Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on March 16, 2016
As a recorder method book, I would argue that it falls a little flat in comparison to others one might find on the market (like the Trapp Family Singers book). As a literature supplement for the beginning-intermediate recorder student, however, one would be hard-pressed to find a book with a breadth of musical excerpts contained herein.

Where this book really shines is in its abundance of 2-part and 3-part adaptations of tunes. It can be terribly tricky to find music that is both didactically suitable AND aurally pleasing. This book amply supplies that need.

Summary: There are better tutorials in other books, but the excerpts and arrangements contained in this one make it well worth having in your library. A solid purchase.
on November 10, 2015
I bought this book to start learning alto. I am already advanced beginner/early intermediate soprano recorder player. This book suits my needs very well. I like switching between alto and soprano fingering. That's what we do all the time at our local recorder meetings. I also like duets. I record myself playing soprano and play alto with the recording.
I would recommend this book for an adult beginner.
on January 11, 2017
I'm really enjoying this book. I am an adult with good musical knowledge, trying to get beyond beginner level in an instrument for the first time. I find the progression of pieces very good for building up to more complicated rhythms and more complicated keys (on the recorder certain keys and ranges are inherently more difficult to play than others, as they involve more changes of fingers). I am learning on both alto and soprano recorder (having casual experience with the soprano since childhood, but only recently acquired the alto), and this book provides parts for both instruments. It would be a lot more fun if I had a partner at my own speed to practice with. Many of the songs are pretty to play on their own, but the main strength of this book are the duets, and I'm dying to play them as duets. My kids are not yet up to this level, but I have picked out a few of the early exercises they can practice with me.
on February 28, 2014
I bought this book as a song supplement for teaching myself recorder. It contains a nice collection of traditional European folk music, almost all of which is arranged as duets for Soprano and Alto recorder. You can use this book to learn either soprano or alto - it teaches the fingering for both at the same time. As a person learning on my own I did not find the book that helpful, because playing only one part of the duet just does not sound very satisfying. The book is really only useful if you've got a teacher or co-learner to play the duets with.
on July 20, 2014
In my mind this is the go-to source for teaching soprano and alto recorder side by side. It includes a really great foundation of music theory and then builds incrementally with notes one at a time, including diagrams as well as written music. It is written with a mature audience in mind.

Few of the selected songs are universally familiar. This forces the student to really push himself or herself to learn to READ music rather than merely figure out the nose "by heart." Because the "latter" is how I've often "read" music, this has been a welcome learning curve for me.

The plastic comb spine makes it very easy to use. (When I got mine (used) someone had replaced the comb with one that was too small; this was a very quick fix and my copy is like new now.) Apparently some copies do not have the records; mine does.

I heartily recommend this book for students of all but the youngest of ages.
on November 23, 2016
As a complete beginner trying to learn the alto recorder on my own, I find this book to be disappointing because almost all the pieces are written for soprano-alto duets with melody played by the soprano and the accompaniment by the alto. The book is, however, good for learning the notes.
If you like the old school approach that emphasizes the age and heritage of the recorder, this book is perfect, with older-looking illustrations from medieval, renaissance, and baroque times, and lots of melodies (more than 100) to play as solos or duets. It is full of how to get started instructions for beginners, and then a very good piece of wisdom, which is to take it slow until you master what you are attempting (before moving too quickly on.) This is the piece of advice also offered by the classic "how to play the piano" series of Thompson books, that I wish had been inscribed on my father's forehead -- he was (disastrously) both my piano and clarinet teacher when I was little!
on September 3, 2015
I love this book. I learned to play the recorder using this book decades ago. I still play songs from it. It's great even is you don't plan to play duets with soprano & alto. It works for either. I just bought a new copy for a friend. It looks basically like the original and the printing is just fine.
on November 16, 2014
I love this beginner book, as do my teacher and other recorder playing friends. It introduces both the soprano and alto recorder at the same time, and very early on players can begin to play duets. It has simple, concise, introductory technique instructions, which do not make up for a teacher, but can certainly make this a good text for beginners with teachers. The music in the book is generally "real" music, delightful tunes, which encourage playing, and those who already know music, will enjoy playing these simple but not overly simplified classics; folk tunes, and simple early music samples. I highly recommend this book! It is a beginning primer and a great place to start before heading into Rooda exercises, and other recorder music.
on November 24, 2015
While it is an excellent book to learn out of, beware the thumb fingering on the alto recorder section for high octave notes is not exactly accurate. The book illustrates using open hole rather than half-hole coverage as standard. Has some very nice songs in it that teach/practice various techniques well. It is still one of the better songbooks on the market.