Salon Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 21, 2017
The Resilience Factor was recommended to me in an ABA lecture titled "Career Advice Series: Lawyer Resilience and Grit: How to Thrive as a Lawyer" by Dr. Larry RIchard because so many lawyers are not equipped psychologically to survive legal practice and often burn out. The Resilience factor gives you a set of techniques to handle difficult situations in both the short term and in the long term. The techniques require work but will provide relief. Like all things...you have to do the work. There are a number of worksheets that assist doing these techniques both in the book and online so there is really no excuses.

The Resilience Factor gives you a set of about seven techniques. Most of the techniques come from Cognitive Behaviour Theraphy (CBT) and are a concise summary of those techniques. These techniques should be taught in school to high stress professions like law, law enforcement, and are critical for your survival on the job.
3 people found this helpful
on December 27, 2017
I purchased this book as an optional read for a class. I am on page 75 and it's been the roughest 75 pages I've ever read. It is extremely overwritten, painfully repetitive, and flat out boring. I have literally fallen asleep more than once while reading it. I have yet to learn a single thing from it, other than little spurts of life stories about subjects in case studies. Not to mention the word "resilience" has been used no less than 10000 times, I'm sure. As this is optional for my class I may skim the remainder, but can not force myself to read it carefully.
2 people found this helpful
****
This book was an exploration, via cognitive behavioral therapy, of resilience, and gives the reader seven skills to master to increase their own resilience. The two authors, who are also resilience researchers, call these skills: emotion regulation, impulse control, empathy, causal analysis, self-efficacy, and reaching out. These seven skills can be measured (and the book includes self-tests), learned (through practicing concepts discussed in the book) and continually improved.

Although this book was enormously helpful to me, it does cover only the aspect of resilience that responds to CBT, and thus is somewhat narrow in scope. It doesn't explore spiritual aspects of resilience, or other approaches, just cognitive behavioral therapy. However, it does this quite well. In addition, the writing style was academic, so I felt as though I was reading a text, and it was a bit of work to get through it rather than fun. Note that in this paperback version the text is small; I struggled especially with the text size in the inset boxes. Still, with those limitations, it covered the topic well and will be very useful to me.

Recommended.
****
40 people found this helpful
on August 11, 2017
Enjoyed reading this book. Lots of nuggets of wisdom and will keep referring to it for a long time.
on March 1, 2018
Great just what i needed.
on July 28, 2012
I loved how these 2 experienced authors are able to describe how to help make your thoughts become resilient. I've read similar books on the topic, but I prefer this one better because of how simple the authors make the process, plus they give clear examples, which always helps. I'll admit, I skipped the 1st section of the book, so I could get right to the meat of the book-- my husband was bored by the first part and stopped reading, so if you find yourself bored at first, jump to the second section where it gets good.
5 people found this helpful
on June 6, 2018
This books has helped me identify why I was feeling the way I felt in my life. It made my life more manageable, and full of hope. I highly recommend it.
on September 7, 2015
This book does an adequate job of covering the topic. However it raises questions about how to achieve resilience.
on March 10, 2007
Here you will learn (among other things) the ABC method of raising your optimism (closely aligned with resiliency) which has the potential of curing what many people call "depression". This book is so important, that I selected it from among hundreds to use in a teleclass I am teaching to other coaches in the Professional Coaches Association of Michigan about Positive Psychology and Strengths-Based Organizations.

The book discusses the Resilience Factor index, a free online assessment that assesses your resilience along several factors. A very worthwhile book, to study as well as to simply read.
25 people found this helpful