Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 87 reviews
on January 10, 2016
As a Staten Island native, I'm a big New Yorker fan, but these 'rejection collection' books are all the same. I have 2 and the only differences are the covers and the idiotic Q&A's with the cartoonists. The 2 books I have contain the exact same cartoons; there were only 3 in this book that were not the other. Save your money; you only need to buy one unless you care about what the cartoonists have to say.
on September 26, 2015
I've enjoyed the various editions of the 'Rejection Collection' for years and often give the as gifts. As such, I have ordered many copies over the years and I like to get the hard cover version as gifts. This is hard cover but the quality of the pages is terrible and cheap. It's not the coated high-quality sheets of paper that have been used in other editions. This is thin, rag-like paper that shows the print through on the back of each page. Feels really cheap. I would never give a book like this as a gift. Find another edition.
on April 23, 2017
The other issues are better.
This book is a collection of the best rejected cartoons from the New Yorker magazine. Ho determined what was the best of the worst? The editor of the book, of course. And, having read the book, I must say the editor did a good job at choosing funny, yet irreverent cartoons. I found laughter to be common while reading the book, although I am sure that you will not find every cartoon to be funny. That is the nature of this type of book.

In addition to the cartoons, each section is headed by a questionnaire that was sent to each cartoonist. Those alone are worth the price of the book, as they give you an interesting look into the minds that are creating these types of cartoons.

Printed on high quality paper, and bound nicely, this book is a definite keeper for the library. If you love cartoons, particularly the single box style, you will love this book. Enjoy!
on December 5, 2013
If a book makes me laugh out loud - at least once, then I rate it "I like it" = 4 stars. This book made me laugh out loud - once.
There are some amusing cartoons for sure but for the most part its easy to see why they were rejected. Save your hard earned money for the second edition of The Rejection Collection which appears to have been compiled with more care and thought towards enducing laughter. The 2nd edition made me laugh outloud several times!
on November 11, 2015
One of my all-time most disappointing purchases. True, I found two exceptional cartoons, but the rest are just plain terrible. Some are incomprehensible and the rest are strikingly juvenile and really humorless. But I still love the New Yorker!
on August 3, 2015
I wasn't as enamored of this book as I was with some of the other New Yorker cartoon books. This had some crude and obnoxious stuff (though it does warn you..."cream of the crap"). Just wasn't as funny as the others
on June 5, 2016
A funny and great book! Sent to my 80 yr old mom for Mother's Day. She liked it but she can handle dark humor. This was the second copy that I have purchased.
on June 7, 2012
I loved both volumes 1 and 2 and gave copies as gifts to several people.

My personal favorite is a Christopher Weyant cartoon of a seagull telling a small boy sitting on a beach, "Hand over the sandwich or I'll crap on your parents." I think the seagull would have had a better offer with "If you give me the sandwich, I'll crap on your dad," that might just be the emotional dynamic in my family.
on January 10, 2014
We received one of these at a Christmas party where we exchange gifts. It got passed around the room and every now and then someone would start laughing hysterically and have to show off one of the cartoons. As a result, we bought a copy as a gift to another person and got the same reaction--funny!