BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Kidz Bop PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on November 16, 2015
Start with Farber's The Radical Leap and then move on to The Radical Edge. Some of the same beloved characters reappear and you will not want to miss out on falling in love with them in their first appearances! As always, many valuable lessons learned from another dynamic, well-thought, self-reflective book from Steve Farber!
Farber's style and the mix of characters were, for me, incongruent with the important message of the book. There is not doubt that Farber has some key points to make. His message is very important. However the book is fiction and the characters are a little too unreal. For some reason, the story just did not seem real. In my opinion, the lessons would have been better presented in a straightforward manner.

The best line in the book was, "If you live in this world without ever attempting to change it, you will have sold a ruby for the price of Spam."

While I did not like the style or the means of presenting the concepts or the ideas, I totally agree with his philosophy. We all need to do whatever we can to change the world.
on April 13, 2006
As a fan of Steve Farber's first book "The Radical Leap," I was so excited to get my hands on "The Radical Edge ..." and I was not disappointed. Where "The Radical Leap" introduced me to Love, Energy, Audacity, and Proof for my own and my clients' leadership, "The Radical Edge" has given me ideas for literally changing the world. In the book we meet compelling new characters and revisit some old friends, who offer fresh perspectives about all aspects of life.

The end of the book also presents a template for setting up my own customized "Wake-Up Pad" to create my own radical edge.

Changing the world is the responsibility of Extreme Leaders ... and I'm especially inspired by Steve's admonishment in this book to "never-never, ever try to do it alone."

With that said, I'm hoping to create a both an actual and a virtual community similar to the one described in the book as "a network of extraordinary people who get together ... to encourage, inspire, and cajole each other to keep on keepin' on .... to change the world ... to expand the rightness of things ... to help each other to help each other."

Make sure you allow yourself some uninterrupted time to read through the entire book - and then make the time to create your own WUP ... and build your own SKATE! team. Don't wait - get this book NOW!!!
on January 9, 2014
I loved the book. It tells the story but does it in a way that teaches principals of leadership. Great way of teaching people on how to improve and grow.
on April 27, 2006
One of the most boring books I read this year. Maybe I'm too much a, get to the point" type of reader. I don't really enjoy, "what I had for breakfast" writing.
on August 9, 2014
I just completed The Radical Edge by Steve Farber (the Farbinator), tonight.

The Radical LEAP!
It was a good follow up to LEAP, where I got into Steve Farber and fell in love with his message(s) on leadership. A great assignment for Mr. Cashman about 8 years ago. I read through the book in one weekend, took a bunch of notes, came back to the book/notes a few times while in college, then the book got a bit dusty and I ignored it for a bit. I skimmed through LEAP and the lessons were just as relevant as 8 years before.

The Customer is never Just the Customer
A statement that I forgot, but re-realized. The customer, rather what ever the customer/audience is in your life, can never never ever be just a customer. They are your life blood. Whether it was in my political life and the customer=voters, as a student where the customer=students, or now where my customer=students (again); just as amazingly relevant.

Something lost, something found
Now my attempt at a summary which is not really possible (unless I am done reading forever or dying). Both of these book were able to re-energize me in life and trying to be a "leader". Learning every day. Something I may have lost over the past few years, that vigor is back again.

Listen.
Love.
Learn.
Believe.
Hope.
Try.
Do good.
on February 23, 2014
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "If you assume that you can learn from anyone—if you assume that you must learn from everyone—then everyone becomes a great teacher for you. Even if someone's a slime-sucking scumbag of a leech they qualify for greatness if you can learn something from them."

2- "Scan—just like you were a computer scanner. Your scanner just copies; it doesn't comment, it doesn't offer an opinion, it doesn't tell you you're stupid for time on that photo of the girl you met while v all were dancin' on the bar at Jimmy Love's. Just scan your environment and record what you see. Scan the bestseller lists and notice what people are reading; scan the magazine racks and pick up publications that don't interest you—like, I dunno, The Tattoo Review or Graffiti Today, scan the weekly TV-show rankings; scan the headlines of the daily paper in 20 different cities; scan the room that you're sitting in; scan the crowd as you're toolin' down the street during your lunch break. Then, every so often, write down what you're seeing in your WUP. Write down your observations of subcultures that are entirely alien to you and trends in the tastes of the popular culture. Capture little idea-snapshots of natural, political, and social phenomena. Scan, scan, scan. Look at everything going on around you and write your observations in the pad...After collecting your observations for a while you stop, read it over, and give it some reflection. What are the implications of this? What can I earn from that? Why are so many people doing X, and what might that mean for all of us?...Talk About it...With everyone...Or everyone that matters, anyway. Talk about your observations and ideas with your team, for example. 'Here's what- I'm noticin'. What are you seeing?' That kind of thing. Just kick it around and see where the discussion takes you—see what happens over time."

3- "When inspiration strikes, when a new bona fide really great idea presents itself...You have to do it; that's number six. That's when the talking comes to a screeching halt and audacious action takes over. Kelleher and King went from idea to Southwest's first route map on the back of that napkin. In other words. my man, I am expecting you to stick your neck out and try something new in your business. Got it?"

4- "This is how you stoke the fires of your success, Cam: by doing what you love in the service of people you love, who in turn, love what you do for them...I may not have the capacity to love everyone, but I certainly do have the capacity to act as though I do and to run my business accordingly. And if I and my team can really do that, then no other business in my market space can come close to the experience that we give our customers."

5- "So, instead, she treats every customer encounter as an exercise in fascination."

6- ""Your business, your personal life, and your effect on the world," she said. "When you're hitting on those three cylinders simultaneously, you've achieved The Radical Edge and life takes on an entirely new level of meaning."

7- "If you really want to stoke your business till it burns so bright that everyone will take notice, there are two things you must be with complete abandon...One: be deeply fascinated by the life of every person—customer, employee, colleague—your business touches; and two: be deeply grateful for who they are and what they do...It all starts with the heart, Cam. If you develop a sincere love for people, you'll automatically be fascinated with and grateful for them. If you're fascinated with them, you'll discover how to add value to their lives; and if you're genuinely grateful for their patronage, partnership, or friendship you'll show them in ways that are sincere and meaningful. Those are the essential elements of a fabulously productive business relationship—or any relationship, for that matter."

8- "That old saving, 'it's not personal; it's business' is just plain false. Business is personal, personal, personal," she tapped three times on the linoleum table top for emphasis. "And," she twinkled, "is there anything in the human experience more personal than love?"...I regarded that a rhetorical question. Love is your leverage," Agnes said. "And if you're observant, if you stay fascinated and grateful, love will hand you your competitive advantage on a solid gold platter.""

9- "We don't consider ourselves to be naive or idealistical though others certainly may. We are pragmatists of the highest order: we believe there is nothing more eminently practical than looking at the world, asking 'how can this be better?' and then holding ourselves personally accountable for getting it done."

10- "There are four change the-world guidelines that we've agreed on so far, but we're always open to more, and I'm sure we're missing more than a few things. Let me spell them out for you...The first is to define what you mean by 'world,' and get clear on how you want that world to be different from the current reality. 'World' doesn't have to mean the very fabric of human existence, although it certainly could be. It could be the world of your customers, neighborhood, industry—or the world of one person, for that matter. You define it for yourself...Second guideline is...act as though our every action has a direct impact on the world. In other words, you should perform every deed as if it will either improve the world or damage it...Third...Don't judge yourself based on the outcome of your efforts...Meaning you cannot ultimately control the end results. You do everything you can, you do your homework and your research, and you enlist the people you need to get the job done-whatever it is...What's the last one?...Never-never, ever—try to do it alone."

11- "But it's not about finding your frequency by ruling out everything else on the contrary, it's about finding the frequency that includes all those other important values and ideals. The very act of trying to wrap it all together is what's really important, because to do that you have to get very clear on what you mean by each value and principle. You have to define, think through, and understand each to its core, and evaluate your life against each one. The clearer you get, the closer you get to the frequency that pulsates through your life and characterizes who you really are."
on August 27, 2007
This weekend I picked up Steve Farber's The Radical Edge.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of this book. I'm finding that I enjoy the Leadership Parable format a lot more than the principle driven books. Steve Farber, Pat Lencioni, Ken Blanchard are all writing in this same vane and it's very enjoyable. As the reader I am found myself very engaged with the characters and with the drama that surrounds their lives.

I found that this book really focuses on the person more than the organization the person works in. I think that is an important principle because as a leader if you don't know who you are then you are just going to vacillate in your leadership, following the whims and fancies of the day. But if you really know who you are and what you want to do and where you want to do it, you will succeed.

This book has a lot of simple principles that I think are helpful and easy to initiate. The principle of the WUP (Wake-Up Pad) is great and something that I have been trying to do. Basically record what's going on around you. I'm not very good at it, but this blog and the journal that I've been using have helped.

I'm considering reading it again just to really cement the concepts in my brain. But I would highly recommend this book to anyone trying to be a better leader.
on May 6, 2006
Steve Farber has done it again! Lest year I recommended his first business fable - The Radical Leap, and as much as I liked that, I believe I like this one better. Farber weaves another nice story around his key ideas for Stoking your Business, Amping your life, and Changing the world.

One of the reasons that this book resonates with me is that the techniques he teaches are great for us as humans trying to reach our potential, as well as being valuable to us as leaders. In other words you don't have to be a leader to love and benefit from this book!

If you've read The Radical Leap, he expands on some of the characters and references that story in this new one, but you certainly won't be in the dark in any way by reading this one first. This book will give you specific things you can do to improve your business results, generate new ideas and give you a true Edge.

At the same time the time will fly by as you read the well written story covering a short 160 pages.
on April 18, 2006
First, Steve Farber's excellent leadership book "Radical Edge" reads like a great novel with twists, turns, real human beings, and purpose. There's an uncompromising integrity in this book, that being true leadership that is all from the heart.

I was pleasantly surprised at the depth, care and authenticity he shows with respect to helping people learn what leadership is really all about - in this book it's all about the people, the mission, purpose and making a difference.

A few quotes that impressed me are: "...Amp your life...you'll have to first know who, exactly you really are."

"Act as though your every action has a direct impact on the world. In other words, you should perform every deed as if it will either improve the world or damage it."

"Personal - even radical - accountability is when you do what it takes to change the world regardless of what anyone else is or isn't doing."

Towards the back of the book, there's a great chapter called "Getting Your Radical Edge" that gives excellent tips, questions you can ask yourself to help YOU become more aware of your greatest qualities and how you can make a significant difference - one you'd be thrilled to make!
Additionally, there's excellent business, leadership and personal advice.

This is truly a wonderful book that can be read in a day, and the wisdom will certainly serve you well for a lifetime. I HIGHLY recommend RADICAL EDGE to anyone interested in greater leadership. It's truly all from the inside out. Steve Farber shows you how with humor, generosity of spirit, humbleness, and a delightful read from cover to cover.

His exemplary approach is nothing short of a great service to our world!

Barbara Rose, Ph.D., author of Know Yourself, Stop Being the String Along, and If God Hears Me, I Want an Answer!