Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 23, 2016
I'm not sure I ever read a book that was as laugh out loud funny and beautifully spiritual at the same time. This book is about much more than Fly Fishing. It is about growing up, it's about discontent leading to a spiritual journey, it's about the beauty and wisdom of nature, it's about the middle way, most of all it's about love. Love for friends, family, nature, God, and that special someone. This amazing book should be read by everyone! It has so much depth and is one of the most unique books I've ever fallen in love with.
on November 1, 2016
This is one of my all time favorite books. It is so funny in spots I had tears running down my face. For anyone who likes fly fishing and simply a fun read, you have to read this. I have lost several copies since I loaned them out and never got them back and everyone who has ever read this book thinks it is a gem and hilarious. It starts out a bit slow perhaps for some, but keep with it and I promise you will not be disappointed.
on October 29, 2017
This book was recommended by friends. At first I did not like it because the author was being a jerk writing long, silly sentences. I counted one sentence at 157 words! But because it was recommended, I hung in there and later in the book, the author really nails it! I had tears in my eyes. So it is worth the read. Recommended.
on January 20, 2017
The first 50 pages will either have you reaching for your rod and tacklebox, or they'll make you want to use the book as bait and never pick up another copy. I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did.

To be brief: It's a fun read. Light-hearted, peppered with moments of philosophical tangents, soul searching, and romance. The book develops the main character well, and does a decent job in developing the supporting characters. The fishing jargon can seem endless at moments, but if you can get past it (or skip it altogether), it's worth one read through.
on August 8, 2017
A dear friend recommend The River Why a few months back, and I decided it would be a good book to occupy my time at jury duty. Well, JD only lasted 4 days, the book and story will last much longer. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to fish, and to those that know nothing about fishing. There is adventure, coming of age, fairy tales, soul searching, fishing, and finally love that all come into play beautifully and well with each other. A true joy to read, and now re-read, becoming a favorite.
on July 14, 2016
I read a lot, and this is one of the best novels that I have ever read. I read it several years ago and let someone borrow my copy. They liked it so much that they kept it, so I had to order a new copy for my library. It begins like a fishing story, but it is so much more. In fact, no one has to know anything about fishing or even enjoy fishing in order to find this story fascinating. The characters are an interesting mix, and I found myself enjoying each of them. The book is funny and conveys an important messages on ecology and life, itself, without being sanctimonious.
on May 4, 2017
A good book on a different perspective on life and the struggles a person must overcome and bear.
on July 13, 2013
I bought this book when it first was printed. It was the first fiction book ever published by the Sierra Club and I bought it partly out of curiosity. Thank you, Sierra Club, for your faith in this author. I have over the years purchased several other copies, to replace copies I passed on to others and as gifts for friends.

I love the protagonist. I love the descriptions of the beautiful country in which the story takes place. Mostly, I liked following the spiritual growth of the protagonist. Each time I read the book, I learn more. And I continue to laugh out loud at some of the super humorous parts, especially when he first discovers the woman who will become his girl and tries to converse with her.

I find it to be a beautiful, uplifting story. I read almost everything on Kindle nowadays, but I this book remains in its paper form on my shelf, and it always will.
on August 17, 2014
A classic, laugh-out-loud tale I give as gifts to my fellow book lovers. For those who have yet to make his acquaintance, David James Duncan is an incredible icon in the ecological writing world and is a deep delight for the excellence he brings to all of his writings. This is a FUN read, a work of fiction which is lighter and funnier than his more thoughtful works. This is a hoot of a read that pretty much anyone would enjoy. Highly recommended.
on December 19, 2016
As I do with most e-books, I ordered the sample before buying the book. The sample was a tall-tale, slapstick fishing story related in exaggerated dialect. I was entertained, but wondered if I really cared to read an entire book of this style. After some thought, I hit "buy this book". I was glad I did.