Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

The Prestige or The Illusionist?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2007 10:31:19 AM PST
Wayne Klein says:
It seems that people come down on one side or the other but I enjoyed both films. They are quite different and while I enjoyed "The Illusionist" I thought that "The Prestige" was a much more complex film both emotionally and with its convoluted narrative.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2007 12:08:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2007 12:09:51 PM PST
Dale Smith says:
You are quite correct. I also saw and enjoyed both movies, but remember The Prestige worked with much larger budget, and greater studio backing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2007 1:15:12 PM PST
Je'kob says:
I haven't seen "The Illusionist" yet, does it also have a twist ending?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2007 2:48:39 PM PST
Richie W says:
Yes it does have a twist ending. But it's not as smart as The Prestige.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2007 4:47:49 PM PST
Ronald Alves says:
i disagree. i found 'the prestige' to be somewhat schizophenic in its multiple paradigm shifts and i think that 'the illusionist' retains a certain mystique after it ends, while 'the prestige' divulges practically all its secrets to us. plus this is a love story, and 'prestige' came off as a film about rivialry and vengeance, which is usually a much harder subject to connect with in my opinion.

...though 'prestige' had david bowie as nikola tesla, so i think that fact alone makes it about even between the two.

magic rules yer face, either way.

=]

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2008 3:54:12 AM PDT
Antiseptic says:
They're both great movies, I liked The Prestige a little more though but that's just because it takes awhile to get into The Illusionist. The Illusionist is a good romantic movie I think couples would like more. The Prestige reminded me a lot of Batman Begins cause it has two of the same actors and the same director, so if you enjoyed that film you'll enjoy it, it's more for us guys.

I gotta recommend both of them, they both had their parts and I had to watch them both over again to "clearly" see things.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 8:52:02 PM PDT
Movie Maniac says:
I also saw both movies and think that the Illusionist is way more than strictly a romantic movie because it in fact has much more to offer. It offers much of the illusions that the prestige also offers. However I enjoyed the complexity of the Illusionist a bit better. However overall I do agree that The Prestige was the slight better movie. Both endings were magnificent. Both movies had ending nobody could have foreseen. Both are great movies. Anybody thinking of seeing either of them is making a great decision. I think everyone should see both movies!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 11:10:08 PM PDT
molly says:
Not true, I enjoyed both Batman Begins and The Prestige more than The Illusionist, and I'm a girl. It's all about personal preferences. I found The Illusionist difficult to get into because of several stiff performances by certain important characters - though at the moment, I can't remember which.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 9:57:35 AM PDT
J. Creamer says:
I saw both movies within a week and immediately liked The Prestige much better. Since then, I have rewatched The Illusionist and love it, too. They are so different from each other. All they really have in common is the profession of the main characters. I wish they had not been released so close to each other. It made it impossible to not compare the two.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 3:33:22 AM PST
Georgedc says:
I enjoyed both very much, but prestige is "on another level" better!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 8:34:30 AM PDT
The prestige is the better film. It has a better director(Chris Nolan... 'nuff said), better actors, and a better story. The illusionist basically used special effects to mimic illusions that would have been impossible at the time period, and instead of an explanation of how this one illusionist accomplished it, you basically get. "It's all an illusion! Crazy!"
You are made to hate the bad guy because of a rumor that he deal violently with a girl in the past - and then he gets his comeuppance due to being charged with murdering someone else. The problem is, this murder is completely faked, so his comeuppance is him being railroaded for a crime he didn't commit. They never take the time to prove the previous rumor was true, so you could totally see the movie from a different point of view - that of an illusionist ruining someone's life based on the fact that he's kind of a jerk.
The Prestige, on the other hand, takes time to show how almost every illusion is done - the though processes behind them, as well as how they can go wrong. It's a more complex story, because instead of having a simple formula like the illusionist (jerk = bad, make him pay, regardless of the circumstances, the audience will eat it up), the prestige didn't really have a hero or a villain. (though that could be a point for debate)
The Prestige sets the tone from the very beginning. Just as the movie starts, you hear a voice say "are you watching closely?" There are so many details to pick up on, and a story to try to decipher before it's over.

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 5:56:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2013 5:57:29 PM PDT
Dealzguy says:
I liked both the movies. Andrew Giuliano's comment is spot on. The Illusionist is what it is, audience have to accept it - no questions to be asked. The Prestige is more complex and answers all the questions. The Prestige is on one's mind long after the movie is over, sort of sad ending though...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions