Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Role You Were Born to Play
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on November 12, 2013
Let me first start by saying that there is a strong possibility that I could be addicted to this show, or at least the first 3 seasons. I watch them on a regular basis when I'm in need of some happy-go-lucky background noise. However, and as a strong lover of Glee it pains me to admit it, but they should have ended this show at season 3. The ending of Season 3 was climatic, breathtaking, and hit you like a ton of bricks. Season 4 seemed awkward and forced. I have always been in awe of the writing on this show and the chemistry between all of the characters. The issues that they dealt with were, though oftentimes controversial, very real and raw. Season 4 felt like I was watching a completely different show. Perhaps my biggest "issue", if you will, was the advent of all of the new characters. Unique is a strange addition (she made her appearance in Season 3 and I was shocked to find out that she would be a regular in Season 4). Kitty is (to agree with another reviewer) a more unlikeable version of Sue and Santana. Her pithy banter is strange, not borderline dark/funny like in previous seasons. Arty and Tina seem lost. To me, none of the new cast (post season 3) have the type of chemistry and well, acting ability, that the original cast did. It seemed, to me, that the show outgrew itself. I've always pondered the longevity of shows that center themselves around characters in high school. The core is there for 4 years, at the most, and then you're forced with having a barrage of story lines, all the while still trying to make them seem cohesive. While I will always love this show, I, like many others, have had a hard time adjusting to the original group being separated. There were good "moments" in this season, but nothing like that of seasons 1-3. In all fairness, there were a few episodes that I really enjoyed. Some scenes are hard to watch, knowing the ultimate outcome of Finn's character. With the death of Cory Monteith (Finn), it feels as though the show is on life support with very little chance of surviving (Season 5 is the worst yet). I can't even imagine how they are going to make it through the rest of this season AND still continue into a 6th and final season. You should always finish the race strong, and I fear that Glee missed its opportunity and instead is going to go out dragging itself across the finish line.
on August 30, 2013
I liked this season enough to watch it but don't LOVE it like I loved the first couple of seasons. There are WAY too many characters to have a real story and there's just too much going on. It's also super corny and too much "Trying to teach a lesson" and trying to be too politically correct. Still love the songs tho.
on August 22, 2013
Basically, began watching after enjoying "Don't Stop Believing" remake video from pilot. Although considered mostly a "teen dramedy" I strongly suspect older adults enjoyed Season 1-3 due to great song arrangements from different genres and decades and strong acting ability from diverse characters. The show had an overall good message of acceptance due to the diverse nature of characters. Most knew the students did not look 15(exception "Curt") and likely no one cared. There was chemistry between characters, esp. Lea Michelle and Cory Monteith (Rachael and Finn.) The show was funny with it's quirky humor, esp. Jane Lynch as Coach Sue Sylvester. Perhaps her portrayal as ultra-conservative coach of the Nat'l ranked cheerleaders set on destroying "Mr. Shue's" (Mark Morrison)Glee Club seemed more outrageously funny knowing her character's portrayal couldn't be more opposite than her real life (based on interviews). Each character was well-developed. The show took on controversial subjects with each season gradually tackling more sensitive, emotionally charged subjects. Season 4 comes in with a whimper. Realizing many are resistant to change, I decided at least to watch. By ep. 18, "Shooting Star" I realized it wasn't simply due to favorites leaving. There was so much talent in 1-3, including rival teams. Rather than find similar replacements for characters already established, loved by their fans, the creators' should have introduced new characters. High School and/or the world is full of interesting people. IMO, Marley was the only character to rival old standards. The music was less diverse. I never read about ratings, but I'm guessing by bringing in the former characters during the holidays, the ratings were slipping. Most likely, teens still enjoyed. They deserve shows geared towards them. But, if enjoyed by teens AND older adults, why change or fix what's not broken? I was angry episode 18 "Shooting Star" used school shooting as a platform for gun control (which I'm for). The 2 subjects, seemingly "thrown" together, completely minimized the effect on the students. The student's effects alone should have been one episode. Rather,it was wrapped up in a couple of statements, Sue's "confession" ending with the message she was protecting a student and fired as an unsung hero. This one episode had enough material to cover an entire season. IMO, this episode best represents why the show has seemingly strayed from aspects making it a hit. Season 4 is sloppy, not as well-written or acted and difficult to care about the new characters. Glee should have ended on a high note after season 3 and created a spin-off with former characters. Perhaps, as in many past high school shows, rename it "Glee - The Next Class" or similar. S.4 which feels more like a platform for Hollywood's personal's agenda rather than an entertaining show featuring diverse characters sending a positive message of acceptance through extraordinary talent of song, dance, acting and comedy.
on December 7, 2015
I find the new cast members, Jake, Ryder and Kitty, completely unappealing. Marley is mildly bearable. I think she is cute and has a nice voice, but thats really all. Kitty is just too mean. She says the most horrible things to people but no one seems to mind. Sue gets away with it because she has power, and has been around since the beginning, Kitty is new and obnoxious. Jake and Ryder don't have anything going for them. I loved the first three seasons so much, but I think that should have been the end or they should have stuck with the tried and true formula. The original cast was so perfect, so it was a impossible to duplicate that magic. Still it is a good show. The music is great and the singing is top notch so if thats what you are looking for then its still a winner.
on December 6, 2012
I love the music from this TV series. The only thing that hits it hard for me is that it is very controversial. It hits every controversial subject out there, and it feels like this year there is too much to take in at one time. They have the graduates come back as well as having all new people. The controversial issues in this series combined with the same ones as last year might be too much. What this series needs is closure so the watchers can move on. In this series so far they are becoming a little overwhelming with the issues and drama it sparks.
on January 18, 2014
Purchased for my daughter, who already owns the other 3 seasons. I started watching this show due to my daughter talking me into it. I really love and enjoy watching Glee. Season 4 is the last one where the character of Finn, played by the late Cory Monteith, will be in the show. He, and his character will be missed..but the show must go on and it has and I enjoy every episode I watch. I am not looking forward to the end of this show, which I have heard, will be only on for maybe 1 or 2 more seasons. Love season 4!
on December 19, 2012
The first couple of episodes of season 4 were awful. I almost stopped watching altogether. The Finn story-line was stupid. From then on the episodes have majorly improved. I'm in my late 30's and I was transported back to my freshman year of college and the unsuccessful attempts of trying to hang on to that high school romance. Yes I have cried watching Glee this season. Marly the new girl has an awesome set of pipes and sounds nothing like Rachel. I'm so glad they've kept many of the same characters around in semi-plausable ways...though sharing roles in Grease was a little over the top. That episode was a bit ridiculous. The music rocks as always though even though some episodes are amazing and some aren't.
on April 24, 2014
Season 4 was very inconsistent and felt scattered most of the time. Rachel and Kurt went to New York and the rest of the graduates are scattered across the country perusing their own post high school educational and vocational interests. That left Me. Schu with only half a glee club so they had auditions but only found 2 decent prospects. The they find out that Finn washed out of the army and after a brief stay in New York he went home to Lima. He needs his confinrnce back so Mr Schu and Artie wrangle him into co directing the fall musical with Artie and that goes well so Mr Schu leaves him in charge of the glee club while he goes off to Washington for a few months to save the arts in the schools (really just a contrived reason for the actor to skip a hand full of episodes so he can go on tour). They cherrypick members of the musical cast and now have enough members of the glee club to complete in sectionals. New characters are added and fledged out but every excuse possible is used to bring back the graduates who are inexplicably still listed as series regulars. But when they do the new group are shoved to the back of the room and are mostly just there. Eventually Mr Schu comes back and after some conflict Finn starts college and Mr Schu asks him to co lead the glee club. A great deal is made out of this and then he is inexplicably gone from the last 2-3 episodes of the season (the actor Clory Monteth was in rehab and later passed away over the summer). His absence was jaring and they really should have at least made some excuse but didn't.

I think they did their best going on the premise they did but it would have made more sense to give the graduates their own spin-off Glee New York or something to that effect (done by the same produbtion company) and done occasional crossovers only when it made the most sense and gave both casts the screen time to shine.
on July 24, 2016
A good season, engaging characters, and good music (although I have to admit to fast forwarding thru every single time Lea Michelle opened her mouth to sing, I can only listen to so much "Belting Out") This season it seemed to me that the storylines were more important than the music anyway. Jane Lynch's Sue Slyvester is really becoming a caricature of mean though... it was amusing at first, now it is just pedantic & tired.
on December 5, 2012
No, you will not find cars flipping and bursting into flame or high-speed chases, but Glee zings and sings quickly. As the cast of characters grows and as obligations to feature each one become complex, the story line is brief, more like a quick segue between big musical production numbers. If you've ever taken your wee ones to a performance of Sesame Street Live or even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I'm several decades old, okay?), then you know what I mean: the story is thin in order to bring along the music, dance, and applause. I still watch. I still care about these kids, but the narrative may well be lost and forgotten completely in 2013.