Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 3, 2015
I've grown up watching the movie roughly 396 times a year and will always deem it as my all-time most favorite movie ever. So naturally, when I found out that the movie was actually based on a novel, I had to have it. My biggest fear was that it would be a watered down version of the movie with less humor and wit, or that the movie took the best parts and the book would be mostly unsatisfying filler with the occasional recognizable humor. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I daresay the book has even more humor and more wit than the film adaptation. William Goldman's story telling is pure genius, writing from a satirical 1st person perspective of how he created an abridged version of an old non-fictional book from a fictional country written by a fictional author. As you read through the "abridged version" you will frequently stumble across familiar lines you've come to love from the film ("INCONCEIVABLE!") but with slight variations in certain parts (ex. a more detailed story of how Wesley and Buttercup fall in love on the farm), and often times even more brilliant substance added to classic scenes you already love (Prince Humperdink's Zoo of Death).

You also gain a better understanding of the film and why certain scenes play out the way that they do, such as why Inigo drunkenly yells out to Vizzini that he's going "back to the beginning" and the backstories to both Inigo and Fezzik beginning from childhood.

After reading the book you'll have a newfound appreciation for the movie which you'll see is a fantastic adaptation, and you'll have a fantastic time wrapped around Goldman's hilarious finger as he guides you through a truly wonderful story that feels exactly like the timeless classic we've enjoyed watching for years.

If you've never seen the movies, you'll like the book. If you've seen the movie a million times like I have, you'll LOVE the book. It's truly a must have for every Princess Bride fan. You won't be disappointed.
11 comment| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2016
Buy this book people. This is the most beautiful thing to come to my doorstep in a long time.. and that's passing over the snow white kitten that came to my door in red boots. This book will make your darkest days full of hope and belief in true love and miracles.
on July 25, 2015
If you haven't seen this and have a significant other that you feel romantically inclined to and they love romantic movies, well this is the one.

It's also a fun story for anybody - adults will still get a great laugh. Maybe it's really made for us? :)

Can't go wrong on this movie.
on May 29, 2014
If you have not seen this movie, well crawl out from under that rock, dust yourself off, grab some popcorn and have a seat. From the book of the same name; this movie blends a handful of characters in a cute Carl Reiner adaptation that will take people of all ages back to the age when stories were all new. It's cute, it's funny and if you have kids you will have an excuse and not surprisingly the desire to watch it over and over again!
on January 30, 2014
I have been a fan of The Princess Bride practically all my life, but I have never seen it quite like this. I have always watched it on my decade old DVD but after it finally cracked I was desperate to watch this fan favorite. After searching Netflix, CinemaNow, and Vudu to no luck I stumbled upon it here, thrilled to discover that it was in HD. I watched it on my PS3 and was beyond pleased to notice that it was streaming in 1080p definition. The high definition makes this magical film, well, even more magical. The scenery pops.

I won't review the film because I'm sure 99 percent of the world's population has seen this movie. All I will say is check it out in high definition; whether it be via Amazon instant streaming or via Blu-ray disc. You will absolutely not be disappointed.
on May 21, 2015
The film is awesome, an instant classic and this version is pretty cool. Even better it's got something for everyone. Romance, comedy, action, it's great!

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the version I already owned (an older one from the 10th anniversary) had more interesting extra features. Better documentary, more behind the scenes content, etc. If you can't find that version, or aren't interested in the special features at all, then this is just fine.

Also recommend reading the book as well.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 21, 2006
This is probably my favorite movie. I love movies in general but this one I find to be entertaining on so many levels it is hard to describe. I have watched it innumberable times and yet I still laugh and cry. The story by William Goldman is just wonferful. Peter Falk as the doddering story telling grandfather and Fred Savage as the sick grandson could not have been better suited for their roles. Rob Reiner does an incredible job of casting and directing. The cast make what is a wonferful story come to life. They are their characters. Truly Elwes is remarkably like Erol Flynn in his prime in this movie. Wright is so beautiful and excellent in her part she is a princess. Patinkin, Andre the Giant, are masterful as the kidnappers and rescuers. Shawn is inconceivably good as a witty Sicilian villain. This DVD is incredibly sharp with excellent sound. It contains several extras including a documentary "As You Wish" and commentary by Reiner.

I have heard many people talk about a remake. Here is a thought, don't make a remake. Far to often a remake can not possibly equal the original. I don't think I am alone in this thought. The original will live probably for long after we are gone as has the "Wizard of Oz" did. I would suggest to you instead of a remake, a sequel. I personally would call it "As You Wish". It would take place many years after "The Princess Bride" and the child of Wesley and Buttercup, played by Elwes and Wright is kidnapped. The child could be played by Dakota Fanning. They enlist the aid of Montoya played by Patinkin, the retired Dread Pirate Roberts, and the new Dread Pirate Roberts played by Johnny Depp. To hear the rest my story you would have to buy it. ;)
on January 28, 2013
This review is for the blu-ray transfer only, and not the film itself. This version of The Princess Bride is an upgrade over the DVD version. The details are sharper throughout, especially in outdoor scenes. You can see individual strands of hair, blades of grass and the craftsmanship of the clothing. The colors are generally strong, although there are a few scenes, particularly later in the movie, where they become muted. The movie has noticeable film grain, especially in the indoor shots. Sometimes this stands out--almost to a point of distraction--but then other times it recedes and you do not even notice it. The sound seemed fine. If you are considering an upgrade, I think it is worth it, although my recommendation is not as sanguine as it would have been had the studio given us a better transfer.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 27, 2013
I hate to call things "classic" because the phrase is overused but Princess Bride qualifies. As old as it is, it's not dated and it remains one of the greatest gentle comedic romance fantasies ever made. The entire cast is marvelous, the script is charming and cracks along nicely, the visuals are sometimes great, sometimes good enough. For those who've only read the book, it's been cropped heavily and some of the framing story has been changed but nothing really affects the overall success of the movie. It appeals to several generations too: watch it with grandma.
on August 24, 2015
Of course the movie is awesome. My review addresses the streaming from Amazon. I've never had such a perfect, clear picture from other streaming sources as I get from Amazon. This was the HD version, and well worth the extra dollar! Beautiful, crisp picture. Perfectly consistent stream, with no pauses or buffering. An excellent experience. Thanks Amazon!