Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,810 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,835 reviews
on March 26, 2016
This movie is a classic that I've been watching since I was a kid. Dang, that must mean I'm old, um, or a classic in my own right! Anyway, midlife crisis aside (lol) I love this movie. It is heart warming and cheesy. There are so many memorable lines. Want proof?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

As you wish.

There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.

I'm not a witch, I'm your wife. But after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that any more.

It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

You're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen.

INCONCEIVABLE!

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam. And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva.

This is a wonderful family movie with some slightly scary elements. It's a funny, witty story about true love and fits into several different movie categories; Adventure | Comedy | Family | Fantasy | Romance.

Now for some warnings: There's a fair bit of action-oriented violence, including a torture machine, sword fights, quicksand, fire pits, a death by poisoning, rodents of unusual size, and giant shrieking eels that attack the characters. There's also drinking, some kissing, as well as a bit of language ("son of a bitch," "Jesus!" as an exclamation) and, as I mentioned above, a reference to a character's "perfect breasts."

The tone and humor of this movie lessens the impact of the above mentioned items but, as always, it's best to watch it yourself to determine if you think it's appropriate for your family.
on October 21, 2011
This is a terrific movie that has so many different editions of the DVD and now Blu-Ray discs that it gets very confusing as to what is in each version.

A search of the internet shows several reviews that describe the differences between the DVD versions. Basically the "Dread Pirate Roberts" edition and the "20th Anniversery" edition have different special features not in the other edition.

As of this writing, there are three versions of the Blu-ray - the Blu-ray only edition, and the Blu-ray + DVD edition in either a Blu-Ray or the old style DVD case.

What makes it confusing is that Amazon and other sellers of this Blu-Ray only edition list this movie as a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, implying that it might be a different movie cut, while the other two Blu-ray editions are listed as 1.85:1 aspect ratio. No doubt this, together with the fact that the Blu-Ray + DVD edition has almost the same price, has hampered sales of this Blu-Ray only edition.

Well, I went ahead and got the Blu-Ray only edition, mainly because I thought that there might be a chance that the 1.33:1 ratio was because some older movies were filmed on 35mm film which has a natural 1.33:1 aspect ratio, and then were cropped top and bottom to a 1.85:1 ratio to give them a widescreen look. On the other hand, the very first DVD edition released for Princess Bride notoriously had a horrible pan-and-scan cropped to fullscreen 1.33:1 aspect ratio that showed less of the movie than the widescreen version, which is not what you want to see in a Blu-ray. I was hoping for the other possibility that the listed 1.33:1 for this Blu-ray edition meant that cropping had been removed from the widescreen version to show MORE of the movie as it was originally filmed.

However, on playing this Blu-ray, it was immediately obvious that this Blu-Ray only edition is the same 1.85:1 aspect ratio as the other Blu-Ray editions. So all those listed descriptions of this Blu-Ray as a 1.33:1 aspect ratio are just flat out wrong.

What are the other goodies on this Blu-Ray? The Special Features include:

Love is Like a Storybook
Miraculous Makeup
Original Theatrical Trailer
Princess Bride: The Untold Tales

So, this Blu-Ray contains essentially all the special features of the "Dread Pirate Roberts" edition and the "20th Anniversary Edition" except for the DVD games and the booklet. The special features are in their original DVD or lower quality video resolution, although it seems that some of the excerpts from the movie itself have been re-edited to use the higher Blu-Ray resolution.

The Blu-Ray quality is excellent, except for being a bit grainy in some parts - tweaking the sharpness or edge enhancement helps, if you have this feature on your Blu-Ray player.

Finally, a few words about the movie - it is an absolutely wonderful classic - a warm, romantic, and humorous mythology, one of those perfect family movies that could be shown every year just like "A Christmas Story". It was known to be the late Andre the Giant's happiest experience in life, playing the role of Fezzik; he regularly watched the movie afterwards.

It belongs on the list of my favorite films of all time.
2222 comments| 538 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2015
I've grown up watching the movie roughly 396 times a year and will always deem it as my all-time most favorite movie ever. So naturally, when I found out that the movie was actually based on a novel, I had to have it. My biggest fear was that it would be a watered down version of the movie with less humor and wit, or that the movie took the best parts and the book would be mostly unsatisfying filler with the occasional recognizable humor. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I daresay the book has even more humor and more wit than the film adaptation. William Goldman's story telling is pure genius, writing from a satirical 1st person perspective of how he created an abridged version of an old non-fictional book from a fictional country written by a fictional author. As you read through the "abridged version" you will frequently stumble across familiar lines you've come to love from the film ("INCONCEIVABLE!") but with slight variations in certain parts (ex. a more detailed story of how Wesley and Buttercup fall in love on the farm), and often times even more brilliant substance added to classic scenes you already love (Prince Humperdink's Zoo of Death).

You also gain a better understanding of the film and why certain scenes play out the way that they do, such as why Inigo drunkenly yells out to Vizzini that he's going "back to the beginning" and the backstories to both Inigo and Fezzik beginning from childhood.

After reading the book you'll have a newfound appreciation for the movie which you'll see is a fantastic adaptation, and you'll have a fantastic time wrapped around Goldman's hilarious finger as he guides you through a truly wonderful story that feels exactly like the timeless classic we've enjoyed watching for years.

If you've never seen the movies, you'll like the book. If you've seen the movie a million times like I have, you'll LOVE the book. It's truly a must have for every Princess Bride fan. You won't be disappointed.
Haven't seen this movie yet? Inconceivable! What, were you unemployed in Greenland? Or maybe mostly dead?

Seriously, this has to be one of the greatest 'lines movies' ever, by which I mean you will be quoting (indeed, spouting) lines from this movie for the rest of your life, once you watch it. Finally, you will understand why your friends say things like:

- You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
- Have fun storing the castle.
- Rest well and dream of large women.
- Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line

...and, of course, the classic:

- Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!

Seriously, if you are reading this review trying to decide whether or not to watch this movie, see it... JUST SEE IT!
on February 14, 2015
I'll forgo my usual stupidly long review because everything I can possibly say about this gem of a movie has already been said by others. Instead, I'll relate a personal experience I had recently with my ten year old daughter. She wanted to watch a movie with me recently, as she was visiting for a few days for Thanksgiving. I asked her if she wanted to watch one of my favorite movies, one which I thought she would really enjoy. She asked "What is it?" and I replied that it was one of the funniest, best acted movies ever made. It also is one giant quote generator, as it has some of the best lines ever penned into a movie. So we watched The Princess Bride. Now, my daughter is one to ask questions through the movie, just to make sure she is getting everything that is going on, but after ten minutes, she ceased asking anything at all, and by the time the movie was over, she had thoroughly enjoyed it. And for the rest of the weekend, random PB quotes came to her quick tongue, particularly during our chess games. (She thought she had me in checkmate with a brazen move that left me stunned... especially when the words "Checkmate... Drop Your Sword." came out of her mouth. When I realized what she had done and that I did in fact have one move, I took her Queen with my King, to the sound of "Inconceivable!") She asked if I had a copy of the movie on DVD that she could borrow, but alas, I didn't. When I returned the girl to her mom, I told her that our daughter had watched and enjoyed the Best Movie Ever Made. When she said "The Princess Bride", I asked how she knew, to which she smirked and replied "I was MARRIED to you at one point, remember?" She did have a point... Anyway, my daughter got a Princess Bride DVD for Christmas, courtesy of My Own Bad Self. Her mom said she'd already watched it three times by New Years. I had to wipe away a tear, just because the girl makes me proud.
on February 16, 2013
Years ago, I was asked one of those silly questions that readers ask each other: “If you could be any literary character, who would you be?” Without hesitation, I replied, “Princess Buttercup.” After all, what woman in her right mind wouldn’t crave a life of true love and high adventure?

I have no recollection of when I first read William Goldman’s beloved novel, but I can tell you that in the decades since, I’ve read the book and seen the film at least a dozen times. It is very high on my list of all-time favorites. I never grow tired of it. I can pick this book up and start reading on any page and get sucked in immediately. And as soon as I’ve finished it, I could easily start reading from page one all over again. It is a case of true love.

Now, you have to have been living under a rock for the past few decades not to have an idea of what this tale is about. It’s the story of the beautiful milkmaid Buttercup and her love for the dashing farm boy Westley and all they go through in order to be together. Additionally, the novel uses the author’s life as a framing device. In what is purported to be a series of forwards and abridger’s notes, Goldman reflects on his personal history with “S. Morgenstern’s Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure.” He speaks candidly (and entirely fictitiously) of his family life, and perhaps somewhat less fictitiously of his professional life. And he tells the story of how his father first read him the tale when he was ten years old. When he asked if there were any sports in the book, the man replied:

“Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautiful ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.”

I ask you, what more could a reader possibly want?

The one thing Goldman forgot to list is humor. What has made this tale such a classic, in addition to the fact that it contains one of the five greatest kisses of all time, is the novel’s adroit humor. It ranges from sophisticated to glib to farcical, and it never fails to make me smile. Because of the brilliant film adaptation (also written by Goldman), many of the novel’s lines and passages have become cultural touchstones. Have you ever cried, “Inconceivable!” in a Wally Shawn lisp? Mandy Patinkin doesn’t go a day without someone coming up to him and proclaiming, “My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!” Does the phrase “As you wish.” just give you chills? These characters are indelible, and Mr. Goldman’s humor has held up for 40 years. I believe people still be chuckling over this novel a hundred years from now. Shakespeare, Jane Austen, P.G. Wodehouse—some humor is simply timeless.

Clearly, I love a feel-good story, but most suffer from diminishing returns. Maybe it was awesome the first time you read it, pretty good the second, and less so on successive reads. Not so, The Princess Bride. If anything, I think my considerable affection for this novel grows with each successive reading. And I’m still spotting new things! On this read, for the first time, I spotted the fake blurbs at the front of the Kindle edition. (One was from “Shog Bongiorno, professor emeritus, Mid-European Literature, Columbia University,” LOL.)

Twenty-fifth and thirtieth anniversary editions of The Princess Bride have contained new forwards that continue the story that Goldman uses as the novel’s framing device. And after the novel’s end, there is a lengthy introduction to a substantial sample of the novel’s fictitious sequel, Buttercup’s Baby. I’ve read it all except for Buttercup’s Baby. I can only read that for the first time once, and I’m just not ready to experience it yet. Besides, maybe one day Mr. Goldman will elbow out Stephen King for the job and will finish the abridgement of the sequel. Hope springs eternal. And isn’t that the nature of true love?
on December 29, 2014
I cannot say enough about this movie. I love it. I was introduced to the movie as a small girl, by my parents, and I am now introducing this tale of high adventure and true love to my own children. The Princess Bride is a charming film about love, adventure, and determination. There are some wonderful elements of a classic fairy tale here, including giants, pirates, princesses, sword fights, magic, monsters, miracles, and lovely characters. Watch it and you will soon find yourself quoting some of its best lines to your loved ones. Enjoy the amazing swordfight, inspired by the all time best classic swordfights of the 30s and 40s swashbuckling films - and choreographed by the same men who worked on those films and even the Star Wars lightsaber duels. This movie was a labor of love for all involved - and it shows. The movie has recently enjoyed its 25th anniversary, the book it is based on is a lovely work to pick up and read (full of satire, whereas it is more tongue-in-cheek in the film), and the leading man - Cary Elwes - has just published an amazing behind-the-scenes book detailing how this film came to be made, how it bombed at theatres because no one could figure out how to sell it, and how it is now a classic film with a HUGE following. Adults without children, with children, and children themselves will adore this movie. The question isn't whether or not you will enjoy it, but which scene and character will be your favorite! Will it be the vengeful, passionate Spaniard? The evil genius? Diabolical count? The gentle giant, Fezzik? Farm Boy? Buttercup? :-)

I love this movie. I have always loved this movie. :-)
on April 28, 2015
Not only is the Princess Bride a wonderful film, it has held up well after 25 years. The light-hearted romp through Goldman's storytelling has one of the greatest swordfights in film history, a story of true love, pirates, giants, adventures, the fire swamp, revenge, and villains of great character. Rob Reiner took Goldman's favorite book and made it into one of my favorite movies. Could watch this over and over again. The best of the DVD extra tracks are the interviews with cast and Reiner 25 years later to tell tales about the making of the movie. Great stories about traveling to locations all over Britain, the gentleness and large capacity of Andre the Giant, sparks between newcomers Cary Ewles and Robin Wright, and how Cary and Mandy Patinkin learning swordfighting to an extreme level. The minor characters (Billy Crystal for great laughs) and wonderful villains really make this movie. I had a DVD of this and the quality was terrible. Get the Blu-Ray 25th Anniversary Edition - it's worth every penny for a wonderful classic.
on August 27, 2015
Amazon: All right. Where is the rental review? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you write it and I get all the free publicity.
Reviewer: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of company who would put allow a movie rental to be viewed in any way they want? Now, a clever company would allow such behavior, because the company would know that only a great fool would rent what they were offered. The reviewer is not a great fool, so he can clearly not review the movie asked of the company. But the company must have known the reviewer was not a great fool, the company would have counted on it, so the reviewer can clearly not review the rental the company requested.
Amazon: You've made your review then?
Reviewer: Not remotely. Because Amazon does business in Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not review the movie you requested.
Amazon: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Reviewer: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?
Amazon: Australia.
Reviewer: Yes, Australia. And Amazon must have suspected I would have known the company’s business practices, so I can clearly not review the movie requested.
Amazon: You're just stalling now.
Reviewer: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've taken my money, which means you have money, so you could’ve reviewed the movie by remunerated adverts, trusting on your money to save you, so I can clearly not review the money requested. But, you've also emailed my account, which means you must have data mined, and in data mining you must have learned that man hates commercial email, so you shouldn’t have requested a review of the rental, so I can clearly not review the movie requested.
Amazon: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Reviewer: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THIS REQUEST IS GOING!
Amazon: Then make your review.
Reviewer: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?
Amazon: [Reviewer gestures up and away from the request. Amazon looks. Reviewer sneaks in this review]
Amazon: What? Where? I don't see any review..
Reviewer: Well, I- I could have sworn I made a good argument. No matter. First, let me review.
Amazon, Reviewer: [Reviewer and the Amazon trade insults reference small animals]
Amazon: You reviewed wrong.
Reviewer: You only think I reviewed wrong! That's what's so funny! I reviewed when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a reviewer when money is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Reviewer: [Reviewer stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls headfirst into his review]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was a simple review you wanted.
Amazon: Everyone reviews. I spent the last few years building up a database of reliable reviewers.
on June 11, 2015
If you've watched the movie, you HAVE to read the book. I was up all night (like an idiot) trying to find the unabridged version, wondering where florin was located, trying to find Buttercup's Baby and half-hating Stephen King for what he did! Only to realize that William Goldman is the biggest prankster of all time. (I tell you this for your own good so you don't feel as dumb as I did).

This book is so fantastic, you should already know that, though. One thing I love the most (because I grew up on the movie adaptation) is that the casting for the film was SO on point (and I mean probably the best cast for a film ever) that you couldn't not read the lines in the same way they were said. It was hilarious, of course. I loved that Buttercup was actually dumb in this book. I loved the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby. You're not a fan until you know every single thing about the Princess Bride, and that starts with this book right here!