Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 3, 2015
I've grown up watching the movie roughly 396 times a year and will always deem it as my all-time most favorite movie ever. So naturally, when I found out that the movie was actually based on a novel, I had to have it. My biggest fear was that it would be a watered down version of the movie with less humor and wit, or that the movie took the best parts and the book would be mostly unsatisfying filler with the occasional recognizable humor. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I daresay the book has even more humor and more wit than the film adaptation. William Goldman's story telling is pure genius, writing from a satirical 1st person perspective of how he created an abridged version of an old non-fictional book from a fictional country written by a fictional author. As you read through the "abridged version" you will frequently stumble across familiar lines you've come to love from the film ("INCONCEIVABLE!") but with slight variations in certain parts (ex. a more detailed story of how Wesley and Buttercup fall in love on the farm), and often times even more brilliant substance added to classic scenes you already love (Prince Humperdink's Zoo of Death).

You also gain a better understanding of the film and why certain scenes play out the way that they do, such as why Inigo drunkenly yells out to Vizzini that he's going "back to the beginning" and the backstories to both Inigo and Fezzik beginning from childhood.

After reading the book you'll have a newfound appreciation for the movie which you'll see is a fantastic adaptation, and you'll have a fantastic time wrapped around Goldman's hilarious finger as he guides you through a truly wonderful story that feels exactly like the timeless classic we've enjoyed watching for years.

If you've never seen the movies, you'll like the book. If you've seen the movie a million times like I have, you'll LOVE the book. It's truly a must have for every Princess Bride fan. You won't be disappointed.
175 helpful votes
176 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 21, 2016
I found the book by Cary Elwes to be a truly genuine heartfelt description of a once in a lifetime experience. How many people get to have an experience in which every aspect, even the difficult parts, of the experience are worth remembering. Although I realize that screen stars and movie makers (along with songwriters) will say anything, I think that this book truly describes what happened without embellishment. I like that Cary narrated his own book because the inflections in his voice helped add to the descriptive nature. Hats off to all the people involved with making this classic movie. After reading this, I'd love to meet each and everyone of them.
on December 29, 2013
I waited many years after first seeing this movie for it to come out on some type of video. I have owned the VHS tape and now have purchased the classic anniversary Blu-ray. This is the greatest fun for a family to enjoy. The characters are played by the top of the line of actors. I will enjoy this story forever. I will laugh at the great fun it gives me. There will never be a cast as good as this one. Those of us who watched Andre the Giant as a wrestler will certainly enjoy his role in this sweet story of a son's quest to find his father's murderer and the hero who pursues the lovely Princess with so much love in his heart. Hooray for a good fairytale!
on January 14, 2016
Buy this book people. This is the most beautiful thing to come to my doorstep in a long time.. and that's passing over the snow white kitten that came to my door in red boots. This book will make your darkest days full of hope and belief in true love and miracles.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on July 4, 2015
It's hard to categorize the movie, but it is very entertaining and has a dedicated following. Several of the lines in the movie have become immortal. "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." "Have fun storming the castle!" Well worth the time to watch it.
3 helpful votes
on January 12, 2014
This may be just an opinion, but it is an option shared by many that The Princess Bride is one of the best films ever made. On my personal list it is only second to Casablanca. It is enjoyable by all, young and old, man or woman, boy or girl. It is clever, funny, suspenseful (though that is slightly dismissed by the fifteenth time watching it), exciting and romantic. There are also some fun literary things for those who have read the novel and seen the movie. If I had to pick a favorite character in The Princess Bride, I would have to say it is S. Morgenstern. The wittiest most silent character in the story.
on April 2, 2015
This movie is our family favorite! My husband and I have loved this movie since it first came out and now our 16 and 13 year old sons love it too! Clean movie without swearing or sexuality. A clean, brilliantly written, clever movie! Wish there were more movies like this. Just goes to show that you can have a great, enjoyable, funny movie without intense violence, swearing, or sex! Would definitely recommend that everyone see this movie!
on December 20, 2007
A young boy (Fred Savage) is sick so his grandfather (Peter Falk) comes to visit and read him a book, The Princess Bride. As he reads, we see the fairy tale play out on screen with occasional interruptions back in the real world. The book starts off as a love story, between a girl named Buttercup (Robin Wright) and her farm hand, Wesley (Cary Elwes). When Wesley is lost at sea and presumed dead, Buttercup becomes engaged to Prince Humperdink (Chris Sarandon). She is then kidnapped and Wesley returns from the dead to save her. There's much more, but I don't want to spoil any more for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

The Princess Bride is a hard movie to describe because it covers so much ground and crosses over all the traditional boundaries. It's a romantic comedy crossed with an action film with a large dose of fantasy (Lord of the Rings style). This is all in the main story, but the sequences between Peter Falk and Fred Savage defy any real categorization while providing some of the most enjoyable and memorable moments of the movie.

After a few minutes of enjoyable setup material, the main story gets underway and the rest of the film is virtually a non-stop thrill ride. Along the way, we meet more interesting characters than you'll normally find in any five movies and all of them are perfectly cast. There are no major stars, just a group of people ideal for their parts. Andre the Giant was no actor, but he did a great job as Fezzik, the gentle giant. Mandy Pantinkin brought tremendous heart to Inigo Montoya. Chris Sarandon is the epitome of a scheming prince who looks fair on the surface, but is twisted and empty inside. Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Billy Crystal, and the rest all seem as though they're born to play their respective parts. Of course, even in this group, a special mention should be made of the chemistry between Peter Falk and Fred Savage. The interplay between those two is priceless.

It's hard to put why The Princess Bride is so good into words, it really is something that has to be experienced before you'll understand. I recommend this movie to one and all. It's one of the most entertaining movies ever made and one that holds up extremely well over multiple viewings.
on October 29, 2017
The movie is 5-Star for nostalgic entertainment but I reduced it to 4 stars as the dvd I received was not the 20th anniversary edition.

I can’t wait to purchase and read the thirtieth anniversary edition of the novel just released this year! I’ve heard it fleshes out our beloved characters zoo much more.
on June 9, 2015
Reviewing the 1.85 ratio Blu-Ray only version of The Princess Bride, what can I say but it's a wonderful film. I watched this as a kid and liked it. I watched it as a teenager and liked it more. Now as an adult, I love the film more still. I can easily re-watch this and always enjoy it. I've seen the actors from the film all say that it was their favourite movie they ever made. And I can see why. It's entertaining. But more to the point, it's funny. Every actor has a great sense of humor. You can feel the frustration that the cast has in certain scenes. A classic movie all the way around.