-old message and road map to achieve this. The road map is simple, yet so profound. The message is simply: we need to quiet our minds.

So, how do we quiet our minds according to Tolle? How do we realign with ourselves? How do we take off the onion layers to our minds and reconnect with that joyful and peaceful part of ourselves?

The term meditation is probably not what you think or have been taught. Meditation as it used here is more a way of life that can be used in any and every activity you do for the rest of your life. Eckhart Tolle talks about different ways to get reconnected with ourselves. What is interesting is that many of the methods are somewhat mechanical, and the process is less spiritual than one might think. The end result, however, is certainly deeply spiritual.

Some of these methods are:

1. Breathing and being aware of your breathing;
2. Being the witness of your thoughts without judgment -- allowing thoughts to flow without identifying with your thoughts -- deeply acknowledging that you are not our thoughts;
3. Feeling your physical body and allowing it be without judgment;
4. Feeling your emotional body (including the emotional pain) and allowing it be without going on thinking tangents about the pain -- just being there with the raw physical emotional pain.
5. Getting in touch with the silence and stillness that is ever present; (so as you listening intently to the world around, you pay attention also to the silence that is behind all sounds);
6. Being totally present where you are and allowing that which happens to be;
7. Acknowledge and avoid the traps of time -- with a deep understanding that in reality what happened in the past is no longer; and what happens in the future is not now (basically time really does not, from a physics perspective, exist);
8. Accepting what you are at any given moment;
9. The simple act of asking God to allow you to feel His presence/His Grace, and then, the act of you feeling God's presence;
10. To go deep inside yourself and realize that innate joy that is ever present -- God.
11. Feeling the stillness within yourself.

One myth is that to obtain peace, joy and God, you need to takes years of monk-like seclusion. In fact, finding what was traditionally known as "enlightenment" could take a few minutes. The quicker you break down the noise of the mind and become present with the world without judgment, the quicker you can come home to yourself.
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2017
This book offers many great passages on how our minds and egos can be the most destructive forces in our lives. We are conditioned by society to always live in the future or the past as opposed to simply living in the moment. We have computers and technology that help connect us accross distances but lead us further away from the people that are right next to us. How many times are we glued to computer/phones while we ignore the world around us. People search for answers to Life's greatest questions in religons that want you to believe that there's a paradise waiting for us after death. Why should such such a paradise exist if we can't be there right this moment? If it causes us to forget about all the joys and experiences we encounter during life why should we have so much hope for it?

There is much potentail to what the author lays out in this book but it is up to the reader to follow what is written. While some people may not agree with some aspects of the book or feel that there is too much repition the central message is clear: Start living in the NOW and stop letting your mind control your life. This is not one of those books you should read fast but would be great in small chunks. Any philsosophical text requires one to read a passage and take some time to digest/think about what they read. I puchased the Audible version of this book as well and feel it would be great to listen to passages while on walks through nature or just during meditations. The fact that the author himself narrates the book adds another layer to the information he presents.

During my reading/listening of this book I never found any strong religious overtones so while there a some Biblical references he does bring in some Buddhist concepts as well as Taoist ideas. It's not a preachy book in that sense which kept me reading (It probably would have deterred me from reading it otherwise). I don't have much of a relgious background (my family did not have any religious affiliation growing up) which is why I find the ideas in the book easier to accept over the literal interpretations of, say, the Bible. I think anyone regardless of religious affiliation would find something in this book that would coincide with what they already practice.

This book is something I look forward to rereading/listening to in the future (which doesn't exist if you accept what the author states) during walks though nature. I recommend the audiobook version because the author does a good job with the narration and it wasn't much of an extra cost for it.
on June 4, 2017
If you worry to much and have periodic anxiety episodes this is the book for you. I bought the audio version and have listen to it twice. It may, as it did for me stop creating problems for myself. I though this book understand I spend too much time in the past and in the future. I now stay in the now and practice this concept everyday and it has reduced my level of anxiety and worry 90% and I hope if I keep using the practice of staying in the "Now" I will eliminate many issues I was creating for myself. Worth the money. I bought the other book by the author "Practicing the Power of Now". I walk everyday and look forward to learning how to stop poor mind control of miscellaneous messages from the mind that run all the time and eliminate everything that is not an issue "now". It helps you understand why the past and future cause us issues.
on April 13, 2017
I picked up my first copy of this book off a $1 table in an old bookstore in Echo Park, CA some years ago. I was in a rut and honestly feel this book was waiting for me to find it. A few years later I re-read the book and even purchased the audio version to reiterate some of the concepts. Since then I've purchased copies for several friends whom could benefit from Tolle's insights which are alarmingly simple yet grossly ignored by most of the Western world. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking guidance and that extra nudge out of their personal rut. :)
on August 30, 2015
Great audio book. This should be required reading for every human being on the planet. A human user's manual if you will. I can't believe I lived so long with out this. This book took the insanity away from life and for the fist time in fifty years I felt blissfully happy and learned the secret to remaining in this blissful happiness continually. This is a book with the cure for what ails you do yourself a favor get and read it and put it into practice and you will learn what true happiness is all about.
on January 30, 2017
I was experiencing crippling anxiety, and due to lack of insurance, I was unable to seek help. I was worried about my relationships and jobs suffering due to this, and found myself in constant fear of a breakdown. I found this book and it literally changed my life. Recommend this to anyone. Very thankful for this book.
on May 18, 2016
This book changed my life! I cannot thank the author as well as the whole publishing team for putting this book together. I am forever thankful for the wisdom I gained/realized after I read this book.
on May 23, 2014
I was two weeks into a painful breakup and someone suggested this book to me as the "only thing that got me through my last terrible breakup", so I bought it that evening and started it. I woke up very early the next morning (I was sleeping horribly) and read some more. It made an immediate difference for me. Practicing turning off my thinking (sadness about the past and terrific anxiety about the future) grounded me a lot that day and was a turning point in my breakup pain. It was kind of unbelievable that it had such a dramatic effect so fast, but I was in so much pain that this book really spoke to me and I was ready for and receptive to its message. I told people that the book basically gave me permission to stop thinking. I stopped trying to fix my problem (of feeling bereft after being left after 10 years) by thinking it through and organizing my next moves so that I'd feel more secure. I actually let go of a lot of my fear and that allowed me to make some constructive and daring moves that I would otherwise not have done. I can imagine that it won't change everyone's life upon reading it, but it sure impacted me because of when I read it.