Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Camila Cabello All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on December 3, 2015
I've grown up watching the movie roughly 396 times a year and will always deem it as my all-time most favorite movie ever. So naturally, when I found out that the movie was actually based on a novel, I had to have it. My biggest fear was that it would be a watered down version of the movie with less humor and wit, or that the movie took the best parts and the book would be mostly unsatisfying filler with the occasional recognizable humor. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I daresay the book has even more humor and more wit than the film adaptation. William Goldman's story telling is pure genius, writing from a satirical 1st person perspective of how he created an abridged version of an old non-fictional book from a fictional country written by a fictional author. As you read through the "abridged version" you will frequently stumble across familiar lines you've come to love from the film ("INCONCEIVABLE!") but with slight variations in certain parts (ex. a more detailed story of how Wesley and Buttercup fall in love on the farm), and often times even more brilliant substance added to classic scenes you already love (Prince Humperdink's Zoo of Death).

You also gain a better understanding of the film and why certain scenes play out the way that they do, such as why Inigo drunkenly yells out to Vizzini that he's going "back to the beginning" and the backstories to both Inigo and Fezzik beginning from childhood.

After reading the book you'll have a newfound appreciation for the movie which you'll see is a fantastic adaptation, and you'll have a fantastic time wrapped around Goldman's hilarious finger as he guides you through a truly wonderful story that feels exactly like the timeless classic we've enjoyed watching for years.

If you've never seen the movies, you'll like the book. If you've seen the movie a million times like I have, you'll LOVE the book. It's truly a must have for every Princess Bride fan. You won't be disappointed.
11 comment| 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2016
Buy this book people. This is the most beautiful thing to come to my doorstep in a long time.. and that's passing over the snow white kitten that came to my door in red boots. This book will make your darkest days full of hope and belief in true love and miracles.
on August 29, 2015
I had seen Princess Bride many years ago and enjoyed it. This summer I read the book As You Wish and realized that I did not remember as much of the movie as I though I did. Tried to obtain the DVD from the library but no luck. Amazon had the DVD for a reasonable price so I bought it. Watched it and enjoyed it just as I had many years ago.
on February 24, 2015
A favorite of ours when we were in high school and beyond. And a new family favorite for our next generation! Was a fantastic Valentine's Day family movie. Plan to make it an annual tradition.

Whether you like fairy tales, wholesome humor, imminently quotable movie lines, or tales with Old Hollywood style charm and adventure, sweet romance and swordfights - you will enjoy this simple film.
on May 16, 2016
What's not 2love? I have yet 2meet a guy who doesn't love this movie! My son is doing a paper comparing differences between book & movie. He loves the extra features. Definitely a movie that will be watched over & over throughout the years.
on April 4, 2016
One of my favorite movies. I rented it for a stay-inside date night for my boyfriend and I. I just made him into a fan.
A timeless classic filled with action, romance, suspense, duels, betrayals, and ROUS's!
Want to watch something classic with action and humor? You found the right movie and in no time you'll find yourself quoting this movie to family, friends, and coworkers.
on June 1, 2017
What do I say? This is a CLASSIC!! It's quotable and enjoyable for the entire family. I watched it again this afternoon, and laughed at some of the scenes and lines that I had forgotten (although there were many scenes too memorable to forget). Buy this film. You will not regret it.
on June 1, 2013
There are so many classic lines originating from this film, you really must watch it if you have never seen it - or watch it again if it has been a while since you last enjoyed it. The cast is spectacular - with some of the so-called supporting characters eclipsing the stars! Billy Crystal and Carol Kane join Wallace Shawn, Andre The Giant, Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patankin, Chris Sarandon and more in a hugely fun romp! Great entertainment for all ages. Believe me - even if you think it INCONCEIVABLE!!!! :-)
on December 9, 2013
THE PRINCESS BRIDE by William Goldman

The book Princess Bride by William Goldman has been a best seller in stores around the country for over 35 years. Published in 1987, this story has combined many popular elements of fiction such as comedy, romance, and adventure. The Princess Bride is an ideal family movie, exhibiting qualities favorable to all age groups. This book is a highly recommended read for anyone that is interested in an exciting storyline with elements of love, revenge, violence, and humor.

This intriguing story sets itself apart from other popular pieces of literature, developing its plot as a “story within a story”. The book starts out with a sick little boy who receives a visit from his grandfather, bringing with him his own copy of ‘The Princess Bride’ to read to his grandson. The book quickly shifts into the narrated portion of the book read by the grandfather telling the story of the life of Buttercup.

Buttercup is a beautiful young woman who has grown up on a large farm with the same farm boy named Westley her whole life. Rather than calling him by his real name, she refers to him as “farm boy”. With every demand she gives him, he replies positively with “as you wish” and completes the task with no complaints. One day Buttercup comes to realize she loves Westley, and as their relationship grows they both realize they want to get married. But Westley being just a poor farm boy, he does not have nearly enough money to pursue a marriage, so he leaves the farm to “find his fortune”. Westley is soon attacked by pirates and is supposedly killed. Buttercup is heartbroken and vows to “never love again”. She then sadly agrees to marry King Humperdinck, a man she has no love whatsoever in her heart for. Before Buttercup and the King’s actual marriage she is kidnapped by a trio of thieves and is held against her will, being used to start a war...all as a part of her fiancé’s evil plan. Buttercup becomes fond of two of the thieves, Inigo Montoya and Fezzik, who eventually help her along her journey. Whether these characters are scheming for revenge, searching for a long lost love, or helping out their fellow companions, the Princess Bride keeps every moment upbeat and exciting for the reader.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman receives a four out of five star rating and is a highly recommended read.
on July 25, 2012
This book is perfection.

I imagine every writer who ever lived wishes they could get inside a story, and bring characters to life the way that William Goldman does in this book. I know I do.

I had to force myself to put it down and "get some work" done. I find myself dreaming about his characters and wondering about their lives.

I laughed, I cried, I worried, I rejoiced.

This is a treasure of a book. Although I have only written a few fiction stories, this book is moving me to the thought that perhaps one day I will be able to come slightly close to what is found in this book.

Here is one of my little Perception Parables about love .. Love's Silent Sweet Secret: An Adult Fable About Love (Perception Parables)