Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 27, 2015
Marlo Thomas has put together the thoughts and experiences of many well-known and accomplished people. Each person has shared something that is inspiring and that qualifies as a lesson. The two or three page essays are just enough to grab your attention and when you've finished reading you're left with a little nugget to keep in your heart and mind. Very interesting and enlightening. I discovered this book at the library. After reading about 30 pages, I went to Amazon and bought it. I had to have my very own copy of it.
on November 7, 2017
Great collection of words to live by.
on March 13, 2012
This is a beautiful book which I highly recommend to anyone in search of a lift. I found that the tears were rolling down my face while reading many of these stories. There are war stories, 9/11 stories, love stories--stories which will encourage you to be your best self--stories that show us the greatest things about human beings--the power to forgive, the courage to overcome, and stories from prisons which warn us about what not to do. There are triumphs in classrooms, on athletic fields, and battlefields. Stories of dates who became lifelong mates, children whose words of inspiration helped their parents and vice versa.

It's a big book--well worth the money. It takes a while to finish it, and you can save it and read your favorite stories over and over again for inspiration and an eyewash. It's a tearjerker which will leave you with a very positive feeling about humanity.
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2002
I bought this book out of curiousity and found it to be special. Ms. Thomas beautifully illustrates the serendipity of life and its impact on our life's direction. Her collaborators share their stories of events and words that shaped their lives...for some it was a subtle word, for others it was a major event.
As important as these words and events were, they were not as obvious for those transformed until years later when they could look back seeing the fork in the road and the direction the event/word took them. The shared stories come from all walks of life. The book is a good reminder for all on how each of us has the power to impact and transform another's life in a positive way every day.
This is a great gift idea, especially for those who are in transition (between careers or stages of life), or are weathering one of life's storms.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on September 5, 2016
I am a fan of Marlo Thomas and have read several of her books. The articles in this book are short and sweet and full of inspiration using people's own experience.
on March 18, 2015
This book shows how words lifted other people's spirits. Even though the words might not pertain to you, it's interesting reading about how other people wete motivated. You could store these inspirarions for future use. You may even find inspirations that lift you.
on September 6, 2016
It's the second time I made this purchase. My first book was lost in a move. It is a book to keep and gift.
on September 4, 2011
Sometimes someone says just the right words at the right time and makes a difference in your life. This is a great book filled with uplifting real life stories. But I have a vested interest here too. My story, "My Perfect Mess" is included in this collection. And because my story was published here, I reconnected - after 48 years - with the teacher who made such a difference in my life.The Right Words at the Right Time Volume 2: Your Turn!
on March 3, 2016
I really liked the book. Some of the letters brought a tear to my eye, and I am not a soft guy, being a retired New Finest.
VINE VOICEon August 21, 2002
This book is for everyone who has felt discouraged, overwhelmed, embarassed, saddened and confused. The experiences of the contributors in this book are so diverse as our the contributors themselves. They are comprised of actors, CEOs of major companies, movie directors, talk show hosts, musicians, athletes, activists, journalists, artists and politicians. These are some of the stories, people, and words that stood out for me.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani who learned that life is a combination of great tragedy and great beauty from a woman who lost her father, husband, and son all in one year. He learned to celebrate the beauty and the positive things in life. Oprah Winfrey was inspired by the words of a producer who said just be yourself when she felt overwhelmed starting out as a talk show host years ago. Her main compettion was Phil Donahue who was the king of talk shows at the time. The same idea motivated Marlo Thomas when she was started out as an actress. Her legendary father advised her to run her own race. Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO of Amazon.com learned an important lesson by listening to the words of his grandfather. It is much harder to be nice than clever. I thought those words as like so many in this book to be profound. Actress Jennifer Aniston was inspired by a speech written by Marianne Williamson given by Nelson Mandella. The gist of the speech is that we all have a light or gift within us that we all need to share. Journalist Ted Koppel took the words of Roy Rogers to heart when he read that everyone is ignorant just on different subjects. Steven Spielberg was inspired by the words of a Davy Crockett movie The words Be sure you're right, then go ahead gave him the confidence to drop out of college and become a director.

Some of the most interesting insights come from people who are not as famous. Doris Kearns Goodwin, a historian who worked with President Johnson writing his memoir was inspired by the words of psychologist Erik Erikson that the richest lives attain an inner balance comprised of work, play and love. Erikson concluded that we should not sacrifice one need to pursue another. The contribution by Dr. David Ho is interesting to me because of what he does for a living. David Ho is the director of AIDS research and through his efforts with different drugs patients live longer and healthier lives. Patients focus on living and not dying because of him. I enjoyed the wisdom in the story of political advisor Mary Matalin who learned from her father that confidence is what separates successful people from unsuccessful ones. Confidence is created from 3 things being prepared, having experience, and never giving up. This is an idea I will never forget.

There are some cliches in this book, but they are interesting because of the people who were motivated by them achieved great things. Astronaunt Sally Ride was inspired by the words reach for the stars and became the first woman in space. Toni Morrison was motivated by the words anything worth doing is worth doing well. Morrison won the Nobel Prize for her novel Song of Solomon later in life. Designer Ralph Lauren was inspired by the music of Frank Sinatra and the song My Way.

The Right Words at the Right Time is an excellent book filled with pearls of wisdom. This book has wonderful insights about life, work, character and love.
12 helpful votes