Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on August 19, 2012
As someone who makes a portion of his living as a personal trainer, I understand that marketing can be an important piece in the puzzle. Unfortunately, a lot of trainers, myself included, aren't always comfortable in the role of "salesman". Adding further to this issue, is the fact that most Social Media Marketing books all read the same: Saturate the feeds, use SEO (good or bad), etc. It is all so impersonal. In fact, I am fairly certain that you have seen these tactics at work if you have any friends in your network that are into MLM. Admit it, you have at least a few people on your Facebook "friends" list that you have blocked (or even removed) due to an incessant stream of blatantly transparent marketing.

Goodman's book is like the proverbial "breath of fresh air". The essence of Goodman's text can be summed up in one sentence: Just be yourself. Everyone has a blog, everyone has a site, and everyone has something to sell...what are you doing that makes you different?

Goodman believes that the most important tool is the Facebook Feed, as there is no better way to get referrals and sales than using the network you already have established. The only problem is making sure that you are doing it right, in order that you don't completely alienate everyone.

The key, as outlined in this book, is to get people to share and "like" your posts and content, vice having them label you as a spammer. Tips are offered that can be used "out of the box", or adapted to fit your own personal preferences and brand, but this isn't just a typical plug-and-play guide, as Goodman stresses the need to think for oneself and create your own techniques based off of his suggestions. He gives you excellent tips on certain items you might be wasting your time on (i.e. print ads) and things you might need to be developing more (hint: your blog).

Aside from Facebook, he gives helpful tips on how to get your content shared more, and the answer does NOT lie in engaging the current industry leaders. The section that discuss "not being a carpenter ant", and "being opportunistic", was worth the price of the book alone, as his recommendations as to who you REALLY should be paying attention to were unexpected.

It is a quick read, but is obviously meant to be read more than once, as there is an awful lot of great information here. Seriously, it would be impossible for me to list everything Goodman mentions. There is a lot to think about within the pages of this book, and it is best read with a notebook at your side so you can write down specific action items and reminders.

I have read many marketing books in my quest to take my training business to the next level. Goodman's book did not disappoint and gave me much more to think about than the typical cookie-cutter Social Media Marketing books that are currently available. Highly recommended!
on August 30, 2012
By far the best book about taking advantage of the social technology we are given today. It's a quick read that can be done in one sitting, which Jon even states to do in the book. Each topic has good examples, but like every great coach, Jon doesn't give the exact answers, because it is our duty to cognitively breakdown each topic into a way that works for us. Before I even write an article or post something onto facebook/twitter, I always reference back to the book to make sure it's performed efficiently. Jon Goodman definitely needs to be listened to, because he has done the research, the hours of studying countless posts of what is "liked, shared, and commented" upon. If you want people to follow and read your posts, or even buy your product, than YOU MUST READ HIS BOOK!!! Don't get left behind, you might be the next great strength coach everyone has been searching for. So get noticed
on August 12, 2012
I've often found the problem with books in the fitness industry, is that they're several hundred pages long, but stuffed with filler and crap, like an expensive supplement full of "proprietary" blend.

Refreshing for me was the clear and concise nature of Race to the Top. Yes it makes the book shorter, but it gets to the point without all the fluff in between. Makes for a much easier and pleasurable reading experience.

The content itself gave me a greater understanding of how social media is used, works and has given me a whole new thought process to promote my business, and the word I would like to get across. I've read the book 3 times now, and have made countless notes on paper for me to put into action.

Great read, really enjoyed it. Will see you at the top!

DC
on August 16, 2012
I've watched Jon Goodman grow the Personal Trainer Development Center over the past year or so and have been astonished at how big it's gotten in such a short amount of time. So I was excited when I learned he was releasing this book. I bought it thinking I'd get a nugget or two. Wrong! It is literally jammed packed full of great information that he puts into an easily readable format with tons of actionable nuggets that I look forward to using to grow my own online presence.

I've read a lot of books on how to grow your business through social media (What Jon calls "The Feed") none of them compare to this little book. It has me excited again and believing that I can and will succeed. I highly suggest for anyone who has something to say or sell on the internet.
on May 14, 2013
Great advice on the psychology of social media. It helps you understand how to take advantage of social media for fun or for business. It's unlike other social media books I've read because it explains it in terms of concepts you can take forward no matter how social media evolves. It's just human nature to want to share.

Definitely worth the price and the read. Even if you don't plan on using social media for business. I found it interesting even to self-reflect on my own sharing patterns.
on September 10, 2012
As many of the other reviewers did, I blitzed through this book in one sitting. Having read Jon's last book Ignite The FIre, I figured this book would be equally as good. John connected with me over a year ago and I noticed he quickly rose up in social media. This book answered many of my questions to do with getting more exposure on the feed. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to become the expert in the field of fitness or is looking to increase their audience in order to get their information spread.
on September 12, 2012
Just like 'Ignite the Fire' Jon gives you all the tools you need to be successful. And once again the book is principal based and can be applied in any field what so ever. Reading this is like reading a map in what was once completely uncharted lands. It'll still take work to get through but now you know the path.

It also helps that it can be read in a very short time, great for re-reads and is quite enjoyable.
on April 20, 2013
Don't be deceived by how short the book is. Jon Goodman explains his concepts on why things are shared and how you can use them to your advantage.

For the price, it's a wealth of information that is practical to almost everyone. No fancy SEO stuff here, just steps and things you can do to help spread your word and make them stick!
on November 13, 2014
Good overview of psychology of online marketing specifically for fitness. I liked that the general ideas had specific actionable steps shown as examples that are easy to adapt to any business strategy.
on September 15, 2012
Even though this book is tailored towards fitness pros it can be used for any professional trying to get into social media. As an ecommerce business owner as well as physician, I learned a heck of a lot that will help develop my business in the social media world. I will likely read it a few more times.