Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 77 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 92 reviews
on March 9, 2015
Thomas Paine speaks eloquently and vociferously in defense of the ideals and rights of the citizens of France on the eve of the French Revolution, against the attacks of Burke, an English lecturer who is vehemently denying that any citizens have any legal rights to defy their sovereign. He even goes so far as to boast that the English would never want to defy their beloved monarchs. Burke is fomenting a violent Revolution, (which shows he is a tool of the English financial interests), and Paine is struggling vainly for a peaceful resolution. It is a fascinating study, in that it is very much the same issues and same powers, ideologies, and even the same power structures we are dealing with today. I would urge every American who is confused about what is happening to our nation to read this book; they will finally understand what wiser men have been saying all along: history does not happen: it is orchestrated for the profit and advancement of the wealthy and powerful. It will continue to do so until we are aware of them and their tricks.
on June 30, 2013
The book is a "reply" to Edmund Burke's "attack" on the French Revolution. It is another beautiful example of Thomas Paine's writing skills and eloquence.
I was temped to give it 4* because of the tax section where he, in my opinion, goes into detail to much about the money and where it should go. I understood though at the end when he also explains why the printing of the book was delayed and only appeared after the Mr Pitt's address to the English Parliment
Paine brings down all of Burke's arguments, who believed that monarchy and aristocracy and the best choices when compared to a republic. Paine also dismantles Burke's belief that a hereditary government has a right to dictate it's policy upon future generations.
He goes on to explain that the Rights of Man are something you are born with. No previous generation or government can take those away.
It is beautifully written and argumented
on December 10, 2016
Just right for the times. With the changing political environment in DC and around the country, it is time for AMERICANS to remember WHY this country was founded. DEMOCRACY is very hard to maintain and THOS PAINE makes the case that it must survive.
on March 10, 2017
Having me review it as a fiction, lol. Whatever. The book itself is great and any student of history should get it if possible. Mr. Paine was an intellectual in my eyes that is sadly never spoke about as one of the many founding fathers of our nation.
on September 16, 2016
It wasn't what I thought it would be. The title is somewhat deceiving. I expected him to expound on the Rights of Man in more relevant detail. Considering the period that he talks about, and the fact that it was during his lifetime, I suppose it is accurate and relevant for those times and conditions. I didn't really expect to be spending so much time reading about the French Revolution. I guess I expected him to actually spend most of the book actually telling me about the Rights of Man, as a concept and actuality at that time. If I wanted statistics on the economic circumstances of the times in France and England, or a history lesson of that time, I would have read a history book instead. The book was more about the economic and political evolution of that time in France and England. I just wanted to know about...the Rights of Man.
on October 10, 2016
Is hereditary government a good idea? What do we need to know about monarchy, aristocracy, or democracy? What is a republic and why would we want it? What are The Rights Of Man and where do they come from? Is a Constitution necessary? Is there a Source Of All Sovereignty? These questions are answered. Many other interesting, historical, political, and moral curiosities are given.
on December 9, 2016
One of the seminal works that underpins the governmental basis of our republic. It should be read and reread by every American along with Common Sense and The Age of Reason. It is a situation tragically remiss, that our country does not honor this man with a memorial commensurate with those that honor Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln.
on April 25, 2013
This book is one of the greatest essays on the Rights of Man ever written, however, quite lengthy. Would recommend reading Thomas Paines, Common Sense which is brilliant and will wake up the mind as to what true rights are.
on May 20, 2016
Unfortunately, FedEx decided to deliver it to the wrong address several streets away but the individual who received it dropped it off a couple days later. Book is an excellent basis for the states fending for themselves.
on May 19, 2016
I think everyone should read this book, then they would not be hollering my rights all the time. Any right you have cannot be taken away from you, so called right's the government gives can be taken taken away.