Lyft Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 5, 2017
I was feeling suicidal and had been for two years. I was completely done with life, with trying to heal my emotional traumas, limitations and with trying to be a full-functioning adult. I felt trapped inside an endless corridor of meaninglessness and pain.The Saturday morning when I was contemplating really ending it, I heard an inner voice say "one last book, read one last book and if you still want to kill yourself, go ahead." This was my "last book" I read it three months ago and haven't returned to that dark and hopeless place yet.
It taught me how to disconnect from the insanity of the mind. I had spent my life reading thousands of books trying to "figure it out" to make my way to a place of happiness and functionality, what Tolle explains that trying to solve the problems of thought from the level of thought is an impossibility. When we let go of mind-consciousness we do not become a meditative vegetable, instead, we gain access to the consciousness of our whole body and a more advanced awareness. I know it sounds weird, but it works. When I can stay present everything I do becomes more effective, and my social skills are way better now then they have ever been.
I don't mean to say that this is the be-all and end-all to human growth, but it has in fact saved my life, so I figured it at least deserved a good review. I am no longer helpless in the face of crushing memories and emotions. Thank you, Mr. Tolle.
77 comments| 521 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 24, 2017
Bought the Silent Mind ~ Antique Design Tibetan Singing Bowl Set ~ With Mallet & Silk Cushion ~ For Meditation, Chakra Healing, Prayer ,Yoga, and Mindfulness ~ Perfect Gift with the "Power of Now" , so I thought I'd make a special joint review to talk about how I am using them both.

I love Eckhart and his teachings on the "Power of Now". He really shows us how to slow down from our busy hectic lives and appreciate being in the moment. His teaching also help keep me "out of my own head" , I have the tendency to worry about future events, and rehearse past events.

I decided to experiment with a singing bowl to see if it would help get me "into the now" before doing mindfulness meditation, to help stop my mind from drifting to the future and past. This singing bowl is a real gem! The sound is beautiful, simply strike the bowl before starting meditation and hold your concentration on the sound until it fades into silence. It really helps you relax into the meditation and get into the now... Also, if you catch yourself getting distracted you can tap the bowl again, and follow the sound to pull your attention back into the now.

Great combo for study and practical use.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 30, 2017
I was experiencing crippling anxiety, and due to lack of insurance, I was unable to seek help. I was worried about my relationships and jobs suffering due to this, and found myself in constant fear of a breakdown. I found this book and it literally changed my life. Recommend this to anyone. Very thankful for this book.
0Comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
What a meditation in itself to listen to Eckhart Tolle on Audible in The Power of Now. This book describes a belief system based on living in the present moment, in the Now, never outside of the Now for there is where all of our human sufferings resides. None resides in the Now. The core message is that our emotional problems are rooted in our identification with the mind, the stories that our mind tells us about the past or the future. If you want to disable the mind and find that stillness, that silence in which all heavenly peace resides, you must come to the present moment. The mind, Eckhart explains, cannot function without the concept of time and that is why we are either in the past or in the future, attaching, clinging, worrying about one or the other. There is no concept of time in the Now, and that is how you cease the bickering of the mind.

The format of the book is in Q&A, someone reads the questions and the author answers. I found this to be very effective in breaking down the concepts in digestible chunks and expressing the views of us the reader as if we too were having a conversation with the author.

You can certainly argue with him on every point he makes, but then again, your higher awareness knows that it is your mind trying to defend its position so it can keep you hostage to its own whims and desires. Maybe it is better to let go and experience the joy and the peace that truly resides in the now.

As I was finishing this book, I was vacationing in Hawaii, and while I've been on Oahu a number of times and experienced the very same beauty, I decided to emerge in it. To really see it with fresh eyes, to really be present in everything, to see if I can even glimpse into the joy and the beauty which is hidden right before our eyes because we simply do not slow down enough to see it. And I must say, I felt a sense of deep joy and constant happiness, one that I didn't even have in my previous trips even though I'd describe all of those trips as "great"!!!

Eckhart's voice is slow, measured and methodical. This book is easy to follow. Most spiritual books can get complex and deep. While there are passages which I hit rewind to take in more than once, it was done in such a way that I am most grateful, because of its simplicity, I hope it will stay with me
longer.

A must-read if you want to free yourself of worry and anxiety. You may just hear the same message of all spiritual books in a way that it will stick, and isn't that what it's all about? For us to hear what we already know deep down in such a way that it will go deep and reach into our own divinity and allow us to let go of nonsense so we can experience peace. So much peace.
on April 13, 2017
I picked up my first copy of this book off a $1 table in an old bookstore in Echo Park, CA some years ago. I was in a rut and honestly feel this book was waiting for me to find it. A few years later I re-read the book and even purchased the audio version to reiterate some of the concepts. Since then I've purchased copies for several friends whom could benefit from Tolle's insights which are alarmingly simple yet grossly ignored by most of the Western world. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking guidance and that extra nudge out of their personal rut. :)
on October 20, 2017
Thought I knew somewhat of Christ's teachings and life's secrets - but all my understanding was masked by my ego. Until I was there nitride card and actually went through this book a few times did I then begin to even see and feel what freedom and "salvation" can be - and it is right now not in some non existent future. This book should be in school libraries for youth and required reading as a classic novel whether or not the content is believed... to be discussed and rebutted or embraced and lived. I now am beginning to see the cult-like culture within organized religions and he freedom of being who I am.
on October 9, 2017
This is THE go to book for self-awareness and clarity. If you suffer from anxiety, this book is a must read. It explains how your mind works, and how we as a society are actually addicted to thinking. Our minds never get a break, and Tolle teaches us how to turn it off and how to use the tool that is our mind, rather than having it use us. Now, with the advent of social media and smart phones, it is even more relevant. Being fully in the moment is the key to enjoying life, yet it is getting farther and farther from our grasp in this crazy, stressed, rushed society we live in, where Christmas begins in our stores the day after Halloween and we are always forced to be thinking about tomorrow rather than today. Highly recommend.
on October 19, 2017
There was a couple of times I saw it in the bestsellers section of my local bookshop. The "#1 NYT bestseller" and "5 million copies sold" signs on it caught my attention and made me turn a couple of pages scanning and skimming the content. Then I went online to read the reviews on Amazon, which most of them were positive to the point calling it "life-changing." Lured into this rep of this book, ordered a copy and started to read as soon as I got it. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DISAPPOINTMENT IN ANY BOOK AS I WAS IN THIS ONE. I felt like the author made his absolute best to make this book as gibberish-y as he possibly could. Confusing language, weird insights, and oh my goodness, so many freaking repetitions. Time Magazine was 150% correct calling it "Mumbo Jumbo." I wish I could read all of those 1-star reviews before spending my money, energy, and most importantly time on this "Mumbo Jumbo."
on January 31, 2018
Absolutely revolutionary approach to how we see time and life itself. My eBook copy is full of highlights and notes from passages that seemed to be written expressly for me. I read it while travelling abroad and it was particularly powerful while exploring new places and challenging my beliefs about what's "normal" in everyday life.

It's important to note that this book is not a textbook nor a strategy guide. It addresses the deeper underlying assumptions and beliefs that we hold, helping to open the reader's eyes to a different way of thinking and appreciating the moments in which we find ourselves. That said, there were many passages that resonated deeply with me, but I was left wanting more to put the insights into practice. This is where it's useful to check out Tolle's "A New Earth" for more practicable insights.

Overall, I'd call this book an entryway into a new way of thinking. Tolle pulls back the curtain on an understanding that lies just beyond where we normally live, and it's up to the reader to step through the doorway and explore that space for him or herself, and discovering the many other resources to help one find their place in all of it.
on June 14, 2017
This is a great book for anyone who wants to change their life and especially so for those who are caught up in their thoughts in a daily basis and would like that to stop. Like the subtitle of the book says, it's a guide to spiritual enlightenment, but even if you aren't interested in that I still recommend getting the book. This book explains how our rambling thoughts and our engaging with them (which causes more thoughts to form) has negatively affected our lives in so many ways. He also explains how this is not how life is supposed to be. We are able to turn our minds off when we don't need it.

I am currently rereading the book. It is not a book that you can just read once. You have to go over it a few times and will probably have to refer to it during the course of your life. But don't just read it over a number of times, you must put it into practice. That's the best way to use this book.

As to those who have said the author has a condescending tone, he doesn't. Just listen to the audio version of the book and you'll see. As for those who think the pain-body only applies to people who have gone through a traumatic experience, it is not. He explains what the pain-body is in the chapter on the pain-body so I won't explain it here. An example would be someone who is very negative and dwells on the past or the person whose negativity blows up in anger a lot. Those will be the more prominent signs of the pain-body. If you don't identify with having a pain-body, you are probably more balanced than others.