Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

• Customer Reviews

on April 21, 2016
You have to remember that this is a fiction, not the Bible. As a fiction, it carries well the message of the Bible. All the people in the book did not have the Bible and their knowledge of Jesus and His Kingdom were not deep. I thought it was amazing that they believed after just hearing about Jesus and His works from other people. I thought that sure had to be the work of the Holy Spirit. I can see that the first church would have been something like this. The book presents well the era and what living conditions might have been like at that time. A great book, especially if you are a Christian.
on August 30, 2016
First, DO NOT BUY THE KINDLE VERSION. The Kindle version of this book is almost unreadable. It appears that a hard copy was scanned without any review or copy editing. Virtually every page includes one or more spelling or grammatical errors as a result which is quite distracting. The book itself would have benefited from an editor; the voice shifts randomly to second person from time to time and the story line while largely sequential in time has portions that are not linear. The history of the early Christians is interesting but the story is much too long and tortured.
on April 16, 2015
This is my favorite book! I've read it several times in print and this is my first time reading the e-version. Douglas connects so many stories within a man's journey to discover who Jesus was. He reveals a realism and lights up a journey of discovery and faith quite possible for early Christians to walk. I also enjoy Douglas's logical and reasoning mind as he looks at the experiences of Christ from a different perspective.

One critique I have of the e-book: there are so many typos and misprints, to the point of distraction. It makes some passages difficult to read and understand. I hope the publisher fixes this soon. I was expecting better quality for the price of the e-book.
6 people found this helpful
on December 19, 2015
This book is a fantastic point of view that really opens up perspective opportunities on the attitude that people had towards the savior during his time on earth. It is from the point of view of a Roman soldier and you really get a new sense of what life is like from the other side of life back then. It opens up the humanity of people you'd rather hate and lets you see that they had lives just like anyone else and the way that they face challenges are paths and the choices they make, encourage you to think outside the normal paradigm. Extremely well written and an excellent book. Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 22, 2015
I still love this story--- but this kindle book needs serious editing. With so many spelling errors, I find it hard to read.
9 people found this helpful
on January 27, 2014
When I reached chapter 12, I'd already submitted over 170 corrections to the e-Edition. The Robe is an enduring classic which I thankfully had found a paperback copy with corresponding pages to the E-edition. The story itself is again very different from the movie but has wonderful character development. The movie despite Richard Burton and Jean Simmons pales in comparison to this wonderfully written book. On to the kindle edition -- this book was clearly scanned and never edited. There were many common and easily rectified mistakes such as missing quotations marks. However, there were more blatant mistakes that included words that are not in the English language and most commonly the letter "l" in place of an exclamation mark. As I make my way through the e-edition I will continue to submit any errors that I notice in hopes that someone will edit this book. For now, if you are going to purchase it, by a paper copy (also available on Amazon). If I noticed that the errors I've submitted are fixed, I will most definitely edit this review. Until then, the paperback copy of this book is the way to go :)!
4 people found this helpful
on September 26, 2015
I love The Robe. I've read it many times, and I've seen the movie several times as well. The movie doesn't follow the book very faithfully, but it's a reverent and beautiful story in its own right. But this Kindle version is terrible. I've read the book so many times the numerous spelling and punctuation errors don't bother me, but even I have trouble with some parts, following the story. For someone reading the book for the first time, the grammar and punctuation and eccentric spelling and nonsense words are going to be a serious obstacle to understanding the story. A mistake or two is one thing, but there are mistakes on almost every single page, up to and including things like the word "your" instead of the correct word, "tour." I could write several paragraphs outlining all the mistakes, but suffice it to say, if you are not very familiar with this book and very tolerant of grevious errors of spelling and grammar and wrong words on almost every page, you should not get this copy. Buy the hard copy instead.
on December 28, 2015
This was one of the most riveting and meaningful books I have ever read! If you've seen the movie and liked it ... you should LOVE the book. If you've seen the movie and hated it (and thought it fell so short of what the story actually is) ... you should LOVE the book! I hate to give books away, especially since part of my love for this book came in the fact that I had no idea what it was about and was surprised by the story line. I suppose I didn't read any of the back cover and had a book with no picture because I really had no preconceived idea of what the book would be about and it turned out to be the most amazing, engaging story ... of one I have actually known my whole life! It is definitely one of my top five books of all time!
on December 12, 2007
I suppose one must be careful about how one throws out the phrase, "This is the best book I have ever read". Memories can be short and values change. And of course there is always the matter of someone with a vein throbbing in the forehead of their beet red face, pointing a quivering finger at you and screaming, "What about the Bible!?". And then the matter of categorization (I used to own a nuclear physics book that contained incredible and fantastic information. I can't say that I received much pleasure from reading it, but it was an incredible piece). So . . . with all of that qualification, I'll just say that I believe that Lloyd Douglas' "The Robe", is the best work of historical fiction that I have ever read. (I had formerly said that of Herman Wouk's, "War and Remembrance").

The story has a biblical foundation, and regards the tale a Roman soldier present at the crucifixion of Jesus. This particular soldier is the one who engaged in casting lots (a dice game) for the robe of Jesus and won. Lloyd Douglas gave this character a name (Marcellus Gallio)and an incredible fictional life story. Marcellus turns out to be a Roman Tribune, the senior Roman soldier present on scene at the execution site. He is the son of an important Roman senator, and even later finds favor with Emperor Tiberius and is commissioned to investigate, on behalf of the Emperor's curiosity, the new emerging religion of "Christianity".

Marcellus' quest and circumstances are told with exceptional detail. He is surrounded by friends and loved ones that the reader will also grow to know and love (including especially Marcellus' slave, Demetrius).

Although the robe of Jesus indeed is a significant element in the tale, it is brought out sparingly. The robe comes in and out of play, but is not overexposed. In fact, as a master storyteller, Douglas is wisely quite stingy with our actual exposure to the person of Jesus. Except for a wonderful intimate moment of eye contact between Jesus and the slave Demetrius, the reader (and Marcellus) has to pretty much learn of the life of Jesus and see him through the second hand recountings by others (and these recountings are rigidly styled on the New Testament record). The allegory to the matter of "informed faith" is apparent.

I prefer not to go into any more detail of the story. I have written carefully here so as not to spoil this wonderful reading experience for the first timer. I will add that this is a long novel that I read in many, many sittings, both short and long. It NEVER failed to engage, entertain and interest me, even when I only had time for a couple of pages.

I am aware that this book has received some criticism regarding historical accuracy, for example with the line of succession of the Roman Emperors (Gaius never gets the throne in this account). I find those concerns to be insignificant and within the fictional license of this historical piece dealing with a 2000 year old setting. (And factual history has often proven to be a moving target).

For the Christian, this may well strengthen your faith. For the non-Christian, welcome . . . please don't miss this wonderful piece of literature. Either way you will be entertained and rewarded for time spent with this great novel.
4 people found this helpful
on April 14, 2014
I read this book when I was a teenager, and picked it up again last week, expecting it to be a good read, particularly heading into Easter week. I was completely pulled into the book -- read it on the subway, before bed, on the weekend, and finally finished it tonight. It was better than I remembered, and far more inspiring.

Christianity has become such a divisive religion in many ways, as people interpret the Bible and Jesus' sayings in different ways. This book took me into Ancient Rome, and helped me to see the birth of Christianity as something more than a "religion." It let me see Jesus' followers as men and women who struggled, but simply wanted to follow him and to advance his kingdom of peace and love.

It won't be so long before I pick this up again.