Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 688 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 755 reviews
on January 29, 2017
This is a suspenseful adventure film. I watched it years ago when it first came out on video. Surprisingly, the only thing that does not stand the test of time is David Strathairn's glasses. If you are looking for a film with beautiful scenery, great acting, and a suspenseful plot, you will probably like it. Now to the soap-box: I have never understood why this is not an iconic film for progressive women, when Thelma and Louise is considered to be. I know serious rafters take issue with the technical aspects of the film, but it's a big-budget movie. No one seemed to have a problem with Thelma and Louise driving a fairly low-riding car over boulders and cacti in the desert so they could reach the cliff and kill themselves in some big, useless statement of free will. At this late date, can we still not have a female hero in a "realistic" adventure feature film?
on September 10, 2014
One of my top 10 of my personal top 250, I have watched this film about 20 times since 1995. What I enjoy most is how the film shows
how children worship what is "cool", as Joseph Mazzello's "Roarke" demonstrates early on in his adoration of Kevin Bacon's character,
and at the same time finds his father (David Strathairn) disappointing, since he is a workaholic and often fails to follow through on events
in his kids lives. But as a result of the rafting trip, he learns that sometimes the less exciting one is really the one who ultimately loves
him and risks his own life to save his family, when the chips are down. One reviewer on IMDB liked the film until Mazzello, at the end
of the film says to the ranger when asked about what his father did says resolutely' "He saved our lives!". Said reviewer thought this was
stupid in relation to the events of the film. In my view, this was the most emotional moment of the film, showing the important lesson he
learned about life from this experience. He went from shaming his father to respect, love, and understanding. Great literature as well as
great films show little cues early that may seem irrelevant, only to be explained or revisited late in the story to be extremely revealing.
Some reviewers look for flaws, which like most films, this may well have. But as an entertainment with tension and emotional power,
this movie is totally satisfying.
on April 24, 2014
This movie started out to be a routine outdoor vacation trip but not far into the family adventure, things start going south for this not real close-knit husband/wife team with a young son along for the ride. Kevin Bacon's character suddenly changes from friendly to demonic as he takes control of the family's rafting trip down the raging white water river. The scenery is awesome. Meryl Streep is superb as the mom who gives new meaning to a protective mother as she tries to do whatever it takes to save her family from certain death at the hands of ruthless killers. If you like fast action adventure thrillers, I think you will enjoy this movie. I don't want to be a spoiler with too many details but I was surprised at the realistic performances on display in this movie.
on June 14, 2016
I have been a fan of Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon for many years. So I expected a great movie. I wasn't disappointed, in fact it went beyond anything I could hope for in a river adventure film. Streep was amazingly vulnerable and courageous, and Bacon was cold and psychologically manipulative. This by far one of the best movies either has done and certainly one of my favorites. I love this type of movie anyway and I saw great directing, outstanding acting by Streep, Bacon, and the rest the cast, amazing locations, incredible camera work, and jaw dropping stunts. I highly recommend this movie. If you enjoyed this be sure to see Deliverance (1972).

CA Luster
on January 31, 2016
review image
on March 29, 2016
I have watched this twice now and it still keeps my interest. Its a good adventure movie with a little drama. It makes white water rafting look like fun... Less the waterfall of course. And it is nice to see the somewhat inactive overworking dad becoming the hero.
on June 5, 2017
Kevin Bacon plays as a criminal and theif is kinda of creepy and disturbing to me. But he is very good job of acting in this movie. This movie is WOW! I really love this movie!
on May 4, 2014
I just now saw this incredible movie. I saw part of it at my mother's house and decided to see the whole thing and it only got better. Edge of my seat constantly. All the actors did a marvelous job at making it believable. Bravo!
on February 4, 2016
I'm failing to see why this carries such a high rating here. It's definitely only so-so. I like Bacon a good deal and Streep is usually pretty good, but this movie wasn't a hit and the majority of online critic reviews will agree.

If you missed it in the 90's, it'll probably do the job to take you back, but the implausibilities and convenient scenarios are blatant and frequent. Not any of these actors' best performances, not even close.

That said, it isn't awful and can be a fun enough little flick to pass the time.
on October 17, 2013
Here is a film with Kevin Bacon, playing the bad guy again, which he's very good at it and the best actress of the century Meryl Streep. Well, she's trying to reconcile her marriage which is not going very well, so she got the gang together to go river rafting near her old parts of the woods, where she once worked as well, but hubby too busy working saying can't make it, but eventually finds the time to come as long as he can continue his job from his laptop. They hear in the news some bank robbery going on and police looking for 3 suspects and of course I think you can almost guess what and who is part of that act and then the film follows with a hostage situation from which Meryl's family tries to get out of and save their lives with the help of her husband whom finally realizes how important family is!. One of Meryl's earlier films but still entertaining.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse