Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

The Queen of the Big Time: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 28, 2018
Roseto, a small town in Pennsylvania founded by Italian immigrants , is the setting of this novel. Beginning in the early twenties and ending with the early seventies, the story follows an Italian girl and her community through love, heartache, joy, and loss. Anyone who likes reading about family life and the choices we make, and those that are made for us, will enjoy this book. Had a surprise ending.
on August 1, 2007
This is the heart-tugging tale of Nella, a young teen of Italian parentage, who aspires to be a teacher but when her father is injured, she must leave school and work at the local clothing factory to help support her family. Not what she would have chosen, but she makes the best of things, a la Francie Nolan. I cheered at her pluck and grit!
Nella falls for Renato, a handsome, poetic, sophisticated young gentleman of twenty one -- seven years her senior. Shades of Laura and Almanzo. But not quite. Where Laura got to marry Almanzo, all our poor heroine Nella gets from her Renato is a letter explaining that he is an adult, and she is practically a little girl, and it's best if she forget him and seek out friends and company in her own age group. I cried at that part and cheered when Nella found love again, of a more accessible sort, with the handsome and polite Francesco Zollerano, and both Nella and the reader come to grips with the fact that Renato was a temporary acquaintance, while Francesco was her Heart's True Hero -- and there's an element of surprise at the pathway Renato chose for his life, which was the main cause of their parting.
This is a story to make you laugh, cry, and cheer, and if I could give it 10 stars, I would. BRAVO! Recommended for all humans, but especially the female ones, from teens to seniors, for like the works of Betty Smith and Laura Wilder, this is a tale that transcends age brackets and age labels and can appeal to any number of people. I repeat, BRAVO!!!!!
on May 7, 2017
It is easy to become engrossed in this book and the characters, and as usual the author does an outstanding job of showing their strengths and weaknesses, and how they evolve over time. It has a bittersweet ending, though, which I didn't expect, and which seemed a bit abbreviated compared to the rest of the book. Nonetheless, another great read from Adriana Trigiani.
on June 25, 2016
A good stand alone read. A story that spans several decades. One of the author's older books that I really enjoyed. It contained some very strong and well developed characters like you expect from this author. If you have liked other books by this author, this will be a nice addition to your summer reading list and something you may have missed.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2005
I am not one of those women who reads any book that talks about "love" and swoons for days over how "romantic" it was. I find those thinly-written pulp-romance books tiring in their lack of an original plot. That is why i LOVE Adriana Trigiani! Her novels have just the PERFECT amount of romance, and an even more perfect amount of reality. Her books are gloriously engaging, full of richness and familiarity. They have far more depth than the "romantic" fluff that most of today's books aimed at woman contain.

I have loved each of her books more than the last. Her writing just keep getting better and better, and I am so excited to what she comes out with next. In my opinion, Queen of the Big Time is her best novel yet. I grew so attached to the characters, and cried my eyes out, and loved them so much, that i was torn between finishing the book as fast as i could, or savoring every page to stretch out my time with the Castellucas & Zollanos.

Perfect. Just perfect.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 11, 2018
Enjoyable and certainly a pleasant read particularly for someone like me who is Italian American.That said, this is not Adriana Trigiani’s best work.
on January 16, 2018
Every book I've read by this brilliant author has been wonderful. When I see a book by her I immediately purchase it and I've yet to ever be disappointed. This book is another winner, so moving and he writing makes you feel like you are there and part of the family. I recommend this book to anyone who loves family and life..
Bravo!
on November 21, 2012
This was the first Adriani Trigiani book that I read and I thought it was excellent. It covers several decades and shows what life was like for Italian immigrants starting at the turn of the century. The next one that I read was the more recent THE SHOEMAKER'S WIFE which I VERY HIGHLY recommend although it is a bit lengthy which is a plus for me. I am struggling a little getting into Big Stone Gap since it seems so different so far but will muster ahead a little further in it since it was recommended to me also.
on June 24, 2015
This story was if special interest to me as the town was a replica of their hometown in Bari, Italy, which is where my father was born. I grew up in a small town with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins close by. So I could identify with these characters who helped out in a crisis, made room for their parents to live next door, and babysat for each other's children. A fictional story that mirrors facts.
on March 1, 2017
A fantastic Author and a wonderful story! i so enjoyed this book and couldn't put the book down! I turned this book into The Dennison Library in Newton, NJ so others will have the opportunity to enjoy this "Read" as much as I did.