BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Rape of Europa
Format: DVD|Change

on April 17, 2017
The Rape of Europa is a superb documentary. One of the lesser known tragedies of Adolph Hitler's rampage through Europe between 1939-1945 was the theft or destruction of so much of the art that belonged to the countries occupied by the Third Reich. Uncounted thousands of pieces of art were stolen from private and public collections or were simply destroyed by the Germans simply because they had the power to do so at that time. The surviving film, photographs and stories of the efforts of the art custodians in cultural centers like Paris and Saint Petersburg are nothing short of amazing.

One of the better known examples of private art that was stolen and lost for decades was the subject of the excellent 2015 movie "Woman in Gold." That is just one example.
on August 15, 2017
Previously I had a source which streamed it to me; I was very pleased with that. After some time, it vanished from those I received by streaming. In its place I was offered a version which was at a given cost for each season; it hadn't been in "seasons" before. At that point I decided to purchase the DVD. After watching the DVD, I realized that at least one of the scenes which I had previously seen was cut from the DVD. I am not particularly happy about that, but I do not intend to purchase the version now available by the season. Otherwise I am pleased with the product.
on October 16, 2017
I love this documentary, and wanted to have a copy in my library to loan to friends. Unfortunately, this copy (which was supposed to be new) showed up scratched. Having seen the documentary before, I didn't watch the entire thing as soon as it arrived, I just watched a few scenes to be sure it worked and wasn't a bootleg copy. When I finally sat down to watch the entire thing, the DVD froze less than halfway through and would not continue.

Very disappointed with the quality, especially for a DVD fulfilled by Amazon.
on March 11, 2017
We rented this movie and were once again reminded of the horror of the Nazi's. This documentary was the impetus behind George Clooney's movie "Monuments Men". We've recommended this film to family and friends so decided to buy it for ourselves and to share.
on March 6, 2014
We all need to be reminded of the terrors of war and of the courage of people under attack. The images of the citizens of Paris removing almost all of the art from the Louvre just before Hitler's army marched into that beautiful city will both warm and break your heart. If you have never seen Paris, if you have never visited the Louvre and gazed in wonder at the Mona Lisa, the magnificent Winged Victory of Samothrace or the thousands of pieces of art which rest within that wonderful museum, if you have never ascended to the top of the Eiffel Tower and gazed at the City of Paris laid out before you, then this incredible documentary, a work of art within itself, will make you feel as though you have walked the streets, lived its history, been a citizen of France and Europe, at least for a while. This film is a remarkable achievement, both in scope, its lessons of courage in the face of real danger, of how man sometimes reacts to save himself and those he loves, to save our history and the art which we love, all of which are such vital parts of our lives and our heritage. There are few films more worthy of praise than this.
on December 23, 2015
Gives very detailed but concise summary of the problem of Nazi looting and the complex situation and enormous task the Allies faced trying to rectify it.

If you see no other movie about this often overlooked part of WW2, I would recommend it be this one. And if you see it before you see the docudrama "The Monuments Men," then that movie will make more sense and seem a good movie (which it is). It will just make more sense if you see this first.
on July 28, 2013
This book demonstrates every level of the catastrophe of war - in this case, WWII. Looting on the grandest of scales and the idea that the roadmap of this world could be completely changed because of the demented idea of a group of men that managed to take over Germany and change the course of history. I show the documentary to my art history students and they are stunned. I watch it over and over again and I am stunned. I guess I can never get over what depths of terrible humanity can fall to.
My Grandfather was a drafted attorney during WWII and spent time escorting German POWs and doing various forms of "paperwork". He went into Paris at the end of the war.The devastation of every layer of that city shocked him. It was too much. He could go back to England, but never to France.
on August 12, 2014
excellent documentary showing the horrible acquisition of art by the Nazis as they goose stepped across Europe. Much of the art confiscated was eventually damaged or destroyed as the fate of the 3rd Reich became clear. Many of the artworks owned by Jewish families and held by countries conquered by the Nazis are lost to the world and those losses are tragic. The group of American G.I.s who was tasked with trying to find the art and restore it to the rightful owners were true heroes. Another surprising hero was a woman in Paris who made careful notes of all the works the Nazis stole from the Louvre and Paris. Her documentation done in secret helped many of the masterpieces return to their rightful owners.
on February 8, 2017
I absolutely love this documentary. Words fail me at describing how important I think this documentary is and how pertinent I think it is for art history and history in general. A lot of what I learned, I never knew in all my years of history classes. I have shown it to friends and loved one and will continue to think upon it as I get older. I would recommend this to everyone.
on February 3, 2011
The Rape of Europa is an excellent film for those exploring the exploitation of European art by the Germans in WWII. I had traveled to some of the locations in Florence and was surprised to find out that much of the artwork, including Ghiberti's bronze doors on the Florence Cathedral, had been shipped out during the war.

Particularly compelling is the story of struggle by Maria Altmann, a beautiful and elegant 90-year-old, whose aunt was Adele Bloch. The Bloch family commissioned Klimt to paint the portrait, yet it, along with several other Klimt paintings, was stolen from her family home by the Nazis in 1938. The painting was hanging in the Austrian National Gallery for years, as the Austrians consider it their "Mona Lisa." Through sheer will and determination, and a bit of luck, Altmann finally obtained ownership of her aunt's portrait and the other pieces.

If you are an art and history lover, this film is for you, taking you from the Hermitage in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) to all over Italy. It is a gem like the pieces of work it chronicles.