Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on March 21, 2017
The Resilience Factor was recommended to me in an ABA lecture titled "Career Advice Series: Lawyer Resilience and Grit: How to Thrive as a Lawyer" by Dr. Larry RIchard because so many lawyers are not equipped psychologically to survive legal practice and often burn out. The Resilience factor gives you a set of techniques to handle difficult situations in both the short term and in the long term. The techniques require work but will provide relief. Like all things...you have to do the work. There are a number of worksheets that assist doing these techniques both in the book and online so there is really no excuses.

The Resilience Factor gives you a set of about seven techniques. Most of the techniques come from Cognitive Behaviour Theraphy (CBT) and are a concise summary of those techniques. These techniques should be taught in school to high stress professions like law, law enforcement, and are critical for your survival on the job.
on January 19, 2017
wow, the clear messages and so true. We need to be reminded that we don't all think alike and with some onsite like this books gives, we could all learn from other points of view without judgement but understanding instead. Great read.
on July 28, 2012
I loved how these 2 experienced authors are able to describe how to help make your thoughts become resilient. I've read similar books on the topic, but I prefer this one better because of how simple the authors make the process, plus they give clear examples, which always helps. I'll admit, I skipped the 1st section of the book, so I could get right to the meat of the book-- my husband was bored by the first part and stopped reading, so if you find yourself bored at first, jump to the second section where it gets good.
on June 27, 2015
Changed my life. The best book I have read in a long time. It actually gives you tools to use to better your resilience, it does not only tell you about it, which I really appreciate. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on July 2, 2016
Not for baby boomers - while it does a good job explaining some aspects of CBT it leaves a lot out considering there are at least 18 faulty ways of automatic thinking which cause much suffering for average people. Also the insertion of personal vignettes in the text distracts from the main factors being discussed in each chapter...better if they were grouped at the end of the chapters after explaining the factors IMO...finally the applications among young adults are mostly irrelevant to major issues in aging so they did not help me at my age of 83 develop more resilience at this time of life...sorry, but I am out.
on March 10, 2007
Here you will learn (among other things) the ABC method of raising your optimism (closely aligned with resiliency) which has the potential of curing what many people call "depression". This book is so important, that I selected it from among hundreds to use in a teleclass I am teaching to other coaches in the Professional Coaches Association of Michigan about Positive Psychology and Strengths-Based Organizations.

The book discusses the Resilience Factor index, a free online assessment that assesses your resilience along several factors. A very worthwhile book, to study as well as to simply read.
on February 9, 2009
I was anxious to read this book knowing that Reivich has worked with Seligman and being impressed by his books; and feeling the topic was an important one. I began reading with a highlighter in hand, but eventually put it away as 70 pages into the book I hadn't highlighted a single thing.

I trudged on and am glad to report that eventually the book does share some good information about the topic and how to achieve it in your life. I did have to force myself to finish the book, much like reading a college textbook to get an assignment complete. It just wasn't as good of a read for me as say Seligman's books were. Something about the way it was written seemed a bit stuffy and wordy to me.

I would recommend the book but will say they could have edited a great deal out of it and had the same results for me. Maybe the material I found uneccessary is there for those who have no previous knowledge of psychology or self-help. I'd give it a B-, but if this is a topic you are interested in you will get some good information from it.
on January 4, 2017
As advertised
on September 7, 2015
This book does an adequate job of covering the topic. However it raises questions about how to achieve resilience.
on January 23, 2016
Nice technical review of how to be more resilient when faced with adversity.