Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Power of Three
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on September 30, 2012
I will say this for BBC's reboot of Doctor Who -- the show does both its Hello's and its Goodbyes very well. It will be difficult to write much in this review without offering spoilers. I really, really enjoyed this episode. It kept me guessing. It had Moffat's usual riddles and it had the depth of emotional drama one saw in the best of Russell T. Davies' episodes. I've been missing the old romance and panache of Amy & Rory's relationship for the past few episodes, and this episode brought it back in a huge way. Some depth added to the relationship between River Song and the Doctor, as well.

My favorite line from the episode:

"We're changing the future. It's called marriage."

God, that hit home. As both a married man and as a viewer who has really invested in Amy and Rory, this one hit home.

What else to say? The Weeping Angels were back. They weren't quite as chilling as in "Blink," but there were several intense moments that recalled that episode. As well as one rather majestic moment: "You have got to be kidding me." The show included a beautiful tribute to Manhattan and an homage to 1930s noir.

That's all incidental, though. The Doctor may hate endings, but it is the ending of this episode that is so poignant. I don't usually tear up at television. But I suppose when I do, it's when I'm watching Doctor Who.
33 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
I have it very very rough these days. There aren't a lot of things for me to look forward to anymore. But I can look forward to Doctor Who.
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2012
For the dedicated Doctor Who fan, it isn't a matter of whether this is less or more than "Blink". The deliciousness lies in this season's beginning ending with "The Question That Must Never Be Answered" - just a sly HINT of where we're going on this year's roller coaster ride with the Doctor. And WHO is there among us who could POSSIBLY resist that?!?

The story is amazing. Touching. Human. And humane. "Subtract love, add hate." That is the formula that makes a monster of any human. How strong must be the love that keeps us human in the face of our worst fears!

"Asylum of the Daleks" is a GEM - one of the greatest "Who's". EVER.
on September 23, 2012
The Power of Three focuses on the bond between the Pond/Williams family and the Doctor. Amy and Rory are questioning the double lives they have traversed since the Doctor arrived and whether or not they should give up time travel. When black cubes descend all over the earth, the Doctor decides to live with his human family to discover the reason for the year-long invasion.

For those dedicated Whovians who love Amy and Rory, you may feel a bit weepy watching this episode. There are shout-outs to what has come before - characters and other companions, and a heartfelt confession from the Doctor to Amy that may require a tissue or two.

Per the Doctor Who Season 7 production schedule, The Power of Three was the final episode Gillan and Darvill filmed as Amy and Rory. In their last scene together the Ponds got into the TARDIS with the Doctor. And when the doors closed, the three actors embraced and cried.
on September 1, 2012
Matt Smith is at it again. And we all get to come along for the ride! It is shameless of me, yes, but I love amazon.com streaming. We can buy every episode here, the day after it
airs in the UK and then watch it as often as we like. It's the best, but mostly because it's "Dr Who".... the only intelligent writing left in the Universe perhaps. I am a pain in
the keister when it comes to film, but I love my BBC and I am so ready for this season!
on October 1, 2012
What an episode! The Angels! River Song! The Statue of Liberty!

This is an extremely well written episode, one that leaves you amazed that all that happened in only 45 minutes. The episode hooks you from the beginning, and, like Asylum of the Daleks, gives an old enemy new tricks.

The episode had many touching moments, and the narrated lines by Amy at the end were a good bookend to her story.

Some episodes of Dr. Who have seemed light on the story, lacking in character, or neglecting some other thing. This episode was very well balanced. Good plot, good pacing, great character moments. It leaves you wanting more and satisfied with the ending at the same time.

Bring a tissue. And don't blink.
on September 9, 2012
If you look at the title "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and think "That's silly. I won't like it," then you won't. If you look at that title and think "F*#$ yes I want dinosaurs on a spaceship. And throw in some Egyptians," then you will. As a bonus, Mitchell and Webb!
on September 10, 2012
(Warning: This review may contain spoilers if you have not watched the episode.)

This episode starts off with a bang and keeps up the intense pace until the very end. I love the inclusion of Queen Nefertiti and Rory's dad. We got many laughs when Amy said she learned from the Doctor that the first thing you do when entering a room is press buttons. And then later on, when she said she was Rory's queen - priceless. I also enjoyed watching Rory in action as a nurse; I appreciate that he has become a vital, useful companion over the last series.

The script is very well written, although the fast pace does make it a little difficult to follow along if you have a cold as I did during the first screening.

When I first heard the title "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" I was a little doubtful at how it would turn out. The revelation that the spaceship was an ark built by the Silurians was a brilliant twist - of course the Silurians, being technologically advanced at a time when the only mammals were tiny rodents, would have attempted to avoid the extinction.

Overall, a very great episode that stands alone by itself, but which gives enough foreshadowing for future events to leave me eagerly impatient for the rest of the series.

Regarding the Amazon Instant Video specifically: we decided to purchase the season pass, and I am very pleased with it. Both episodes have been available when we wake up on Sunday morning. It's not as quick as people who can watch it on BBC America, but for $2 an episode, I can't complain. No way could we justify paying $60 in cable bills just to watch Doctor Who.
on September 9, 2012
I admit. It's awesome having Mr. Weasley be Rory's dad. But that non-linear beginning was enough to drive me nuts. It straightened out about a third of the way through, but the plot still isn't one of their best. Although the ending was very like the Doctor. At times he doesn't have to mess with moral quandaries. He just does what he does and who cares what human morality would say. In this case I backed him.

I can hardly wait for the next episode. Cyborgs in the wild west, the Doctor in a cowboy hat, and an awesome American demanding everyone not native to America put down their guns. Couldn't ask for more.
on September 23, 2012
This episode is definitely not a good one to introduce someone to Doctor Who with, but for someone who has been watching for a while this episode is a treat. There is a wonderful nod to the classic Doctor Who character The Brigadier. I appreciated insight into the Pond normal life. So often we slip into thinking of them as the Doctor thinks of them, just waiting around for the Doctor to call.

PS. When a friend has never seen Doctor Who and I only have time to show one episode, I show them "Blink" (Season 3, episode 11). It's a brilliant episode that doesn't require much back-story to understand.