Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on August 15, 2017
the latest crazy
on August 18, 2015
Some very cool recipes in here, along with recipes for the table using your canned goods. I made the cherry moustarda - wonderful :)
on April 17, 2013
Great book, lot's of interesting ideas and the kind of quality I have come to expect from 10-Speed Press. I have not yet made anything from the books plethora of recipes and formulae, but there are several I have marked.

1. Format: The pictures are nicely done as is the art. The tables are a bit misplaced and awkward with respect to the content, and they don't seem to flow with the layout as well as they could. The graphics could use some captions. There were times when I saw a picture and was wondering what it was, the recipe before the graphic or the recipe after the graphic. A little guesswork and I was able to identify each one, but readers hate guessing.
Even though the layout was a bit weird, I REALLY loved the font and font spacing. VERY readable, and this is something sourly lacking in many books, so high praise for the fonts.

2. Content: The content is new and refreshing and treats the concept of 'preserves' with respect. These are not your grandmas pickles so if you are hoping for a more traditional approach to 'pickling' and 'preserves' you will be disappointed. This is a new spin with tons of interesting flavor combinations pulling together many new ideas.

3. Reference: The table of contents were well done, no complaints, index seemed to be kinda jammed in there. The acknowledgements seemed a bit rushed and non-inspiring. The lack of a bibliography and a resources sections were the most disappointing parts of the book by far. So, for resources I understand the author is emphasizing local, local, local, and I'm cool with that, but not having to find my own resources for pink salt (curing salt) would be nice as would a compendium of other resources I could turn to. It's hard for me to give credibility to an author who does not have a bibliography from which he/she draws from to form their own epistemology and it seems a bit arrogant to assume we are not shaped by others. HOWEVER, to be my own devils advocate, a lot of this stuff is SO unique perhaps the chef is really, that great. I presume he is.

Thanks for a great book, and I can't wait to get 5-pounds of asparagus for some pickles! Kudos!
on March 16, 2015
I had a hard time reading the faint print, and didn't find enough interesting recipes to merit keeping the book.Very pretty book though, and might make a nice gift for the right DIY-sort of cook.
on December 18, 2014
My family is going to neat to let our seams if we making these recipes! I have yet to come across a dud and we have gone through quite a number of them. Nothing overly sweet and the suggesting pairings are divine.
on September 2, 2014
I have used and learned so much from this cookbook. It has wonderful recipes as well as "lessons" in why. My canning has been taken to the next level
on September 7, 2015
Excellent!!!! Love this book! A wealth of knowledge!
on January 19, 2014
Purchased this book for my boyfriends birthday, because I knew he's into making his own sauerkraut. This is a fantastic book if you're interested in pickling as well. Great ideas both savory and sweet!
on April 10, 2015
Very beautiful book!! Probably one of the best books on preserving. Great information!
on June 16, 2013
I've been making preserves & pickles since I was 21, have won blue ribbons, & thought I knew a few things, but this book taught me a tremendous amount. It has techniques & ideas I'd never even considered before. The book is beautifully photographed, too -- in fact, at first I thought it was a coffee-table book, not a real working cookbook. In addition, the second half consists of excellent suggestions, with recipes, for how to use all those things you've just put in jars (if you end up each fall with a pantry of filled jars & then must scramble for ways to use up the contents before the shelves collapse -- you know who you are -- this is invaluable). Seriously -- once you're past the Ball Blue Book, this is the book you want.