Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on January 5, 2014
Edward Gorey delivers again, with his timeless wit, and utterly deadpan sense of humor. On this most delicate of subjects, one cannot help but find a terrible glee. This book is not safe for work. It is not safe for children. It is not safe on your bookshelf. Hide it somewhere nobody will ever find it, and enjoy reading it privately to yourself, under the covers with a flashlight so nobody will ever know you do so, lest they judge you.

Seriously, a short book, as many of his works are, Edward Gorey once again delivers. Book was in perfect condition, and filled with horribly understated images and utterly flat prose. A perfect work of art.
on February 13, 2014
I should've looked at how many pages there were beforehand, honestly I thought the book was going to be longer or even with 48 pages, more words in it, but I admit I'm new to Edward Gorey's work so I did not know his style of writing. I read fast so I finished the book very quickly, like 25-30 minutes, looking at the pictures which were very tasteful and well illustrated.
As for the stories, despite the slightly inappropriate title, it is really just plain witty the situations that Mr. Gorey comes up with. Any random awkward situation that could pop up at any time in anyone's life. Deflowered by a Marimba Player? Gorey's got the answer. Deflowered by a Chinese Detective? Deflowered and Thrust Aside (Like an Old Glove)? This whole book just makes you chuckle, I really enjoyed it, just wish it were longer! If you buy it used, then sure it is worth the few bucks :-)
on February 2, 2010
A charming instructional on the value of diplomacy in the face of eminent disaster. Or maybe better, post-deflowerment oneupmanship. Positively Victorian, 'The Recently Deflowered Girl' maintains, above all else, that ones dignity must remain intact, and salvaging ones integrity - when more is lost than just face, is what we live for.
And it is thusly that Gorey's plaintive yet tender pen & ink portrayals of the moment of consequence, preceeding either disaster or recovery, best serves. Mel Juffe's advice can be worth memorizing too, as his wise words may come in handy when one feels all is about to be lost, that being deflowered of dignity can be best salvaged not by incredulity, but by a swift, delicate, yet diplomatic, reframing of the moment. A refreshing little volume, and rewarding collaboration.

-- G. Emil, [...]
on March 14, 2017
I love Gorey and this book is hilarious.
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2013
I bought this as a Christmas present for my future daughter-in-law, LOL! But I couldn't help sneaking a quick peek first! The "situations" are hysterical; for example, getting stuck in an elevator and "losing it" to the elevator operator -- what do you say to him the next time you take the elevator? If you want to know, you'll have to get the book! It's pretty darned funny!!
on February 15, 2017
Impossible not to love Gorey's writing and illustrations. This book is a little funnier than usual, probably because for most of us deflowering is a quaint concept from the past. Handled with writer's usual humor and sensitivity.
on March 26, 2013
I would recommend this for any Gorey fan, especially those who enjoy his books on more risque subject matter. It's not vulgar; just funny and suggestive, and not to be taken too seriously. The reason I enjoy this book the most (besides Gorey's illustrations) is the fact that a quarter of the pairings involve Asian men - something not easy to find sometimes in older literature. It's refreshing.
on March 15, 2013
I didn't even know this book existed! It made a perfect last minute Christmas present for my grandma who introduced me to the illustrator.
on February 21, 2013
If you are, (as I am) an Edward Gorey fan, this book is right up your alley. It does not disappoint.

If you are unfamiliar with Gorey, I would start by reading "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" and "The Doubtful Guest" before this one.
on January 15, 2013
we have a good collection of Edw Gorey so I was looking for something new. this did not measure up to the great original work.