Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Amazon Vehicles Celebrity Picks 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Sting Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on August 14, 2010
The low review is given only to this Kindle edition because the story 'The Adventure of the Dancing Men' is missing some critical graphics that are necessary to follow the plot. Beyond the missing graphic, the stories themselves are very enjoyable.
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2012
I've read the various Sherlock Holmes stories in a number of different formats including Baring-Gould's two volume annotated version. This one for the Kindle works quite well with one exception that I'll get to in a moment. The linked table of contents is a blessing if you intend to read stories out of order. The only real weakness is that there are no graphics reproduced in this version. Since this one contains the story "The Dancing Men" it is a serious fault, but it's not the only story where images that are really needed to follow the story are replaced by the word "GRAPHIC". I realize that reproducing images is not the strong suit of the Kindle, and in most cases is detracts only slightly from story, but it is hard to understand Holmes's process in deciphering the code if you can't actually see his process. I guess this one case where print has a clear advantage over electronic reproduction on the Kindle.
on December 28, 2015
Great, like all Arthur Conan Doyle's stories about his invented "Consulting Detective", Sherlock Holmes. Buy it, and all the other stories, too, if you want a real treat. Not a bad story in the bunch.
on February 5, 2014
Sure...Sherlock Holmes is a bit 'dated' compared to modern detective dramas: Fewer explosions, not too many twist/turns/back-stabbing to try to figure out, etc...but some of these stories are still classic. And I think Holmes' own sense of justice in some of these stories would make the average "liberal" cringe. He often asks as detective, judge and jury in some of these stories.

Love the fact that this and other collections are available for FREE on Kindle as well.
on August 5, 2014
Have been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since I was a teenager. This book lived up to my expectations, and being a compilation of short stories, it was great reading when I only had a short amount of time. I would highly recommend this book to all readers who enjoy a good mystery.
on May 14, 2012
I appreciate that classic works are available for free on the Kindle. I have read all the Sherlock Holmes books up to "Return," and many other classics besides. And I understand that they don't always include a table of contents, and accented or nonstandard English characters don't display correctly. But when I got to "The Adventure of the Dancing Man" and couldn't see the dancing men, I had to write this review, because seeing that graphic in particular is essential to the enjoyment of the story. Who is this group of volunteers tha digitize these books anyway? I would volunteer for them and put the graphics into this book. I wouldn't even need a scanner becaue the graphics are already on Wikipedia.
on September 18, 2012
The "Return of Sherlock Holmes" was excellent! If you are a "fan" of these stories you won't be disappointed. What I liked best about the book is the fact that there are several stories contained in one book. Its not like reading a novel where you have to put it down sometimes. Each story has its own end. The stories seem to be the right length so you can finish one in a rather short amount of time. Then you can move on to the next one. Also, the strategies that Sherlock Holmes uses in solving the crimes is fun because there's no technology like we have today, computers and phones. Most enjoyable!
on March 18, 2012
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
I have read many of the Sherlock Holmes books over the years. As a matter of fact they are my absolute favorite mystery books. It is a whole different experience to read it using my Kindle Touch. I find it much easier to follow by reading it one page at a time on my Kindle. There is nothing to divide my attention such as a new book that is still stiff and sometimes closes or turns pages when I read on my Kindle. I also like the fact that I can adjust the size of the fonts to fit my eyes.
on January 24, 2012
I decided to re-read all the original Sherlock Holmes stories as I've got hooked on the second season of the (contemporary) TV series and I felt (judging from the rave reviews I'm reading) that I was missing lots of the smart references to the original.

I read this story years ago, and I'm amazed that I can still enjoy the unravelling of the mystery - a bad memory can be a good thing sometimes. Yes, it's dated (duh!), but in a good way. Definitely a classic read. (But I wish the free editions had better covers to look nice on my cloud reader app and iPad!)
on March 8, 2012
Wow. I've been on a bit of a Sherlock Holmes fix since seeing the second movie and have been burning through all of the works which he is in. The cases in this book are very interesting much to the surprise of Sherlock Holmes himself since Professor Moriarty is dead. I didn't mind the missing graphics but could see why some would. I was more than willing to pay for this book but finding it for free makes it even more of a bargain! Can't wait to finish them all, though unfortunately that means they'll be no more to read.