Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,853 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,254 reviews
on June 5, 2017
I was feeling suicidal and had been for two years. I was completely done with life, with trying to heal my emotional traumas, limitations and with trying to be a full-functioning adult. I felt trapped inside an endless corridor of meaninglessness and pain.The Saturday morning when I was contemplating really ending it, I heard an inner voice say "one last book, read one last book and if you still want to kill yourself, go ahead." This was my "last book" I read it three months ago and haven't returned to that dark and hopeless place yet.
It taught me how to disconnect from the insanity of the mind. I had spent my life reading thousands of books trying to "figure it out" to make my way to a place of happiness and functionality, what Tolle explains that trying to solve the problems of thought from the level of thought is an impossibility. When we let go of mind-consciousness we do not become a meditative vegetable, instead, we gain access to the consciousness of our whole body and a more advanced awareness. I know it sounds weird, but it works. When I can stay present everything I do becomes more effective, and my social skills are way better now then they have ever been.
I don't mean to say that this is the be-all and end-all to human growth, but it has in fact saved my life, so I figured it at least deserved a good review. I am no longer helpless in the face of crushing memories and emotions. Thank you, Mr. Tolle.
44 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2016
This was a really amazing book. It literally changed my life. I have been reading a lot of self-development and psychology books and there are similar messages in all of them, including this one. This book just approaches it from a more simplistic "just do it" kind of perspective without all the scientific jargon of how you are rewiring your brain.

The end goal here is that amidst the spiritual undertones of the book, what Tolle is really educating people about is self-awareness, which is the cornerstone of growing emotional intelligence. I was reading Daniel Goleman's book, "Emotional Intelligence" at the same time and the parallels were quite obvious. The additional benefit that Tolle offers is walking through some meditations and affirmations and presenting the information in a way that is like an easy to digest conversation.

After I was about halfway through the book, I had a moment of sitting in my car by myself, and had the thought, "I don't have to take this bulls*** anymore, I am not a victim," and then I laughed for about five minutes and many months later, still feel great about all of the things I was able to let go of.
0Comment| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2017
I was experiencing crippling anxiety, and due to lack of insurance, I was unable to seek help. I was worried about my relationships and jobs suffering due to this, and found myself in constant fear of a breakdown. I found this book and it literally changed my life. Recommend this to anyone. Very thankful for this book.
on September 24, 2017
I am late in reading this, though have watched him on t.v. and videos. Not sure I will ever get quite to the point that he is of just being, but this has given me a greater appreciation in the present moment. It's amazing how different things taste when you take the time to savor each bite, every sight and feeling is enhanced if you concentrate just on that one thing, every movement, breath and so on. The book holds may ponder worthy things. need to read it again to fully digest all and put it to memory.
on April 24, 2016
There are many words to describe what this book might.. There is a deep understanding beyond what the mind can comprehend. The simple realization that most of life's suffering was created by thinking is a liberating feeling, and that has been succinctly pointed out in this book. Many people feel presence but to truly realize it and practice it, the power of now is surely a path
on February 9, 2015
If you're ready to face the truth about religion, ego, self loathing, trying to be something you're not, this may be the book you need to read. Not easy reading because it's NOT about the "head" or "brain" it's about finding your authentic self and living in the "now". Bringing past failures, resentment, pain into the present and dwelling upon those negative aspects of your life only hinder the healing that is available through delving into a deeper spiritual level that can free you from pain. Not a book to be read on "how" to gain more information, or knowledge. You have all you need, you just to need to know how to access that part of your spiritual being and live.
This may sound like double talk, but once you begin the journey of finding your true, authentic self through consciousness it will make more sense to you than all the external gymnastics most religion require in order to find God. God is ever present, always there, but our ego centered mind, doesn't like living in the present it wants to be preoccupied with the painful past, or projecting unrealistic anxiety into the future.
Begin where you're at and go from there. That's where The Power of Now, can help you become "aware", conscious and alive. It's not about believing any prescribed theology, it's about living and knowing who and what you are meant to become.
on August 22, 2014
I now notice that I have read Tolle's two main books in the wrong time order. This 'Now' is about ten years older than 'A New Earth', so here are the original thoughts. Of course, they can be read independently, and they both contain the same basic ideas, but they are not replaceable by each other. The New can be seen more like consequences of the Now, a building on the fundament of this older work. It is remarkable that the original work is still valid, a kind of proof of the firmness of the original ideas.
To me it is the most fascinating idea that without me feeling to the least degree scitsofrenic I can think that there is two bodies of myself, or actually three: the physical and two spiritual bodies: the conscious mind and the real inner body. 'When thinking, the tyrant, the mind is ruling me, my real being' as Tolle says. Tolle's ideas, presented in this book, are a valuable guidance to
the recognition of the Real Me, my inner body.
According to Tolle, the Real Me is not recognized by deep thinking, but on the opposite, by stopping it, surrendering to what is, what exists. Damn the past, do not worry of the future. There is no such thing as time. Time is just an illusion. All that really happens, does it right now. So the old wisdom of the two words 'carpe diem' - 'seize the day' is the kernel of Tolle's Now. - It is just astonishing that these word are not referred to in this book. It can well be, of course, that a day is too concrete and too long unit for Tolle, in fact a unit of time, which just is completely damned.
If you are thinking any past ideas, then the mind, the conscious mindbody is using you. You are unconsciously identified with it, so you don’t even know that you are its slave. In stead you should try to reach the consciousness away from mind activity and create a gap of no-mind in which you are highly alert and aware but not thinking. This is the essence of meditation.
Says Tolle: "Ceasing to create pain in the present and dissolving past pain — this is what I want to talk about now. Here is the key: End the delusion of time. Time and mind are inseparable. Remove time from the mind and it stops — unless you choose to use it. Nothing ever happened in the past; it happened in the Now. Nothing will ever happen in the future; it will happen in the Now."
When you remember the past, you reactivate a memory trace — and you do so now. The future is an imagined Now, a projection of the mind. When the future comes, it comes as the Now. When you think about the future, you do it now.
Tolle's radical advice sounds: 'Find the "narrow gate that leads to life." It is called the Now. Die to the past every moment. You don't need it. Only refer to it when it is absolutely relevant to the present. Feel the power of this moment and the fullness of Being. Feel your presence.'
Do not turn your attention elsewhere in your search for the Truth, for it is nowhere else to be found but within your body. 'Through the inner body, you are forever one with God' says Tolle.
And how can you in concrete terms try to find your inner body and give more space to it? This is what Tolle says:
"When you are unoccupied for a few minutes, and especially last thing at night before falling asleep and first thing in the morning before getting up, "flood" your body..."
Surrender is the simple but profound wisdom of yielding to rather than opposing the flow of life. However, do not confuse surrender with an attitude of "I can't be bothered anymore" or "I just don't care anymore."...
In surrender, you no longer need ego defenses and false masks. Presence is the key. The Now is the key.
on April 6, 2017
some people use their minds,
while some minds use their people (host).

the factor determining this is,

those who use their mind, are "being with" the thoughts,

the minds which use their people are those folks who "are the" thoughts.

or,

those who are "being with" the thoughts, use the mind,

those who "are the" thoughts, donate their life energy to fuel a a group of words,and energize it into an idol of emotion.

i am happy, implies that the statement is happy.

and this is the literal truth for those who sacrificed themselves in order to identify with a mind.

I'm curious about your reaction, sould one explain that his leg is in pain, because a pain loaded knife ejected itself into a cut it produced in his flesh, and that the physical sting is owned by the knife, and that he isn't in pain at all, but the knife is in pain (he doesn't even poses a capacity to host and experience physical pain), and the knifes pain is merely invading his leg as a stranger visiting there.

But when it comes to emotional pain, that's precisely what we claim by claiming that someone violated and abused us.
on February 21, 2017
I've recommended this book to more than 5 people who started reading the book even before I had the chance to finish it!!
The experience of awakening as described by Eckart is absolutely mind blowing and by all means life changing, I highly urge you to read this book with an open mind and a curious self, allow yourself to go beyond your comfort zone.
Definitely worth a second read through with mindful appreciation.
on June 16, 2016
This is one of the book that has made a huge impact in my life, I would say the first book that has so much impact in my life I really recommend it to those who are struggling or suffering with fear, depression, anxiety or any kind of suffering.
Great Book Thanks Eckhart Tolle.
I am now a better person because of this book.