Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 16, 2017
I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora & Red Seas, but I was just slightly disappointed in Republic. I wouldn't say it was predictable but it did feel slightly inevitable, which is, coincidentally, a reference in the book. I still think Lynch's writing is on par with Jim Butcher's, which I think most would say is a high compliment. His world-building continues to be interesting, as is his character-building. I enjoy how he structures and paces his books. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the first two, as well as anyone who likes the Riyria Chronicles or similar swashbuckling fare.
on September 29, 2014
"The Republic of Thieves (The Gentleman Bastards Sequence: Book III)" by Scott Lynch is my least favorite of the three stories. Having said that I must also add I loved this trilogy overall. Book III is a bit tedious because of the repetitive "play rehearsal scripting" which put me off. It seemed like it was added as a storyline filler. But the wonderful characterizations', exquisite settings, and incredible cast of characters makes this a must read for fans of the fantasy/adventure genre so I highly recommend it. 3.5 stars!!!!
on January 26, 2015
Too many characters playing too many roles makes this story a bit hard to track at times (this was better handled in the first book). Also, the build-up for Loche's red-haired lost love doesn't really pay off. Sabetha unnecessarily complicates issues and just came off as selfish. There's no real evidence of her love. She's just in the story to be chased no matter how childish or terrible she acts, which seems contrary to how clever she is in other regards. And Jean is two-dimensional in this installment, which is somewhat understandable given he has a less prominent role, but still disappointing. And, I think the real problem is that this reads less like a complete story by itself versus the first two books. This story sets up the next one and is ultimately unsatisfying.

All that aside, Lynch's world is well thought and feels solid even with the fantastic elements. The characters are all unique with their own motivations, personalities, quirks, skills, and weaknesses. There's enough detail to make things real without bogging down the story. And the story itself is a good one, even if it's not on par with the prior books. I still look forward to the next one!
on October 27, 2014
Sporting two mildly unsatisfying plots awkwardly wed together and a massive, flopping cliffhanger of a final chapter, the excellent character work doesn't bring Thieves up to the standards of its predecessors. Worth a read if you simply must have more Locke Lamora, otherwise, just go reread Lies.
on May 16, 2015
I very much enjoyed the previous books, as well as parts of this one, but there were also many moments when I found this one tiresome. Once or twice I considered abandoning it. There were scenes that really confused me, too, and I don't enjoy having to reread to try to understand.
on November 24, 2013
I have loved the Gentleman Bastards series since it's inception, however I felt this book left something to be wanting. I loved the character of Sabetha and getting to see her more and understand the back-story was well worth it, however the overall narrative suffered because of it. Overall the plot was lost to the random interactions between the three major characters and the ending was rather predictable which was disappointing considering the fun twists at the ends of the other two books in the series. I'll still read the next one when it comes out no doubt, but I was disappointed.
on September 12, 2017
There are so many intriguing questions left hanging at the end of this volume. I won't know if I actually like this book until I know what will happen to all of the threads Lynch is braiding. I think I like this book, but it's left so unfinished, that I cannot be sure. I am definitely looking forward to the next edition. My appetite is whet!
on July 25, 2016
I am a big fan of the first two books in the series. This book lets down by having too much dialog and not enough action. In addition, the interludes (flashbacks) aren't as interesting as the ones in the earlier books.
on October 29, 2013
(Review of MP3 CD set, 2 CDs, 128b, Michael Page narrator, chapterized parts, 41 parts total, 23 hours 44 minutes, 1.27g)

I made the mistake of reading one review of this book (on another site). The review was full of spoilers, but like a car crash, I couldn't help looking.

Most of the spoilers I didn't remember much about except the one dealing with Locke's poisoning. What I do remember about the review is that the reader thought the book dragged in parts towards the middle.

Maybe the reader should have listened to the audio book instead, because Michael Page brings the story to life. He is one of the most amazing narrators I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. I kept waiting to get to the 'boring' part - but it never came.

There are some books that are better 'read' as an audio book, and I think this series, narrated by Michael Page, is one of those (the other being Anansi Boys, read by Lenny Henry). If they could give Academy Awards for audio book narration, Michael Page would certainly deserve one.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this MP3 set, along with it being reasonably priced.
on January 2, 2016
One of the worse I have ever read could not get through it. The characters are not engaging the story is just boring.
Would love to give this a zero.